Sports Interactive Community
saiyaman

Your Tactic and You

I want to know why you guys use your tactic and how you arrived upon it. This isn't a thread to figure out people's tactical genius thoughts but more on a fond look back on how they evolved their gameplay and I think their stories would be interesting to read.

Even if you don't have a story please do post your tactic basics like the formation or roles and perhaps give a brief explanation as to why that particular formation and instruction draws you to the game.

I'll start:

My favoured formation is a slightly modified 4-2-3-1. It's a 4-2-3-1 DM which looks like this:

---------------AF(A)--------------------

IF(S)--------AM/AP(A)---------IF(A)

----------------BBM(S)-----------------

WB(S) ----------HB(D)---------WB(S)

---------CD(C)-----CD(S)--------------

-----------------G(D)--------------------

I usually play these on Control and Counter with Attacking when I get pissed. I've been using the same formation since FM 14 and it has got me pretty good results. So why do I use this formation? I generally like to buy players and also make sure my youth aren't ignored so my favoured formation is using every youth who comes across. I initially started with 4-1-2-1-2 but expanded to 4-4-2 and Diamond and arrived at 4-2-3-1.

I felt that I usually favour limited instructions and also have a ready set of opposition instructions. I generally have Pass Into Space and Work Ball into Box. I rarely use any other instruction unless I notice flaws in the game as I tend to watch on Extended Highlights.

When I feel particularly angry towards the opposition, I tend to instruct my AM to man mark either their most creative midfielder or their AM to free up my Half Back who can deal with other threats if they have two strikers or generally watch out for his centre backs and drop in with them. Also I tend to go overboard by having my inside forwards man mark the opposite wingers so they are starved of a certain level of creativity. I also find that having my Box to Box midfielder mark their defensive midfield option is a great choice as it tends to disrupt play if my players have a tendency to close down.

I had to experiment over 8+ seasons in FM 14 to arrive at this and I was able to win back to back Champions League before I finally moved on to the next FMs.

What's your story and how did you arrive at your tactic?

I try to play the way that I like to watch football. I like teams that have the ball, attack in a supported, consistent way and dominate the game (ex. Guardiola). I also like teams that, as soon as they loose the ball, start freneticaly working to get it back (ex. Klopp). I don't like pragmatic football (ex. Mourinho, even tho he is a legend to my club and to myself).  I don't like long, direct football were the defenders just shoot a long ball to the forwards and the midfield is only there to recover the second ball. I don't like teams that park the bus, even tho I understand why they do it. I can watch a Man City or Liverpool game anytime, but you plug me Simeone's Atletico and I get bored to the point I either change channel or fall asleep.

So the tactic for FM that I found out to give me the football I love, is heavily inspired on @RashidiLiquid 4123 (4141 ingame). He made it for FM19 but the one I made based on it also use in FM20 all the same. Changes I made, basically get more width in it, more shooting from distance to the midfielders, change the DM from support to defend and have both IWB in support (he made one support and one defend). Then during the games I might change/adapt things depending on the result and what I need. But when I see those sweet, short passing and the team building up creating chances after chances with many players involved on it, completely dominating the opponent, I just love it.

Thing with me in football is: I have to like what I'm seeing. Only exception is the team I support, FC Porto, ofcourse I watch the games no matter if I like the way we play or not (I don't actually). So in FM I try to do the same.

For my first season, I went with my beloved 4-4-2.
2 attacking fullbacks

2 central defenders

2 CMs, one acting as deep-lying playmaker and one defensive

2 wingers in support

2 forwards, with one advanced and the other as deep-lying

This was mainly a holdover from the old FMs wherein I had one CM farrowing and the other one barrowing.  Team performed pretty well overall before losing in the opening playoff round, but I wasn't satisfied with my defense.

I changed it up for my second season and am currently using a 4-1-3-2

Fullbacks, DM and Advanced Playmaker operate as support

2 central defenders

Two attacking wingers

Two advanced forwards

I'm getting out-possessed almost every game while giving up plenty of shots...but I'm currently undefeated with 8 wins and 3 draws with a +17 GD, which isn't too shabby for playing in MLS, where every team is supposed to be relatively equal.  Basically soaking up pressure and then hitting hard on the counter.

I play the formation where I am better at scouting players, so its a flat 4-4-2 where we get the wingers wide and whip balls into the box for the strikers and opposite winger to get on the end of.

I've always used a 4-2-3-1 formation, always loved it and have always used wingers, I love to play as wide as possible and really stretch the game. Used it way back when in the days of Championship Manager 2006 (the crap Eidos one which was my first of these games). When I came back to the genre with FM14, I used this formation again and have used it in every game since. Always done me proud. In FM18, I did tweak it a bit to 4-3-3 (I'll explain below) when I ran out of AMCs that I liked further into the save and have occasionally switched to this in FM19 and will probably do it in FM20 too.

My 4-2-3-1 either Control Possession (Attacking) or Gengenpress (Positive) depending on if I feel I can dominate the game or not.

AF(a)

IF(a)                AP(s)               W(s)

DLP(s)           BBM(s)

WB(s)    BPD(d)     BPD(d)   WB(s)

SK(s)

My 4-3-3 (same mentalities as above)

AF(a)

IF(a)                                       W(s)

BBM(s) AP(a) BBM(s)

WB(s)    BPD(d)     BPD(d)   WB(s)

SK(s)

In both formations, sometimes one of the BBMs is a BWM(d) depending one who I have available and who I'm playing against.

