442 - Aggressive Attacking Heavy Metal

****TACTIC DOWNLOAD*****

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6l5hxg5kt430ra0/Plymouth.fmf/file

So after years of using 451 and 433 variations I decided to go for a change, taking into account the current match engine and figuring out how it works I settled on a philosophy of

- gung ho attacking football 

- lots of shots and crosses

- flood the box looking for rebounds

- set pieces, anything to maximise my scoring potential

- heavy pressing

- direct

- high up the pitch

- risky football with an old fashioned 442.

The results are very good. Back to back promotions with Plymouth without spending a single penny on a transfer.  86 and 92 goals scored in the two seasons.

Here's the formation and team instructions (AWAY from home I change the CMR to DEFEND duty, the CML to SUPPORT duty and take off STOPPER from the CB's, everything else stays the same)

The only team instruction I use that doesnt appear to be suitable for the style is the 'play out of defence' but I do this to simply reduce the overall aggressiveness of the direct balls. It stops the keeper and the centre backs ALWAYS doing it. In fact my keeper always plays it short.

formation.thumb.jpg.b5f0965b592f036e9cc9073441f7634a.jpg

Here's some statistics showing that I'm getting more shots than anyone, creating more chances, getting more crosses and even the much sought after possession stats (despite not appearing to be a possession based tactic) This is purely because of the aggressiveness of which I get the ball back and create. These are all taken in my second season where the tactic is completely fluid and despite being newly promoted.

chances.thumb.jpg.a0a913a5a51a7c097c440f456947e974.jpgcrosses.thumb.jpg.322485bc796071f5ceb1d018a990a8c0.jpg1103673484_shotsontrarget.thumb.jpg.b5cd579509a649e0ef4522e67a775f74.jpgpossesion.thumb.jpg.1d95c5b0ffa79cdebafc0f729d4f9a42.jpg

Most goals in the league two years in a row by some distance 86 and 92, squad stats also show I've managed to get my centre forwards scoring, something I found impossible using non 442 tactics.

My goals come from basically everywhere, I get a lot of SET PIECES (I have a heavy focus on these in training) LONG DISTANCE, REBOUNDS and HEADERS from CROSSES. One on ones are a problem but it makes no difference because the goals come from elsewhere.

1322707160_leagueone.thumb.jpg.d9ae893f2be6b3b3f7dbd6fdcd5acc8e.jpg2039256796_leaguetwo.thumb.jpg.faef8f7491edddffed7f31cf7595dcf4.jpgstats.thumb.jpg.a02dec7431e88ea6a1505bf049805b34.jpg

Here are a few of my most impressive performances, these tend to be the type of statistics I see in most of my matches.

454890981_boltonhome.thumb.jpg.d61a2aa273d1182a0b85b9d34be600b4.jpg1288552984_peterbrohome.thumb.jpg.339a36aa99fe922105753af433dcabb9.jpg1444125955_swanseahome.thumb.jpg.455262ca0223a23e14a5d52d75aedf3f.jpg

HOW IT PLAYS ON THE MATCH ENGINE - A typical match sees me dominate, my players do play it short but whenever someone is open or in space further up the pitch, the ball is launched. Of course you concede possession a lot doing this but the relentlessness as to which the players win it back means they'll get another chance to set up a chance at goal. Long range shots a plenty, rarely look for a perfect passing goal. It is get the ball in the goal as quickly as possible. Expect 100 mile an hour games with an avalanche of chances. Due to my offside trap and pacey defenders I constantly catch forwards offside.

PLAYERS 

Like with most tactics you do need the right players to make it work and although that is ten times more difficult in doing at a lower league level it can be done as long as its better than everyone elses.

GK - Goalkeepers are better in this FM than they've ever been, as long as youve got a good shot stopper to handle the ones on ones that come with playing a high line you'll be fine.

RB /LB - The areas of focus for me where CROSSING, STAMINA, WORK RATE and PACE. All these attributes I required players of between 11 and 20.

CB/CB -  Due to the high line and the high number of turnovers it is ESSENTIAL to have pacey centre backs. I wasnt too concerned about technical attributes but more so PACE, ACCELERATION, HEADING AND JUMPING REACH which I mostly had at between 11 and 20. PACE a minimum of 13 though.

RM - The most aggressive of my midfielders, again looking for more physical attributes like PACE STAMINA WORK RATE. The PPM'S with ball carrying work great too here.  

