Sports Interactive Community
Tigro

How does adding additional tactics work?

I'm a newbie in the FM world so sorry in advance for a beginner question but this one is really hard for me to wrap my head around and I couldn't google the answer. So in the tactics panel, we have the option to add other tactics different from our main one and the assistant also told me that I can train a secondary formation with my team other than the main one. Whenever I try to add a new tactic, though, and I set it up, when I go back to my main one, all the players and their positions are mixed up. If I fix them in the main formation - they get mixed up in the secondary one. How am I supposed to set it up then?

I wanted to create a couple of tactics for different possible situations in a game/the stake of it which I could quickly juggle through depending on the game or just train in general in order to change to a different one for my main in the future but this makes it impossible for me. And don't get me started on trying to add another tactic with different players, too - then even this gets mixed up in the main one and these players appear in a tactic they weren't meant to even be in :(

How do I manage this, then? I guess I'm missing something really trivial cause it'd be unfothamble for a game of this complexity, which basically allows you to micro-manage to the point of choosing at what times the greenkeeper is allowed to go to the loo, not to have such options. Thanks a lot in advance!

You can save a team selection/lineup. Save a lineup for each tactic. Then simply just load the relevant lineup when you select a different tactic. 

You mean using the Quick Picks? Cause that's the only way I've been able to do it :/ I mean - I add a new tactic, set everything up along with the lineup and then save both the tactic in the tactic dropdown and the squad as my Quick Pick. Then, when I want to retrieve it, I load the tactic (which creates a total trainwreck as far as players and their position are concerned) and then I load the quick pick for that tactic, which puts the right players in the right spots. But is that really the only option...? It's so tedious that I'm sure I'm doing something wrong :/

The only way I can think of to achieve this, besides Quick Picks, is to create your second tactic from the template of the first. This is good if your formation sort of compensates for the capability of the same players playing in different positions in the different tactics.

The reason the players get moved about is because the positions in each tactic don't follow the same order. So, for example, if you have a tactic with 3 midfielders, all playing in the centre of the pitch, and you decide to create a second with two and one in the DM position, you don't know which of the 3 midfielders will drop back. This is why I feel creating your next tactic from the template of the first one is advantageous because it allows you to change them quickly.

I have a tactic that has 3 players in the AM positions (AMR, AMC & AML), so when I created my second one that has two in the AMC positions and two strikers I just loaded my first tactic on the second slot and dragged the players around as my AMR can play as a striker and my AML can play as an AMC. Then I go on about changing any other team/player instructions etc.