Can Two Roaming Roles Be Used TOGETHER In Central Midfield?

Hello everyone

Just wondered peoples thoughts on this.

Assuming you had someone playing in the defensive midfield position who had a holding job, an anchor man or defensive midfielder for example, could you partner 2 romaing roles together, or is this asking for trouble?

Ive tentatively started seeing good results at Arsenal, with a central midfield pairing of a box to box mid (s) on the left side, with a mezzala (a) on the right side.

I figured with the formation itself being very narrow and the mentality cautious, that the solidarity of the shape would come from those instructions.

I toyed with the idea of playing a carrilero but didnt like the stay wide aspect, so made my box to box midfielder (Torreira) close down more and tackle harder, with the intention he would act like a ball winner in defence but have a little more contribution going forward.

The mezzala role is Bruno Fernandes, and he defends higher up the field as part of the high press.

Any thoughts on using two roaming roles together? reason i ask is because i think its one of those generally accepted "not to do" things

Thank you

IMO that really depends on the opposition. If they're defending their box, then having 1 holding mid and 2 roaming should be fine. You don't need 2 holding mid against a low block team.

In contrast, if you're playing against a narrow diamond opposition, then it might be a bad idea. You should be adapting to each match because there's no one-style-fit-all tactic.

Can Two Roaming Roles Be Used TOGETHER In Central Midfield?

Rashidi's Liquid 4123 tactic obviously shows that they can be used together. Provided you have good enough players for such a setup and that the rest of the setup/tactic is properly designed. 

I use two MEZ(S) in a 4-1-4-1 flat, and it worked well in a team shape that usually ranges from Fluid to Very Fluid. The base of a good 4-1-4-1 is the DM role; not too happy with the overall behaviour of DM roles in FM, but assuming you have a quality player holding the fort, you can be a bit more creative with the other twos members of your midfield trio. The in-game info for some roles isn't that useful; telling you that MEZ do their defending higher doesn't tell you much in the grand scheme of things. The old Pairs and Combinations guide, however outdated it is, gives you good guidelines to avoid shooting yourself in the foot; but those are basics, not hard rules.

Edited by BMNJohn

Like most things it depends on the players used in those positions and the tactic as a whole.

No idea where you've got that "rule" from, especially when its a formation with 3 midfielders and one is a DM.  If it was two CM and a AM then yeah, that would be a bit suicidal.

My favourite midfield trio in recent years is a pair of segundo volantes playing behind a ball-winning midfielder on defend duty, it's difficult to come up with a more roaming midfield than that, yet with the right players it works a treat and is a pleasure to watch.

The big thing with more adventurous midfields is that they demand well-rounded players who are willing to put a hard shift in, there isn't any room for players who become passengers in the defensive phase like there can be in a more cautious set-up.