Sports Interactive Community
Footix

Suggested setup for Newcastle?

How would you guys set Newcastle up this year? I don't wanna go all Bruceball with 5 at the back and give up possession at every possible opportunity, but I can't get anything else to work either...

Tried the 4-1-2-2-1 or how you would define it - Dubravka between the sticks, Willems as WB(S), two DC (D), Yedlin bombing forward at right back (FB (A) dat pace!), Shelvey pinging passes as a DLP(S) in the DM slot, Joelinton working his socks off as a PF(A), Maximin cutting in from the left as IF(A) ... struggling with the central mids and overall team instructions. Trying to play on 'positive' with 'play out from defence', regroup and counter, not added much else tbf. Trying to keep it simple here.

We're getting hammered by everyone!

Help?

I would remove  play out from defence and positive mentality for standard or counter against big teams, perhaps changing joelinton to pf/s and low loe/low defensive line so you can utilize maximins and almirons pace on the break. 

I manage Newcastle in FM19 and I use the same 4123 wide formation, but with a different setup from yours. Of course, the squad is not same, but is not too different either. My tactic is pretty simple, and I can share it with you if you are interested? 

I would go 4-1-4-1. My idea is to make two versions, one vs. top teams and away from home and one where NUFC is favorite.

NUFC favorite

------------------Dubravka SK(s)-------------

-Kraft WB(S)--Schar BPD(D)--Lascelles CD(D)-- Dummett FB(S)-

----------------- Hayden DM(D)---------------

-Almiron WM(s)--Longstaff Mez(A)--Shelvey DLP(S)--Saint-Maximin IW(S/A)-

------------------- Joelinton TM(s)----------------------------

Player Instructions: Joel(tackle harder), Almiron(Stay narrow, cut inside, tackle harder) , in some games i would tell Kraft to and Dummett to (dribble less). I think Yedlin could be decent vs some weaker teams with Almiron acting like a defensive wide playmaker, helping him in defence but also passing him(Yedlin) the ball into space.

Mentality:Positive and Attacking.

Teams instructions :Play out of defence, Pass into space, Work into Box (sometimes), Counter, Counter-Press, Distribute to CB.

NUFC Underdog

Same roles and duties.

Mentality: Balanced and Positive

Teams Instructions: Counter, Regroup ( Most of the times),  Pass into space (if you see that opposition leaves a lot of space behind), Work into Box (sometimes), Hit Early Crosses(sometimes, can be quite deadly  if opposition leaves a lot of space or if they play with wing back formations). Shouts like Play of defence, Counter-Press are very risky vs. good teams because your defenders and midfielders don't have great composure, decisions, first touch.

Jetro Williems is very interesting player. Fantastic attacking set of attributes but quite poor defensively. He can be valuable and If you want to use him i would suggest moving Almiron or even Ritchie to the Left side tell them to play WM(s) with cut inside, play more risky passes so they play like a Wide playmaker but with more defensive responsibility.Saint-Maximin would play on the right side as a winger or inverted winger and In that case  i would also play a more defensive role for RB.Reason for moving Almiron to the left is that he has some work rate and positioning, even tho he isn't elite defender he would still help Jetro, Ritchie could be even better for that job.

I think your idea is decent, but it's very risky to play Williems  on the left since he's very poor defender with a attacking mentality (WB is a very adventurous role)  with no help at all. Maximin has awful work rate, positoning  and in your tactic he has very attacking duty, so he will never help/can't help Williems and  I can tell already that you are going to concede quite a few goals from your left side.Yedlin is also very bad defender with attacking role. I feel this kinda tactic would work only if you have a top team and Newcastle with this roster isn't.

Edited by dubaRA7

12 hours ago, emil_sbn said:

I would remove  play out from defence and positive mentality for standard or counter against big teams, perhaps changing joelinton to pf/s and low loe/low defensive line so you can utilize maximins and almirons pace on the break. 

I forgot to mention, I have lowered both loe and defensive line. 

12 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I manage Newcastle in FM19 and I use the same 4123 wide formation, but with a different setup from yours. Of course, the squad is not same, but is not too different either. My tactic is pretty simple, and I can share it with you if you are interested? 

Would love to see it, thanks! I'm on FMT, not sure if it makes any difference in sense of file types. 

2 hours ago, dubaRA7 said:

I would go 4-1-4-1. My idea is to make two versions, one vs. top teams and away from home and one where NUFC is favorite.

NUFC favorite

------------------Dubravka SK(s)-------------

-Kraft WB(S)--Schar BPD(D)--Lascelles CD(D)-- Dummett FB(S)-

----------------- Hayden DM(D)---------------

-Almiron WM(s)--Longstaff Mez(A)--Shelvey DLP(S)--Saint-Maximin IW(S/A)-

------------------- Joelinton TM(s)----------------------------

Player Instructions: Joel(tackle harder), Almiron(Stay narrow, cut inside, tackle harder) , in some games i would tell Kraft to and Dummett to (dribble less). I think Yedlin could be decent vs some weaker teams with Almiron acting like a defensive wide playmaker, helping him in defence but also passing him(Yedlin) the ball into space.

Mentality:Positive and Attacking.

Teams instructions :Play out of defence, Pass into space, Work into Box (sometimes), Counter, Counter-Press, Distribute to CB.

NUFC Underdog

Same roles and duties.

Mentality: Balanced and Positive

Teams Instructions: Counter, Regroup ( Most of the times),  Pass into space (if you see that opposition leaves a lot of space behind), Work into Box (sometimes), Hit Early Crosses(sometimes, can be quite deadly  if opposition leaves a lot of space or if they play with wing back formations). Shouts like Play of defence, Counter-Press are very risky vs. good teams because your defenders and midfielders don't have great composure, decisions, first touch.

