My club is not producing good newgens even though I have perfect 10/10 facilities and recruitment

I'm Hertha BSC and upgraded facilities, recruitment and coaching to the max in everything. This year's youth intake is again predicted to be a very poor class. It's starting to get frustrating as I love to develop from within but there is just nothing for 6th year in a row. Anything I can do? My HOYD is Bernhard Peters.

Nothing you can do, no. Besides maybe reloading your youth intake over and over until you're satisfied.

Your only option is to stack as many % in your favor as possible and hope for the best.

On a side note, nothing but personality of the HOYD really matters for newgens.

8 minutes ago, dioniz said:

I'm Hertha BSC and upgraded facilities, recruitment and coaching to the max in everything. This year's youth intake is again predicted to be a very poor class. It's starting to get frustrating as I love to develop from within but there is just nothing for 6th year in a row. Anything I can do? My HOYD is Bernhard Peters.

Luck of the draw... you've given yourself the best chance, you will just have to wait and see if it starts producing.

I love how rare really great newgens are in your academy. Most youth intake players are barely worth setting up training for, let alone signing them up. But when you do get the rare 5 star recruit then do everything you can to ensure he makes it to first team it feels pretty great

10 minutes ago, dioniz said:

I get that but I rarely produce even 3 stars newgen. Haven't had a 4 stars yet. For what my facilities offer, I should produce at least one 4 stars newgen a year.

How far have you taken Hertha? If you've established them as a top European powerhouse, then a 3 or 4 star newgen is still a great prospect. The star ratings are relative to your current squad.

10 minutes ago, dioniz said:

I get that but I rarely produce even 3 stars newgen. Haven't had a 4 stars yet. For what my facilities offer, I should produce at least one 4 stars newgen a year.

No, you shouldn't. How well are you doing as a club? I'm going to guess that you're around a Europa League level side. If so, that means a 4* player would be one of the best in your team, and a world-class player in their position. No academy in the world producers a world-class player every year. A 3* newgen is still rated as good enough to start for you in the future, and getting one of those per year is very good going (how many clubs in real life at the top end have an academy player break through annually?)

1 hour ago, dioniz said:

Well, we actually won the CL last season, so there's that...

That's definitely it then. There'll probably only be about one player per year *in the world* generated who goes on to be good enough to be 4* in your team, let alone just at your club.

A few pointers here:

1. First of all, the stars can and will be wrong sometimes. I've had players come through with 2 stars and turn out to be amazing. The stars are the "perceived potential" and "perceived ability", and not necessarily the facts. Of course if you are using an editor it's easier to see the underlying numbers...

2. The stars also depends on how good your current team is. If you are winning the CL every year and have the best team in the world, you won't get that many players rated to be better than your current first team squad. 3 stars is very good in that case, since that means around the average of your current first team, any higher means great.

3. The luck of the draw. There are a random element in this and sometime you hit and sometimes you miss. Look at real life, not even Barcelona gets amazing players coming through regularly. Before Ansu Fati, who was the latest supertalent from La Masia? A lot have been hyped, but few have delivered the last few years.

I'm also managing Hertha Berlin , 4th season i had 0 talented players. I had to terminate 90% of the players because they just have awful attributes with little to no potential.Won a cup, Bundesliga, increased club reptutation, top notch facilities, youth recruitment, junior coaching. Something feels off, because in previous FM's i would have at least one talented player per year, this version i had 0 in 4 years. It doesn't feel right.

29 minutes ago, dubaRA7 said:

I'm also managing Hertha Berlin , 4th season i had 0 talented players. I had to terminate 90% of the players because they just have awful attributes with little to no potential.Won a cup, Bundesliga, increased club reptutation, top notch facilities, youth recruitment, junior coaching. Something feels off, because in previous FM's i would have at least one talented player per year, this version i had 0 in 4 years. It doesn't feel right.

It's. Not. Linear.

