Sports Interactive Community

I've been playing my save for a few seasons now with various types of this formation. I'm now coming to a point where my job is insecure because I've only scored 5 goals in 6 games and drawn 5 of those games. We are the favourites in the championship and I don't seem to be able to break teams down. I am fine defensively but appreciate big changes my change that. Any ideas how to produce more goals out of this tactic? I've got 2 of the best strikers in the league in Pedro and Brewster.

Thanks in advance

20200104011725_1.jpg

How good is your complete wing back ?

If he's one of your best players going forward put him on attack duty and make Green an Inverted winger on Support to encourage the natural overlap. You have a holding midfielder so you should be able to cope with your complete wing back maurding down the flank.

Change gilkes to attack duty, just to try and add more penetration and take off dribble less, use a couple PIs on any individual players you do not want to attempt dribbles. 

Remove pass into space because your pushed higher up the pitch there isn't much space ahead of you for your attackers to run into.

Alternatively lower your line of engagement, you currently have a big space between your forward players and the rest of team, with a low line of engagement you can keep pass into space on, this is effective if your forward 3 are pacey players.

I would also remove roll it out to full backs, your limiting your goalkeeper options there might be a better option for him your restricting him taking. Unless your goalkeeper has terrible decision making ? 

Finally if your team are favourites you could try starting games with Positive mentality and adjust mid game if you get a goal or two.

I would say so too. As you are favorites in the league most opponents will dig in deap and you got the problem with full box and less space. start with a standard LOE and a less specified TI, then watch out where space occours and adapt your tactics during first half to use the space. If the opponent dig in and the box is full then usual the flanks are free for your CWB on attack duty.

18 hours ago, BlairNo.1 said:

20200104011725_1.jpg

18 hours ago, BlairNo.1 said:

Any ideas how to produce more goals out of this tactic?

I can only tell you what I personally would change in this tactic in order to improve it and make it more balanced overall. 

First, AF as a lone striker usually tends to struggle in systems with a high LOE. So either drop the LOE (to standard for starters) or change the striker's role into PF on attack duty. Or both.

AP on attack duty works better in counter-attacking styles (or those that are generally based on faster attacking transitions). That's another reason to drop the LOE. Or change the AP's duty to support.

Defense-wise, your left flank looks pretty insecure with a CWB, BBM and IF on attack duty + the overlap left TI.

With standard DL paired with high LOE, you are compromising vertical compactness, which adds to the defensive vulnerability. And even more so with the more urgent pressing (not to mention the counter-press).

Taking all the above into account, this is how I would set it up:

PFat

IFsu                                 Wsu

CAR     APat

DMde

FBat    CDde   CDde     FBsu

SKsu

Start with no instructions at all and on the Balanced mentality (which you are already playing under), watch what happens and only make small gradual tweaks if and when necessary. 

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've implemented some of those (mainly from Experienced Defender) and I'm now 6 point clear at the top of the Championship with 12 games left and scored the most goals in the league.

:-)