Usually I decide on a tactic during my first week (based on key players) and then re-train and shop and force the club to do my bidding...I meant 'and give the club a new philosophy'. 

For Berlin it turned into a suicidal 442 that is as likely to be invincible as it is to be a relegation-achiever:  SKd—CWBs, CD, CD, CWBs—WPa, CMd, DLPs, IWa—PFa, F9. Sometimes the midfield turns into IWa, DLPd, DLPs, IWa due to my team's structure. Instructions essentially an even more aggressive Gegenpress out of possession with distribution from the back to centre- and fullbacks in possession.

For Wolfsburg in my proper save I am doing an almost no-instruction 433: SKs—IWBs, BPDd, CDco, CWBs—DMd/HBd—MEZa/CMa, DLPd—APs, Wa—TMa. In the next seasons I plan to swap Wa and TMa to an IFa and F9. Only fixed instructions are Overlap left and usually shorter distributions from the goalkeeper. With the Wa I also sometimes underlap. 

Lautern was an evolving 4123: Two Cd, one DM, one RPM and one PFa were fixed with the wings being a pair of one WBs and (I)Wa and a pair of CWBs and (I)Ws. The second striker started as TMs but also was TMa, Pa, PFa, PFs or whatever else good I had at hand. 

Right now I'm mostly playing around with my cheat-file for some silly stuff. I guess my next move will be a 532 (Or 541) with Hoffenheim, depending on how long Berlin and Lautern keep my interest. 

I live 4-4-2 start very simple, very disciplined and stuctered.

I always hunt rapid forwards and wingers to play a counter attacking game.

3 hours ago, 99 said:

I try to play the way that I like to watch football. I like teams that have the ball, attack in a supported, consistent way and dominate the game (ex. Guardiola). I also like teams that, as soon as they loose the ball, start freneticaly working to get it back (ex. Klopp). I don't like pragmatic football (ex. Mourinho, even tho he is a legend to my club and to myself).  I don't like long, direct football were the defenders just shoot a long ball to the forwards and the midfield is only there to recover the second ball. I don't like teams that park the bus, even tho I understand why they do it. I can watch a Man City or Liverpool game anytime, but you plug me Simeone's Atletico and I get bored to the point I either change channel or fall asleep.

So the tactic for FM that I found out to give me the football I love, is heavily inspired on @RashidiLiquid 4123 (4141 ingame). He made it for FM19 but the one I made based on it also use in FM20 all the same. Changes I made, basically get more width in it, more shooting from distance to the midfielders, change the DM from support to defend and have both IWB in support (he made one support and one defend). Then during the games I might change/adapt things depending on the result and what I need. But when I see those sweet, short passing and the team building up creating chances after chances with many players involved on it, completely dominating the opponent, I just love it.

Thing with me in football is: I have to like what I'm seeing. Only exception is the team I support, FC Porto, ofcourse I watch the games no matter if I like the way we play or not (I don't actually). So in FM I try to do the same.

Was there a thread on liquid 4123? I have seen it mentioned a couple of times now and I'm curious as to how it works. 

As for my tactic, it's usually a 4123 dm wide (I think that's what it's classed as) and had been that or a variant of for many games now. I think, at its most attacking, it lines up as a 2323. I honestly can't remember how I came about the tactic as it was so long ago now. 

For many versions I have been more successful with a tight formation with a DM and only 1 striker- I have however always got more fun out of playing with 2 strikers and perhaps not being so tight defensively.  This year I have tried both with about equal success.

6 horas atrás, EnigMattic1 disse:

Was there a thread on liquid 4123? I have seen it mentioned a couple of times now and I'm curious as to how it works. 

I don't know if there's a thread, but there's a video:

My tactic ultimately depends on the players I have at a club.

I'll always try to work towards my favoured 4-1-2-2-1 DM and IF formation though. Advanced wingers or IF is what I have had most success with in FM.

I do like a good old fashioned 4-4-2 though, but haven't had a lot of success with it in FM in later years. I find a lot of wingers are becoming more advanced and don't really fit in a 4-4-2 anymore. I find myself using an assymetric 4-4-2 a lot - one winger more advanced and one supportive.

Full backs set to WB is almost an always on for me. I like my FBs to get forward and support the attack. The DM is a must for this though, I feel.

I always try to implement my own personal footballing philosophy of being:

- attacking

- not particularly caring about possession for possessions sake

- counter attacking/taking advantage of transitions

- limiting the amount of players I myself have in transition

I prefer 2 up front but have become more flexible with that this year, its not unusual for me to sacrifice a defender and play 3 at the back in some form of 3-5-2 to achieve all of the above. 

I usually use three formations:

4-1-2-1-2

4-1-2-3 (with option to have an AM instead of DM in order to get a 4-2-3-1)

4-1-2-2-1

In this way with minimal changes I have 4 formations available. This year I want to implement also a tactic with 3 defenders, in order to have even more flexibility. Would be really cool to have a libero in the center of the defensive line.

About principles: high pressing, density in the midfield and build up a net of passes but in order to get fast vertical development. It's a mix of gegenpressing and tiki-taka.

Been away for a while but there are some great responses here. Very VERY interesting to read about people's stories on their experience with FM.

Keep it coming !