Upping you facilities gives you a better chance for good youngsters, it doesn't give you better youngsters. And for all we know, the workings under the hood are different from what people expect. For example, lets say you improve your youth recruitment. However, the next batch of players under the hood ran through your old facilities, hence they'll still not be nice. Maybe even the next five or six batches of players will still be influenced by your older academy. It would make sense that if you upgraded your youth facilities now, you'd start reaping the rewards somewhere 5-10 years in the future, really. Not 6 months later.

On 02/01/2020 at 19:38, Dkfootball said:

But in real life how often do clubs produce top youngsters all the time? It's rare

Yes very rare.

GettyImages-1142293695.jpg?h=5701276e&it

De Jong, Blind, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Eriksen, Sneijder, van der Vaart, Huntelaar. Not to mention the 1995 squad. Yet when you play Ajax it's ****.

13 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

Alderweireld moved to Ajax at the age of 15, Vertonghen at 16. Both were youth products of the Belgian club Beerschot and didn't really flow through the youth setup in Amsterdam. The same goes for Eriksen at the age of 16. De Jong signed for Ajax at the age of 18, coming through the youth setup of Willem II. Huntelaar signed for Ajax at the age of 23 (!) and came through at De Graafschap before signing for PSV. And Blind is a lot of things and a very good player, but he's not world class. 

You are really bad at digging up examples to be honest. Ajax have probably one of the best youth setups in the world but even they don't produce a world beater every year, or even every few years. 

Over the last 15 years, Van Der Vaart and Sneijder have probably been the only ones who really established themselves with major clubs at the top level. De Ligt could be the next one but he still has a very, very long way to go judging by how he started at Juve. 

Een Belg die het beter denkt te weten :D overigens niet de eerste keer dat ik jou bepaalde negatieve meningen over de game zie verdedigen. Die eerste worden gewoon genoemd als eigen jeugd, ook in FM. Overigens zouden al die spelers in dat rijtje nooit hun potentieel bereiken als ze niet bij Ajax zouden spelen, zowel Huntelaar als de Jong zijn simpelweg te licht bevonden in de jeugdopleiding en dat is iets waarin scouts incapabel zijn in FM omdat de AI altijd sneller de speler weten te scouten.

Ik zie hier ook enkele spelers over bepaalde sterren posten, als je 15 jaar lang elke game de meeste jeugdinlichtingen door gaat spitten met GenieScout of FMRTE zie je zelden iets hoger voorbij komen dan 160 PA en dat is een serieus probleem wat je niet kan ontkennen, terwijl als je met desbetreffende club niet een game start er opeens allemaal regens voorbij komen met hogere PA's. Dat is gewoon onzin en een trucje wat geprogrammeerd is in de game door SI. Die sterren zijn ook vrij accuraat bij de meeste users hier omdat ik er van uitga dat de meeste users beginnen met topclubs waar met een goede staff word gewerkt. 

Others can translate, too bothered to explain in English. 

Edited by Sanel

5 hours ago, sidslayer said:

Man U continue to bring through top talent every few years. To say top clubs don’t bring through top players year on year is not accurate. Man City the same, albeit they snap up kids from all over the world.

Man Utd are exceptionally good at bringing through youth talent that's good enough to play in the Premier League, but it's pretty rare for them to bring through a player with the potential of Rashford, which is how good a player at United has to be to be [accurately] rated 4*. If you're managing United and you get a Cleverley and a Drinkwater instead of a Rashford, they can probably do a job for you in the future but your HOYD will probably say it's a poor intake and not rate anyone higher than 3*

26 minutes ago, Sanel said:

Een Belg die het beter denkt te weten :D overigens niet de eerste keer dat ik jou bepaalde negatieve meningen over de game zie verdedigen. Die eerste worden gewoon genoemd als eigen jeugd, ook in FM. Overigens zouden al die spelers in dat rijtje nooit hun potentieel bereiken als ze niet bij Ajax zouden spelen, zowel Huntelaar als de Jong zijn simpelweg te licht bevonden in de jeugdopleiding en dat is iets waarin scouts incapabel zijn in FM omdat de AI altijd sneller de speler weten te scouten.

