West Ham United: Bye Bye Pellegrini.

Okay so hello everyone!

I'm an average football manager player. I'm a big West Ham fan! 

Looking at our side and there's a lot of question marks. For example; you need two upfront to get the most out of Sebastian Haller. You have the attacking midfield options of Jack Wilshere, Pablo Fornals, Manuel Lanzini, Felipe Anderson, Andriy Yarmolenko and Michail Antonio (plenty!).

So I guess my question is, how would you all set up West Ham United? 

I'm looking at Tiki-taka style.

GK SK (A) Fabianski

RB WB (S) Fredericks 

CB BPD (D) Cardoso (Want to inject some more youth)

CB CD (D) Diop

LB WB (S) Masuaku (but torn with Cresswell)

CDM DLP (S) Rice

CM AP (A) Lanzini

CM RPM (S) Fornals

RW W (S) Antonio

LW IF (S) Anderson

ST DLP (S) Haller

I already see a couple of thinks I could change. Maybe Rice on a defend duty. Anderson on attack.

What would you guys do? 

Thank you in advance.

Even if you want a possession tiki-taka style you don't want 3 playmakers in midfield and all 3 forwards on support.  Whilst you want players to make themselves available for a pass to feet in a possession style, you still want some variety and that setup is too similar.

I'd have Rice play a simpler role and train to be more a defensive player in the Busquets role, can pass but not the "playmaker" of the team.

One of the CM I would want to be more of a runner to get up and help the ST.

You mentioned thinking haller needs to be in a two man attack but then haven't done it yourself?  I'm on mobile so cant check the squad on FM.  If not a 2nd striker what about a 4231 DM Wide with a AMC close to Haller?

5 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

Even if you want a possession tiki-taka style you don't want 3 playmakers in midfield and all 3 forwards on support.  Whilst you want players to make themselves available for a pass to feet in a possession style, you still want some variety and that setup is too similar.

I'd have Rice play a simpler role and train to be more a defensive player in the Busquets role, can pass but not the "playmaker" of the team.

One of the CM I would want to be more of a runner to get up and help the ST.

You mentioned thinking haller needs to be in a two man attack but then haven't done it yourself?  I'm on mobile so cant check the squad on FM.  If not a 2nd striker what about a 4231 DM Wide with a AMC close to Haller?

I've changed two roles after posting this. The LCM is now a BBM-S Sander Berge has been brought in for that role. Felipe Anderson is a IW-A. The reason I haven't gone with two up top is because we simply dont have anyone else to go there. The budget was small so after Berge there isn't room for anyone else.

I've changed Rice to a DM-D. I'm going to work with training his Playmaker attributes in the preseason. 

The idea of Lanzini being a AP-A and Anderson being IW-A and even Berge on BBM is to get players in and around Haller

On 28/12/2019 at 22:29, RegistaNoble said:

What would you guys do? 

I can tell you what I certainly would not do: I would definitely never play 3 playmakers in adjacent positions. Apropos: 

On 28/12/2019 at 22:29, RegistaNoble said:

CDM DLP (S) Rice

CM AP (A) Lanzini

CM RPM (S) Fornals

32 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

I can tell you what I certainly would not do: I would definitely never play 3 playmakers in adjacent positions. Apropos: 

Why not? Because they would end up just passing it between the 3 of them?

41 minutes ago, w_x said:

Why not? Because they would end up just passing it between the 3 of them?

Not only that. If the whole midfield is playmaking, who is then supposed to act as a deep runner to support the attack in a more direct manner? Who should be primarily responsible for protecting the defense as the real holding midfielder? Have you ever seen any real-life team playing with all 3 midfielders as playmakers? You'll rarely see even 2 PMs in so close vicinity in real life, let alone as many as 3.

51 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Not only that. If the whole midfield is playmaking, who is then supposed to act as a deep runner to support the attack in a more direct manner? Who should be primarily responsible for protecting the defense as the real holding midfielder? Have you ever seen any real-life team playing with all 3 midfielders as playmakers? You'll rarely see even 2 PMs in so close vicinity in real life, let alone as many as 3.

Roaming playmaker to support the attack, a DLP(d) as a holder?

Pep's Barcelona, Spain 08-onwards?

8 hours ago, w_x said:

Busquet wasn’t really the playmaker in that squad but I see your point. With xavi and ineista in there too it does seem like 3 playmakers but I think in reality only Ineista was the playmaker. Just because everyone in that Barcelona team could be a playmaker doesn’t mean that was actually their role.

A team only needs one playmaker. Try experimenting with other roles OP. This year, more than others, and in reality, a team needs balance.

16 hours ago, w_x said:

Pep did not use 3 playmakers at Barca. Only Xavi was designated as a PM. Iniesta was essentially a mezzala. People are wrong when they think that a player "must" play a PM role just because he has good playmaking abilities. 

I've just started a save with West Ham. 

I'm thinking of an adaptive version of the 3-5-2, which basically plays as a 5-2-1-2. 

Fabianski (G-S)

Ogbonna (BPD-D)     Rice (Libero- S)         Balbuena/Diop (CD)

Fredericks (WBs)                                                                               Cresswell (WBs)

Noble (BWM)               Fornals (B2B)

Anderson (SS)

Ajeti (PF=S)           Haller (TM-A)

Haven't tried any games with it yet and there's certainly areas that I'm unsure of but I've always struggled with 1 up top so thought I'd try something new.

I'm hoping having Rice at the back on Libero will give me an extra body at the back when defending but an extra man in the middle when on the ball, he's also pretty good when on the ball so when he does step into midfield, he has the ability to open up a defence. 

Another reason for Rice being at the back was to allow to me to play both Fornals and Anderson. I'd rather Fornals be further up the pitch but Anderson can only play there or on the wing which would mean I have to drop 1 of them which I didn't want to do so. I'm hoping that he can push up and find some spaces created by any movement from the front 3 but also get back to be a body when defending, he does lack work rate though so he could be an issue but we'll see how it pans out.

I've got Nobes on a BWM role at the moment but I may change this to a CM (D) so he just sits in the middle while Fornals bombs on, I've never used the Libero so interested to see if Rice will stick around in the middle while Fornals gets back or whether he'll just drop to his position, if he sticks around I might keep Noble on the BWM.

The plan of the front 3 is simple. Haller as the target man to win headers, for Anderson (who should push up ahead of him) and AjetI. If he doesn't win the header, then Ajeti as a Pressing Forward and PI's to Anderson and Haller to press more should see them press the opposition.

Haven't got any TI's yet, want to play a few games with it and see how it goes then go from there. No doubt I'll get 5 games in to the season, get pumped in each game and give up :D