CMR - The one player in my team I need to be technically gifted as hes the deepest and also my set piece taker. I got a player called Pedro MENDES on a free, As you can see from the team stats he got 17 assists. Most of these were from deep long balls and set pieces. So his PASSING, VISION, TECHNIQUE need to really be all above 11.

CML - Similar to the RM, because he's on attack duty I'm looking more for those runs forward, so PACE, STAMINA. A decent  LONG SHOT helps too as I have the team instruction set to shoot on sight.

ML - Admittedly probably the least effective player in my team, I've had Danny MAYOR there for two years and he's a bit jack of all trades with his attributes, he's also a right footer playing as a wide midfielder on support. Hopefully I can upgrade to a proper left winger in the summer and really see how the role performs. 

FWDL - The main goalscoring threat, was very lucky to snap up Joe GARNER on a free, he's got good FINISHING, COMPOSURE stats and PPM's that suit a centre forward. 

FWDR - Proper old fashioned partnership here which is I think quite essential, little and large. I've got Rudy GESTEDE who possesses STRENGTH, HEADING, JUMPING REACH, AGGRESSION etc. This tactic plays a lot of direct football and the ball needs to stick. If you stick a target man in this role it works wonders and is very impressive to see work. 

NEGATIVES

ONE ON ONE CHANCES  - Due to the aggressive nature of the press and high line, expect a lot of balls over the top leading to one on ones. But as we know, one on ones in this game are actually preferable to defending crosses, long shots etc. I very rarely have players running down the wings against me because the AI tends to only focus on catching me out with balls down the middle. This is great because my defenders are fast and can not only catch up a lot of the time but they can win the ball back and get to rebounds quickly.

YELLOW CARDS/RED CARDS - My team do a lot of tactical fouling, it is actually quite beautiful to watch, my centre backs have STOPPER on so charge into people a lot. I don't mind though.

cards.thumb.jpg.430490d5187dea9100756d6372580bf0.jpg

The OPPOSITION 

I cant say I've noticed a difference in results based on what formation the opposition play, what they tend to always do is match me half way through the game. They will always try to change to a 442, especially if starting with a 352. Rarely changes the game really.

Edited by iownyou
left out into

Whilst I haven't tried it, got to say it's a very well wrote tactic thread but I think you missed out on attaching the tactic itself (you can still edit the post though and attach it). Got me really curious about a double stopper setup though, to me it doesn't make much sense.

2 hours ago, Danwolf said:

Whilst I haven't tried it, got to say it's a very well wrote tactic thread but I think you missed out on attaching the tactic itself (you can still edit the post though and attach it). Got me really curious about a double stopper setup though, to me it doesn't make much sense.

If you can imagine two Nicolas Otamendi's on the pitch at the same time. That's how it acts. That's probably not reassuring but thankfully it works in the game.

I iownyou - great write up and I may give it a go.  I am just about to start pre season in my 5th season with Mallorca so a perfect time to try I guess.

I have finished the last 3 seasons in the Europa League positions but just can't break the top four.  Maybe your tactic will do the business...

Capture.JPG

Really impressed so far, 5 wins on the bounce for my very poor Ipswich squad in their first season in the Prem' , lot's of 1-0 wins but my right winger has banged in 5 goals in 5!

@iownyou

Really important artributes you didn't mention centre backs need when playing high line and offside trap is team work and composure.

Team Work so they stay on the same page and are doing the same thing, composure so they don't do anything rash which would break the offside trap.

Just going to give this tactic a go on my Nottingham Forest save, just got a couple of questions:

1) Do you do opposition instructions or leave to your assistant manager?

2) Touchline shouts do you use these or again leave to your assistant manager?

3) Training wise you say heavy on set pieces training but what other training would you recommend?

Thanks

On 28/01/2020 at 12:06, PinheadedMike said:

Just going to give this tactic a go on my Nottingham Forest save, just got a couple of questions:

1) Do you do opposition instructions or leave to your assistant manager?

2) Touchline shouts do you use these or again leave to your assistant manager?

3) Training wise you say heavy on set pieces training but what other training would you recommend?

Thanks

Nope never do opposition instructions, don’t do shouts either. I tend to just tell players to ease off tackles if they’re on a booking but overall I just let my team play. 
apart from heavy set piece training I do lots of wing play training and physical training.