Ik zie hier ook enkele spelers over bepaalde sterren posten, als je 15 jaar lang elke game de meeste jeugdinlichtingen door gaat spitten met GenieScout of FMRTE zie je zelden iets hoger voorbij komen dan 160 PA en dat is een serieus probleem wat je niet kan ontkennen, terwijl als je met desbetreffende club niet een game start er opeens allemaal regens voorbij komen met hogere PA's. Dat is gewoon onzin en een trucje wat geprogrammeerd is in de game door SI. Die sterren zijn ook vrij accuraat bij de meeste users hier omdat ik er van uitga dat de meeste users beginnen met topclubs waar met een goede staff word gewerkt. 

Others can translate, too bothered to explain in English. 

Whether or not said players would have reached their potential playing at Ajax is beside the point. The thing is that, maybe with the exception of Alderweireld, they would have not come through the youth setup the way your regens do so they shouldn't be part of your comparison. 

Not defending, but bringing some nuance. Expecting a 160+ PA player in every intake is ridiculous and utterly unrealistic. 

Also, the suggestion that the game would produce better regens when the club is managed by an AI manager is just ludicrous, not even going to dignify that with an answer because it's one of those myth things that you can't prove or disprove. I'll just put that in the same category as 'I had more shots than the opponent and didn't win thus the game must be biased against the human player'. 

Edited by KlaaZ

11 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

Whether or not said players would have reached their potential playing at Ajax is beside the point. The thing is that, maybe with the exception of Alderweireld, they would have not come through the youth setup the way your regens do so they shouldn't be part of your comparison. 

Not defending, but bringing some nuance. Expecting a 160+ PA player in every intake is ridiculous and utterly unrealistic. 

Also, the suggestion that the game would produce better regens when the club is managed by an AI manager is just ludicrous, not even going to dignify that with an answer because it's one of those myth things that you can't prove or disprove. I'll just put that in the same category as 'I had more shots than the opponent and didn't win thus the game must be biased against the human player'. 

Waar geef ik precies aan dat ik dat verwacht in elke youth intake? Ik baseer dat niet op een paar games hé, maar op basis van een paar honderd seizoenen over 15 jaar irl. Het aantal jeugdspelers met een PA boven de 160 kan ik misschien op één hand tellen, of misschien iets meer, kun je wel mooi omheen lullen hier aangezien de meeste users niet eens weten dat iets als een PA bestaat. 

Het feit dat je niet op de hoogte bent van het scoutingsgedrag van de AI binnen FM zegt mij ergens dat je nog niet heel lang FM speelt. Volgens mij heb je geen idee, maar bon. Als je dit voor jezelf wilt bewijzen moet je maar eens een game starten en op de dag van de youth intake bij een speler van 180+ PA checken of er interesse is van een Europese topclub, wat nu dus ook gebeurt, alleen is het nu voor de speler zelf niet te doen in FM 20 omdat de youth intake datums variabel zijn per club. De AI heeft dus hierop een voorsprong en kan dus m.a.w. veel sneller scouten. 

45 minutes ago, Sanel said:

Waar geef ik precies aan dat ik dat verwacht in elke youth intake? Ik baseer dat niet op een paar games hé, maar op basis van een paar honderd seizoenen over 15 jaar irl. Het aantal jeugdspelers met een PA boven de 160 kan ik misschien op één hand tellen, of misschien iets meer, kun je wel mooi omheen lullen hier aangezien de meeste users niet eens weten dat iets als een PA bestaat. 

