Problems with pressing - What's going wrong?

So I'm playing a very similar style to most people I see posting on here. That is, I try to win the ball back quickly using counter-pressing and play aggressively with high possession. For the most part I'm keeping a decent amount of possession but I've got two issues.

The first and most serious problem is that we concede a lot of goals from long balls over the top of my defence. I've tried lowering my line, being less aggressive and having a cover/stopper duo at the back but the issues seem to just continue. We have conceded between 1/3 and 1/2 of our goals like this.

Secondly, we have had major issues scoring from set pieces, we've hardly scored any this season. I've got a few players who are capable and we've been playing a ball to the back post in the hope that it will be headed back into danger, but it just isn't working well.

Here is my tactic. In addition to the instructions shown I have every player except the two CBs on close down more. The idea here is that we'll press but those players won't be out of position and get hit by long balls (doesn't seem to be working). I'm sure there are some obvious errors I'm making here but I need another person to point me in the right direction. Also any tips on attacking set pieces would be much appreciated.

NB. It's worth pointing out that I'm playing as a traditionally lower league side (Rochdale) and so I'm wanting to punch above our weight by challenging in the Championship. But, we finished in 6th last year and look on course to easily achieve our goal of avoiding a relegation battle this season so I'm now looking to push on which is why I need help.

FM (1).jpg

Hello Dalehero!

Let's take a look at what you want to achieve: a brand of high pressure possession football, executed through PIs by everyone except your centre-backs.

I'm your opponent. As your opponent I have to spam long balls to relieve the pressure, because there's no other option for me. Thanks to your high defensive line I might find my forwards by chance from time to time. That's when I get my scoring chances.

So how can we stop me from abusing the space behind your defensive line? Of course, it may seem logical to lower your defensive line, but that doesn't really stop me from spamming long balls, because I would still face the same obstacles as before—the high pressure. So what could we do instead of applying pressure everywhere?

There might be various solutions, but here is one of them: only applying pressure on the wings.

Why? Once I face pressure, I have to play passes to my players in the middle of the pitch. Once I'm losing the ball in this area, you could hit me really hard because you need less time for a transition as your main focus is to play through the middle.

It doesn't fully solve your problem, but it gives your opponent new options. This way you'll face less long balls and trap your opponent sometimes.

You could use OIs instead of PIs to determine which positions need to be closed down, too.

Edited by FMSD0

2 hours ago, Dalehero said:

FM (1).jpg

2 hours ago, Dalehero said:

In addition to the instructions shown I have every player except the two CBs on close down more

This could well be the key reason. You are wrong if you think that the CBs can do much when they are the only players in your team who keep their position(s). Even the split block does not have so many players involved in high pressing via PIs (just 3-5 most advanced ones). Another question is if your team is good enough to successfully execute the style of play you are looking to achieve?

Btw, hard tackling (i.e. get stuck in) is another (potentially) risky instruction when you play with a high d-line. And counter-press is always a double-edged sword, as it requires a special type of players to be properly implemented.

1 hour ago, gonefading said:

Hello Dalehero!

Let's take a look at what you want to achieve: a brand of high pressure possession football, executed through PIs by everyone except your centre-backs.

I'm your opponent. As your opponent I have to spam long balls to relieve the pressure, because there's no other option for me. Thanks to your high defensive line I might find my forwards by chance from time to time. That's when I get my scoring chances.

So how can we stop me from abusing the space behind your defensive line? Of course, it's seems logical to lower your defensive line, but that doesn't really stop me from spamming long balls, because I would still face the same obstacles as before—the high pressure. So what could we do instead of applying pressure everywhere?

There might be various solutions, but here is one of them: only applying pressure on the wings.

Why? Once I face pressure, I have to play passes to my players in the middle of the pitch. Once I'm losing the ball in this area, you could hit me really hard because you need less time for a transition as your main focus is to play through the middle.

It doesn't fully solve your problem, but it gives your opponent new options. This way you'll face less long balls and trap your opponent sometimes.

You could use OIs instead of PIs to determine which positions need to be closed down, too.

This seems like a good idea, I'm going to try using OIs to target the FBs and wingers to force them into the centre.

16 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

This could well be the key reason. You are wrong if you think that the CBs can do much when they are the only players in your team who keep their position(s). Even the split block does not have so many players involved in high pressing via PIs (just 3-5 most advanced ones). Another question is if your team is good enough to successfully execute the style of play you are looking to achieve?

Btw, hard tackling (i.e. get stuck in) is another (potentially) risky instruction when you play with a high d-line. And counter-press is always a double-edged sword, as it requires a special type of players to be properly implemented.

My team's pretty good for Determination, Work Rate, Aggression. What are the attributes I should be looking for?

Also, do you think id be more successful if I have everyone even the CBs on the same page. And, an you point me towards an explanation for a split block? So I

9 minutes ago, Dalehero said:

My team's pretty good for Determination, Work Rate, Aggression. What are the attributes I should be looking for?

In addition to those you already mentioned, also important for the counter-press (or any high-pressing style) are: stamina, acceleration, anticipation, positioning, decisions, teamwork, bravery (to name just the most obvious ones). 

do you think id be more successful if I have everyone even the CBs on the same page

In what sense "on the same page"? 

an you point me towards an explanation for a split block?

The split block is when you leave the team pressing urgency on default (as you already did), but tell 3-5 most advanced players to close down more via their PIs. In your system, I would have (no more than) 4 players involved in the split block - the striker, both wide forwards (and possibly/occasionally the BBM). What you are doing (with all except the CBs told to press more) is actually an extreme - and hence very risky - version of split block.

Btw, if you use a split block, you usually don't need the Prevent short GKD.

10 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

In addition to those you already mentioned, also important for the counter-press (or any high-pressing style) are: stamina, acceleration, anticipation, positioning, decisions, teamwork, bravery (to name just the most obvious ones). 

In what sense "on the same page"? 

The split block is when you leave the team pressing urgency on default (as you already did), but tell 3-5 most advanced players to close down more via their PIs. In your system, I would have (no more than) 4 players involved in the split block - the striker, both wide forwards (and possibly/occasionally the BBM). What you are doing (with all except the CBs told to press more) is actually an extreme - and hence very risky - version of split block.

Btw, if you use a split block, you usually don't need the Prevent short GKD.

That's all really helpful, I'll experiment with it. I think youve answered my CB questions there as well because I was considering having them on close down more as well but it seems more conservative to just push with my front 4/5. Especially since I'm already playing on positive so they're more aggressive as it is I think.