Sports Interactive Community
b28937

My game is "stuck" before going to penalties

Anything I can do?  Game went extra-time.  Whistle blew, the scoreboard switched to penalties, the players' body language switched to penalties, but the game just says "pause" even though it's already paused.  Nothing is frozen.  I can look at stats, analysis, tactics, go to the home page, try to reload in preferences, but no matter what I do it just stays stuck before going to penalties.  Any help appreciated.  The game is running, I just have to decide whether to end the process or not.

Hello @b28937,

I'd suggest you try first to uninstall and reinstall your graphic drivers. Not sure it might fix it though.

We'd need more feedback please, do you use custom graphics (eg skin?). Could you provide a dxdiag to the technical team?

Many thanks

it's the default SI dark skin,  Definitely the latest drivers.  Oh well, we should have been blown out by Real Madrid in that game anyway so no reason for tears.  This exact same thing happened to me a few years ago in FM17.  I remember it distinctly because it was a cup game, one of the biggest games I've ever played..  It went to penalties and....stuck, won't advance,  Same as here.  And that was on the Mac version on a MacBook pro.  I figured it was just some glitch that you sometimes get in the Mac version.  So I just force closed the program and re-simmed the game in instant mode and to my surprise my team won so I just forgot about it.  Probably some bug that's super rare because it only shows up in penalties.

FWIW her is my dxdiag

dxdiag _b28937.txt

btw this is a screenshot of it. Game is NOT frozen, every menu etc even going outside the match and looking at scouting or whatever worked fine.  The only problem was that half of the game (scoreboard, body language, some of the menus etc) switched to penalty mode but the graphics engine or match engine or whatever just got stuck and would not switch over to penalty mode.  The game was unpaused and progressing exactly as usual and right after the end of time whistle blew the screen sort of flickered and I noticed the scoreboard and maybe some other things on the screen changed but the players on the field and the crowd just froze and from that point on there was nothing to do but crash the game.

Girona v Real Madrid_ Field.png

For the crash, this is because the graphics driver was removed during the re installation of the graphics driver hence the crash.

Do you still have the save game just before this match? If so can you upload the save to SI Cloud Service and let us know the name of the save, please?

I've recently had the same issue playing on Macbook Pro Early 2015.

Reached the Cup Quarter Final managing Milan in 2023, only for the game against Fiorentina to get stuck when it reached Penalties. Another strange thing that happened in this game was that I made a triple substitution after the whistle at 90 mins, but the changes did not get made during Extra Time. I couldn't get to the Tactics screen or make the Subs again. 

I reloaded and played the game again, this time made subs during the 90 mins which worked okay. The match went to Penalties again but this time the ME did not freeze. Maybe it has something to do with making substitutions during Extra Time?

When you say you have "made a triple substitution after the whistle at 90 mins", are you referring to the screen in between 90 mins and the start of extra time?

Do you still have this save before this match against Fiorentina? If so can you upload it to SI Cloud Service and let us know the name of the save so we can take a look for you, please?

Let us know how you get on, please? Thanks.

Yes, the screen in between 90 mins and Start of Extra Time is when I made the triple substitution.

Sorry, just saw this so don't have that Save anymore, but will definitely post back if I can recreate the issue.

On 03/01/2020 at 17:21, divij13 said:

Yes, the screen in between 90 mins and Start of Extra Time is when I made the triple substitution.

Sorry, just saw this so don't have that Save anymore, but will definitely post back if I can recreate the issue.

No problem, keep us updated, but hopefully it doesn't bother you again :)

Just had this same issue, tried subbing a 4th player during extra time in the UEFA League which bugged out my game and prevented me from making further tactical changes. Upon reaching penalties, the game is frozen in time and no button will advance time. The entire game can still be navigated, however.

Extra frustrating considering I was a huge underdog going into this game and now have to restart the game.

If it persists consistently can you create your own thread, please. We'll try find a suitable fix for you.

I was the OP.  I ended up using task manager to terminate the game.  Believe it or not, there definitely is some kind of bug that people keep reporting here (and it's a heartbreaking bug).  In the screenshot I posted above, I was a second division team playing Real Madrid in the final of of the Spanish cup and against all odds miraculously made it to penalties....then the match engine stuck right before switching to penalties and there's nothing you can do but terminate the program.

The exact same bug is being reported multiple times in this thread.  Although It never occured to me to mention it in the OP, I had subbed in a striker who specialized in penalty kicks at the beginning of extra time and when it came to penalties the game stuck and wouldn't advance.  divij13 reports that he made a triple substitution at the beginning of extra time and when it came to penalties the game stuck and wouldn't advance.  Powerchicken (great name) reports that he subbed in a player during extra time and when it came to penalties the game stuck and wouldn't advance. 

Look at the screenshot I posted above.  Extra time has expired, the "score" is Penalties 0-0, the opposing team's body language widget is up showing calm and anxious players before penalties, the other team's players have all left the field, my guys are frozen statues on the field.  If you look at the screenshot, it should be obvious there is no possible way the game should ever be in that state (ie, clearly in penalty mode but one is alone on the field attempting a throw-in).

I did a lot of research on this problem back when it would happen in FM17.  I might have even uploaded a save to SI but can't be sure it was so long ago.  The one thing that seemed consistent then and now was a substitution at some point during extra time.  I have no idea if this has anything to do with it, however.    

When this bug happens the game feels like it's simply paused, though in the screenshot you can see it is not paused (the pause button doesn't work when the bug hits; you can click it all day but it's like a grayed out menu item, nothing will happen).  Everything else works exactly as it does when you pause a match.  You can look at any in-match widgets, exit the match and look at rosters or examine scouting reports, etc., etc.,  Other than the inability to advance to penalties, there was not a part of the game I could find that did not function as it normally would when a match is paused.  In desperation, I even went into preferences and did things like switch skins, change text zoom, tested audio, everything hoping to somehow get the game to advance, but no luck.  The skin change and text adjustment worked fine, but no matter what you do it's impossible to advance. 

I'm probably violating some bug forum reporting format rule, but I'm just trying to give as much specific detail about what happens so people will believe there's a problem.  If it does have something to do with substitutions in extra time, naturally it would be very rare because it's not often you are (a) playing a match where a penalty shootout is even an option, (b) still have an extra sub left as you go into extra time (most people use all subs trying to win in regular time), and (c) the game is still tied after extra time.  This situation doesn't happen very often.

Anyway, I hope you guys fix the problem even though it might be rare.  My worry is the bug is rare enough that it's not worth the time to fix.

Thank you for your detailed explanation of your observation for this bug. 

Do you by any chance still have the save game before this freeze issue happened (i.e. the match against Madrid as shown in your screenshot), and if so can you upload this save to SI Cloud Service and let us know the name of the save, please?

Thanks. 

On 12/02/2020 at 07:20, Jimmy Wong said:

Thank you for your detailed explanation of your observation for this bug. 

Do you by any chance still have the save game before this freeze issue happened (i.e. the match against Madrid as shown in your screenshot), and if so can you upload this save to SI Cloud Service and let us know the name of the save, please?

Thanks. 

No, I seems like something I would have done but I don't remember doing so and can't find it anywhere.  However, I do have some oddly named saved games here and there so I'll check those and upload if I find it.  Thanks.

Thanks -  do let us know if you have found any save that can reproduce this issue, please.