Het feit dat je niet op de hoogte bent van het scoutingsgedrag van de AI binnen FM zegt mij ergens dat je nog niet heel lang FM speelt. Volgens mij heb je geen idee, maar bon. Als je dit voor jezelf wilt bewijzen moet je maar eens een game starten en op de dag van de youth intake bij een speler van 180+ PA checken of er interesse is van een Europese topclub, wat nu dus ook gebeurt, alleen is het nu voor de speler zelf niet te doen in FM 20 omdat de youth intake datums variabel zijn per club. De AI heeft dus hierop een voorsprong en kan dus m.a.w. veel sneller scouten. 

That's odd, because I have at least five players with a PA of 150 or higher (highest one being 177) that I picked up at smaller clubs,or for free because they didn't have a club, (and not at their intake day) without there being any interest for them from teams in bigger competitions. You should probably stop making stuff up, really. 

if you wanna be a scum bag around the 13th December you will get an update on youth intake, save the game around the 10th and reload until you get a decent intake,,,urgh dirty.

then around the 10th march save the game AGAIN you get another chance to slightly buff the youth intake as they will physically arrive around the 13th.

save scumming has always been a thing but fm 20 has made it, sadly easier to cheese it.

I'm guessing you're in bundesliga, I think when I was doing my 1860 Munich save I had at least one 3.5 star rated player each intake.

When I took over dortmund I had a couple of 4 stars, which I guess is to be expected.

Haven't got to the youth intake in my Uruguay save but given the starting youth team I have high hopes :)

This is with exceptional youth recruitment/excellent junior coaching at each club.

11 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

It's. Not. Linear.

Upping you facilities gives you a better chance for good youngsters, it doesn't give you better youngsters. And for all we know, the workings under the hood are different from what people expect. For example, lets say you improve your youth recruitment. However, the next batch of players under the hood ran through your old facilities, hence they'll still not be nice. Maybe even the next five or six batches of players will still be influenced by your older academy. It would make sense that if you upgraded your youth facilities now, you'd start reaping the rewards somewhere 5-10 years in the future, really. Not 6 months later.

I know that very well. I mention that because  youth facilities improves CA ability of your incoming youngsters. After 4 years my kids are all trash. Could be really bad luck. Anyways if you have TOP youth recruitment in GERMANY with a club that has very good reputation ( in my Save Hertha has 4 stars) you should get fantastic youngsters.Hertha Berlin from the gecko has best possible youth recruitment and youth coaching.

Edited by dubaRA7

For last 5 years i have done so many youth challenge saves, and  from my experience you should get some talents at this point with that kinda level of youth set up in country like Germany, it can't be awful RNG. In previous versions i would get at least 5 or 6 talented players in that time, with that kinda of club. I manage in Germany, France and other smaller countries like Russia and Serbia every single year. Something is off, at least for this club. On the other hand it could be that SI decided to tweak youth recruitment.  

Anyways, i will keep playing the save and see what happens. If i don't get at least a semi decent talent in my club for 5, 6,7 years than what would be the issue? Again small sample size? 

Edited by dubaRA7

8 hours ago, dubaRA7 said:

I know that very well. I mention that because  youth facilities improves CA ability of your incoming youngsters. After 4 years my kids are all trash. Could be really bad luck. Anyways if you have TOP youth recruitment in GERMANY with a club that has very good reputation ( in my Save Hertha has 4 stars) you should get fantastic youngsters.Hertha Berlin from the gecko has best possible youth recruitment and youth coaching.

A few things: 4 years is indeed a very small sample size. Secondly, your rep rating is 4 stars now but at the start it's something like 3.5 stars. Which means you're pretty much at the bottom of the pond when it comes to the spread of German talent at intake day, albeit somewhat migitated by your facilities. Although I assume most other clubs have the same level. 

And for a bit of a reality check, how many fantastic youngsters has Hertha Berlin produced over the past 20 years? 

New year, new bad youth intakes.

Just one player has 3.5 PA. And my director signed just three players and said:

"We must sign this guy with 3.5 PA and these other two guys because to have a bigger roster."

Wtf?