Jetro Williems is very interesting player. Fantastic attacking set of attributes but quite poor defensively. He can be valuable and If you want to use him i would suggest moving Almiron or even Ritchie to the Left side tell them to play WM(s) with cut inside, play more risky passes so they play like a Wide playmaker but with more defensive responsibility.Saint-Maximin would play on the right side as a winger or inverted winger and In that case  i would also play a more defensive role for RB.Reason for moving Almiron to the left is that he has some work rate and positioning, even tho he isn't elite defender he would still help Jetro, Ritchie could be even better for that job.

I think your idea is decent, but it's very risky to play Williems  on the left since he's very poor defender with a attacking mentality (WB is a very adventurous role)  with no help at all. Maximin has awful work rate, positoning  and in your tactic he has very attacking duty, so he will never help/can't help Williems and  I can tell already that you are going to concede quite a few goals from your left side.Yedlin is also very bad defender with attacking role. I feel this kinda tactic would work only if you have a top team and Newcastle with this roster isn't.

Lots of ideas here, thanks for sharing!

How would you guys use the central mids? I've been trying a CM (D) to the right (cover for Yedlin when he flies off attacking), mostly Hayden, and.. No idea really for the left one. It's been a CM (S) just because I can't think of anything better. Usually S. Longstaff. 

Tricky thing is that you are playing Shelvey on support duty and that can leave your defence exposed if you lose the ball. Shelvey doesn't have work rate ,acceleration and pace to come back and help. On the right flank you have Hayden but he's on defensive duty and won't really help much Yedlin in attack phase. There's two solutions imo. 

First one is to switch Shelvey do DLP(D) and Hayden to Carillero.You can still tell Shelvey to play more direct and expansive, but he will sit in the hole, won't venture too far away from his position and will provide a bit more stability to back 4. Hayden can play as a carillero, he will stay a bit wide compared to usual midfielder and will provide cover and support for Yedlin.ON the left you can give Longstaff a bit more adventuros role like Mez(S) or even Mez (A). He will press high, attack the box, but also be a passing option for Maximin and Jetro.

Second one: Play Hayden in defensive mid slot as a Def Mid (D) or even Anchor Man. Shelvey on the left as DLP (S) and Longstaff as Mez(S) or cm(A) on the right side. This option is imo the better one because you have a proper defensive midfielder protecting the back 4, Shelvey will be more attacking and play more expansive game which suits him better  and Longstaff will still try to attack the box , provide support and press high.

No matter what roles you pick, expect that you will concede quite a few goals from your left side because you are playing Jetro+Maximin. But also you can expect some assists from Jetro too if you insist on playing attacking football with abudget players :)

Edited by dubaRA7

Good luck. First season is always a struggle but Newcastle isn't poor and when you buy proper players it will all flow :)

5 hours ago, Footix said:

Would love to see it, thanks! I'm on FMT, not sure if it makes any difference in sense of file types

Here is my primary tactic for Newcastle (FM19):

TMsu

IFat                                Wsu

MEZsu    CAR

Ade

FBsu    CDde   CDde    FBat

SKde

Players and player instructions:

GK/SKde - Dubravka

DL/FBsu - Dummett (Barreca) - hold position, sit narrower

DR/FBat - Aissa Mandi (Manquillo, Yedlin) 

DCL/CDde - Fernandez (Clark, Mandi, Schar)

DCR/CDde - Lascelles (Fernandez, Mandi, Schar)

DM/Ade - Clark (Schar, Hayden, Diame)

MCL/MEZsu - Almiron (Shelvey, Diame)

MCR/CAR - Diame (Hayden)

AML/IFat - Muto (Kenedy) - sit narrower

AMR/Wsu - Ritchie (Yedlin, Kenedi)

STC/TMsu - Rondon - move into channels

Mentality - Balanced

The only regular instruction for this particular tactic is - shorter passing. When I am the clear favorite, I also use Play out of defence. And I (usually) add the Counter instruction when I play away against teams of similar quality and reputation.

There are a couple of slightly modified versions (only in terms of roles and duties) which I occasionally use (usually when some players are unavailable for selection).

I also have a counter-attacking version for tougher matches (strong opposition), so I can share that one as well if you want.

Now, the fact is that the squad has changed somewhat in the meantime, but I think the 4141dm wide is still a formation that suits Newcastle very well, with just a few tweaks in order to accommodate new players.

Edited by Experienced Defender

I'm also struggling with Newcastle this year. I really want to make it work with ASM and Almiron but struggle to get them to perform together. 

I've always been a fan of the 4123 and I definitely agree with @Experienced Defender that the squad is very suited to it. I just think you need to invest in a good DM or CM (aka another Hayden like player) to get something out of it. 

Would be interested to see how others have got on with Newcastle in FM20.

On 26/12/2019 at 20:56, Footix said:

How would you guys set Newcastle up this year? I don't wanna go all Bruceball with 5 at the back and give up possession at every possible opportunity, but I can't get anything else to work either...

Tried the 4-1-2-2-1 or how you would define it - Dubravka between the sticks, Willems as WB(S), two DC (D), Yedlin bombing forward at right back (FB (A) dat pace!), Shelvey pinging passes as a DLP(S) in the DM slot, Joelinton working his socks off as a PF(A), Maximin cutting in from the left as IF(A) ... struggling with the central mids and overall team instructions. Trying to play on 'positive' with 'play out from defence', regroup and counter, not added much else tbf. Trying to keep it simple here.

We're getting hammered by everyone!

Help?

Look at the tactic in this thread 

Most the posts are by me updating the OP on how im.doing with the tactic and building a team around it.

Was great fun and I had some success