Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
EnigMattic1

Tactical inspiration.

Ok, so you have just taken over at a new club and you are now looking at Tactics. 

Where do you draw your inspiration from? 

For me, it has been from a number of places:

Established managers like Cruyff, Guardiola or Klopp. The real life playing style of the club I'm currently managing. Knowledgeable members of this forum, be it by threads by the likes of Cleon and Rashidi, or advice from people such as Experienced Defender. Or finally, as strange as it sounds, Moneyball (damn you spreadsheets and data analysis). 

I was a big fan of the way Barca played under Luis Enrique.

But I'm basically not that great at the game so I'm going right to the lower levels, to "learn my trade" for a bit.

18 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

I was a big fan of the way Barca played under Luis Enrique.

But I'm basically not that great at the game so I'm going right to the lower levels, to "learn my trade" for a bit.

I used to try and play like Guardiola in the lower leagues and wondered why it wouldn't work (many fm's ago). Then I came on here and got a better understanding of the tactical setup. 

16 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I used to try and play like Guardiola in the lower leagues and wondered why it wouldn't work (many fm's ago). Then I came on here and got a better understanding of the tactical setup. 

as far as lower leagues go, I see plenty of tactical posts here, but relatively few posts about developing effective set piece routines.

Sure, theres a thread about corners on here recently, but would love to get some good lower league set piece routines going.

6 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

as far as lower leagues go, I see plenty of tactical posts here, but relatively few posts about developing effective set piece routines.

Sure, theres a thread about corners on here recently, but would love to get some good lower league set piece routines going.

Honestly, set pieces is my weak link. I don't know where to start half the time. 

I'm enjoying a sort-of-lopsided 4-4-2 based on a real-life example, and I'm delighted I've got it working as i've not had much success like that before. I've just finished re-reading Inverting the Pyramid and the section about Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest gave me some ideas for my current game. 

It refers to Cloughie's 4-4-2 which had  John Robertson as a left-winger playing really high and not worried too much about tracking back, because it's balanced on the other side by Martin O'Neil playing right mid but actually sitting fairly narrow. His narrowness also allowed Vic Richardson to overlap up the right-hand side as well.

After some tinkering, and some settings that related to the Club Vision, I have an attacking left Wing-Back who overlaps my Inverted Winger, and the other side as an attacking winger who is backed-up by a more defensive right back.

It was a chapter that got me thinking about how I could apply to my team as I felt it would work with the squad I have, and sure enough it is working an absolute treat (as Mainz in the Bundesliga).

38 minutes ago, Edinton said:

I'm enjoying a sort-of-lopsided 4-4-2 based on a real-life example, and I'm delighted I've got it working as i've not had much success like that before. I've just finished re-reading Inverting the Pyramid and the section about Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest gave me some ideas for my current game. 

It refers to Cloughie's 4-4-2 which had  John Robertson as a left-winger playing really high and not worried too much about tracking back, because it's balanced on the other side by Martin O'Neil playing right mid but actually sitting fairly narrow. His narrowness also allowed Vic Richardson to overlap up the right-hand side as well.

After some tinkering, and some settings that related to the Club Vision, I have an attacking left Wing-Back who overlaps my Inverted Winger, and the other side as an attacking winger who is backed-up by a more defensive right back.

It was a chapter that got me thinking about how I could apply to my team as I felt it would work with the squad I have, and sure enough it is working an absolute treat (as Mainz in the Bundesliga).

I've tried recreating tactics based on real life teams (Fergie's '99 Utd side, Wengers Invincibles, Total Football) and I have found that books are very underrated in terms of detail and inspiration.