3 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

A few things: 4 years is indeed a very small sample size. Secondly, your rep rating is 4 stars now but at the start it's something like 3.5 stars. Which means you're pretty much at the bottom of the pond when it comes to the spread of German talent at intake day, albeit somewhat migitated by your facilities. Although I assume most other clubs have the same level. 

And for a bit of a reality check, how many fantastic youngsters has Hertha Berlin produced over the past 20 years? 

Right now they have Arne Maier, one of the most promising German midfielders.Maximilian Mittelstadt is a  very promising full back in real life. Jordan Torunarigha was a very promising player, doesn't play that much these days, still young . Lazar Samardzic very talented player, captain of u19 German National team.

Now in past 20 years : Boateng brothers, Nico Schulz, Brooks,Max Phillip.

Not much, but still they do have good youth set up.

Il 3/1/2020 in 20:38 , Mars_Blackmon ha scritto:

You’re team is probably stacked. Stars are relative.

This should be a sticky quote... Or a banner on the top of the GD page...

FFS, if your side is at CL level, it means your average starter will be in the 150-170CA bracket, with a few backups/youngsters a bit lower and the odd World Class player a bit higher.

If your youth intake has 2.5*/3* PA players, it means their PA is something >140... How many future starters at ELITE LEVEL do you expect your academy to churn out? And, for reference, how many Elite players do top-level academies produce IRL?

Even the best and most expensive youth setups don't produce more than a handful of decent (ie. rotation/backup) players per year, with a top talent every few years.

For reference, look at Man Utd's "Jimmy Murphy" winners... For every Giggs, they got a Ronnie Wallwork, for every Scholes a Bojan Djordjic, for every Rashford a plethora of Macheda, Tunnicliffe or Will Keane. And those are the BEST of the lot...
I guess the teammates of those "flops" (who still have gone on to have respectable professional careers) are long lost into the mists of LL football and amateur leagues...

3 hours ago, dubaRA7 said:

Right now they have Arne Maier, one of the most promising German midfielders.Maximilian Mittelstadt is a  very promising full back in real life. Jordan Torunarigha was a very promising player, doesn't play that much these days, still young . Lazar Samardzic very talented player, captain of u19 German National team.

Now in past 20 years : Boateng brothers, Nico Schulz, Brooks,Max Phillip.

Not much, but still they do have good youth set up.

That'd be four players with a PA of 140 or more currently at the club and another five or so with the same PA coming through the ranks over the past two decades, maybe? Judging by that, one 150 PA player roughly every few intakes would be a very good deal (which it would be irl as well, to be honest). Not having anything of that quality coming through for four intakes might be a bit of bad luck, but it's not that worrying. 

Improve your reputation. That should help you attract players with higher PA.

Also the intake can mimic the squad in terms of CA, so try to increase the amount of CA in your current squad as much as you can.

And how bad is your intake? Throughout the years I had similar experiences, when i judged players on the level of their CA/PA alone. But when I looked at it closer i noticed that I was producing 3,4 really good players for my league every year. 1 or 2 per would average 14 or above in the roles I want to play them in (not in game roles, I have my own criteria and its a bit of a complicated formula in excel) and between 2 and 4 per year would max out their attribute average at 13 or more, plus a lot of them would be quite consistent or great at playing important matches.

I have read today about a test that involved club Youth Importance and as far as that test went, a test with two clubs with identical stats bar the youth importance which was 15 and 20, in a simulation of 30 years got double digits in terms of good regens than the other. I am not sure if I am right about this, but Youth Importance is a static attribute, please correct me if I am wrong. So one big problem might be the initial Youth Importance rating for your club. If 5 points give double quality regens, then Youth Importance is really important, pardon the redundancies. It seems Hertha Berlin has 15 YI. Ajax has 19. FC RedBull Salzburg has 20. 

