[FM19] Striker advice need

Hello everyone,

I manage The Championship side Millwall 7 years in the future. I am about in the middle of the season.

I need your advice what position and what skills striker I need for my side to score some goals.

My situation looks that:

- I am 10th in the league so far

- Plays possession and my club is the best with passes and possession in the league.

- My side is 4th in the league about taken shoots and a bit sad is the most shots are from my strikers and the most of them are not on target. 

- My best strikers at club currently are AML AMR and CM

- Suddenly for 6 matches in row they cannot score anymore and my strikers still cannot score anything.

- I am dropping a lot in the league table

I have two strikers with 5 stars ability playing as AFat but they are 22 and 25 years old so maybe this is issue that they combined in 21 matches scored 3 goals. 

Tactic is(sorry for no picture. Away from PC):

AFat

IFat -                    - Wat

MEZat    BBMsu

HBde

FBat CDde CDde FBsu

SKsu

I need you to tell me what skills should have strikers to score some goals and what position on the field should have.

Otherwise I will be sacked :-O

thank you.

Not really.

I have more than 20 shots on opposite goal and about 5 on target. Zero goals.

My opponent has about 4 shots and all of them on target. I do loose only 1:0 almost every match.

It is attacking because it looks solid defensively. I am proud of it. But lack of goals makes me loosing matches by one goal only...I should score much more.

If my striker would score as suppose to I would not mind loose one or two goals.

At the begining of season I was playing same way as I said and only AML and AMR and MEZ scored goals. Then I was winning matches 4:1, 6:2. It is Okey. But when my midfielders stopped scoring and my striker still do not net any of goals I do loose.(plus some unexpected injuries obv)

They have chances a lot and cannot find the back of net.

What attributes I should look for to get new striker which will fit this and score a bit?

Maybe I should change to pressing forward so maybe would score something? I have no idea.

4 hours ago, Misqut said:

I need your advice what position and what skills striker I need for my side to score some goals

How do you mean "what position" ??? If you play him as a striker, then his position is just that - the striker

4 hours ago, Misqut said:

AFat

IFat -                    - Wat

MEZat    BBMsu

HBde

FBat CDde CDde FBsu

SKsu

Your left flank is a recipe for defensive disaster

Btw, here we can see only your roles and duties. What about the mentality and team instructions? 

My best strikers at club currently are AML AMR and CM

What ??? You mean you play your (best) strikers in AML/R and CM positions instead of playing them in the striker position? Or you play natural AMR, AML and CM in the striker position instead of their normal positions? 

27 minutes ago, Misqut said:

What attributes I should look for to get new striker which will fit this and score a bit?

You don't need a new striker. You need a lot more balanced setup of roles and duties. Probably also a more sensible tactic overall, but I don't know your mentality and instructions, so I cannot tell you what else you should change. I can only assume (from my overall experience on this forum) that it's needlessly aggressive and full of unnecessary instructions.

I meant my AMR, AML and CM has scored a lot goals and they are natural at their positions. They play there as well.

I have two 5-stars strikers and they play on striker position obv(I just rotate them). They shot many times (about 20 every match) most of it is not even on target. They both do not score. So I though to change their role(mistaken I said position but I meant role). I know the tactic look attacking but I have what I want - a lot of shots. But my strikers cannot score goals. This is the main issue. I was asking how to make them score goals. What attribute would be great for striker at Championship then?

46 minutes ago, Hilly1979 said:

I’m not sure how looking at that set up you think it’s defensively stable, there’s not much defensive about it, i don’t think you can blame losing games purely on failing to score.

But if I would score one or two from over 20 chances would help a lot, is it?

1 hour ago, Misqut said:

I have two 5-stars strikers and they play on striker position obv(I just rotate them). They shot many times (about 20 every match) most of it is not even on target. They both do not score. So I though to change their role(mistaken I said position but I meant role). I know the tactic look attacking but I have what I want - a lot of shots. But my strikers cannot score goals. This is the main issue. I was asking how to make them score goals

Only changing the strikers' role will not help them score goals. They are part of the whole system, so you cannot look at them in isolation. And your problem is not just the strikers, but poor results (otherwise, you wouldn't fear being sacked). So the whole tactic needs to be fixed. But we still don't know anything about your team instructions and mentality.

18 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Only changing the strikers' role will not help them score goals. They are part of the whole system, so you cannot look at them in isolation. And your problem is not just the strikers, but poor results (otherwise, you wouldn't fear being sacked). So the whole tactic needs to be fixed. But we still don't know anything about your team instructions and mentality.

Exactly this @Misqut I think you need to get the rest of the system stable before you worry about strikers not scoring goals, as @Experienced Defender Says it doesn’t matter what role your striker is playing if the rest of your system is not set up correctly, but we don’t know enough about what you want to achieve and how.

The problem you're most likely facing is that teams have changed their defending against you to one that is deep meaning your attack duty players have no space to exploit.

This means you have to create that space by adopting an approach that doesn't allow the opposition time to regroup and also that brings their players out of position.

The best way to do that is win the ball inside your own half much more frequently instead of the opposition half and play more direct and higher tempo from deeper positions.

But to encourage the opponent into your own half you must use more support duties, reduce closing down, lower the line of engagement, lower the defensive line and play a slightly lower mentality.

You must also tell your goalkeeper to distribute long balls quickly and not play out of defence or work ball into box.

Perhaps counterintuitively it may also be beneficial to not use the Counter instruction.

It is important to be aware that if your team is lacking good pace and acceleration in the midfield and attack this approach will not be as successful as if they weren't.

Edited by permanentquandary