Found the link: 

Edited by godzilu

24 minutes ago, godzilu said:

I have read today about a test that involved club Youth Importance and as far as that test went, a test with two clubs with identical stats bar the youth importance which was 15 and 20, in a simulation of 30 years got double digits in terms of good regens than the other. I am not sure if I am right about this, but Youth Importance is a static attribute, please correct me if I am wrong. So one big problem might be the initial Youth Importance rating for your club. If 5 points give double quality regens, then Youth Importance is really important, pardon the redundancies. It seems Hertha Berlin has 15 YI. Ajax has 19. FC RedBull Salzburg has 20. 

Found the link: 

june 7th 2018...   not necessarily relevant or applicable to the current game.. as you know, things change

6 minutes ago, rinso said:

june 7th 2018...   not necessarily relevant or applicable to the current game.. as you know, things change

Feel free to tell me what changed in terms of regens in the last 3 years. What's Youth Importance used for now? Does Youth Coaching affect elders now? What do Youth Facilities influence today? The wages of the chairman? Youth recruitment? Affects what? Does the Head of Youth Development now affect the retiring date of players?  

No, they do the same things they did last year, two years ago, etc., more or less.

Yes, most probably they have been tuned, but they are in the game for the same purpose. I doubt Youth Importance now affects hair growth.

Edited by godzilu

Just now, godzilu said:

Feel free to tell me what changed in terms of regens in the last 3 years. What's Youth Importance used for now? Does Youth Coaching affect elders now? What do Youth Facilities influence today? The wages of the chairman? Youth recruitment? Affects what? Does the Head of Youth Development now affects the retiring date of player?  No, they do the same things they did last year, two years ago, etc., more or less.

Yes, most probably they have been tuned, but they are in the game for the same purpose. I doubt Youth Importance now affects hair growth.

calm yourself down pal..  all i was suggesting was use stats about the current game to offer suggestions/issues about the current game. Clearly things have evolved in the last 2 years... 

Personally I love seeing 2 or 2.5 star potential players with some decent stats in key areas.

I know with the right training setup, I can probably turn them into 3 or 3.5 star potential players after a couple of seasons, then sell for a few million + 50% of next fee.

Youth development isn't only about the 5 star wonderkids. It's about making the most out of your setup, whoever comes through.

11 hours ago, godzilu said:

Feel free to tell me what changed in terms of regens in the last 3 years. What's Youth Importance used for now? Does Youth Coaching affect elders now? What do Youth Facilities influence today? The wages of the chairman? Youth recruitment? Affects what? Does the Head of Youth Development now affect the retiring date of players?  

No, they do the same things they did last year, two years ago, etc., more or less.

youth importance is not and never was a factor when we talked about newgens because it has nothing to do with newgens. Youth importance is club's general 'philosophy' - higher the number, stricter the requirement to concentrate on youth players. 

And regarding the op post - another year, another player who wants wonderkids and first team players year by year. How many times we have to tell that it's NOT POSSIBLE to produce quality players year by year. Especially when we assume that your squad quality/ability goes up every year. 3 stars players are fine because if you take over liverpool you'll be surprised to find out that 3 star players are Origi, Lovren, Shaquiri for example. And who wouldn't want players of their quality as rotation. 

I'll educate people in the future more about that ;)

1 hour ago, Bigpole said:

youth importance is not and never was a factor when we talked about newgens because it has nothing to do with newgens. Youth importance is club's general 'philosophy' - higher the number, stricter the requirement to concentrate on youth players. 

And regarding the op post - another year, another player who wants wonderkids and first team players year by year. How many times we have to tell that it's NOT POSSIBLE to produce quality players year by year. Especially when we assume that your squad quality/ability goes up every year. 3 stars players are fine because if you take over liverpool you'll be surprised to find out that 3 star players are Origi, Lovren, Shaquiri for example. And who wouldn't want players of their quality as rotation. 

This should be a sticky post somewhere... Preferably as a popup for anyone who types these things in any post! :p

2 hours ago, Bigpole said:

Good to know but I would still make another test just to be sure :D Because something is fishy :kriss: Thank you for the heads up.