Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
davehanson

Help with my Tactic - all info inside

Recommended Posts

Morning all,

Looking for some advice regarding the below tactic:

https://prnt.sc/qemlg2

The only Individual PI is on the B2B which is get further forward.

 

I am doing okay with the tactic. I used it for Ajax during the first season, produced some good results. Won the Dutch league and got through to the quarter finals of the CL. Got offered the Man City job which I couldn't turn down. I have struggled this year against the big teams away, lost to Arsenal 3-2. So would like to know what I can adjust for those games. Also really struggle against three at the back, like this:

https://prnt.sc/qempv3

I tried to play wider as my thoughts are that this Wolves formation is strong through the centre and weaker down the wings, so altered the Team instructions to: Attacking Width - Wide. I also changed the IW(A) to Winger (A). It did help a little I think, but still got beat to Wolves.

I did originally have the forward as a F9. This worked very well with Ajax, Tadic did an amazing job in that role, but wasn't working at City. Changed it to a CF(S) and Aguero (and Jesus) have been much better. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am curious as to why do you opt to use a defensive bottom-heavy formation with a top-team like City in the first place?

Also, why on earth do you use the Dribble less TI when you have so many great dribblers? Why would you want to prevent your players from doing something most of them are great at?

What's the point of the Prevent short GKD TI when you have only one player up front?

These are the first things for you to think about.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottom heavy as otherwise the midfield players in the opposition get far too much time on the ball to launch a long ball over the top. 

I use dribble less because otherwise my wide players (ML/MR & DL/DR) run blindly up the wing, stop before crossing and then lose the ball. Running less with it stops them from making blind runs.

The thought with prevent short GKD was that I don't want the opposition to have easy free passes. I want to be able to contest them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, davehanson said:

Bottom heavy as otherwise the midfield players in the opposition get far too much time on the ball to launch a long ball over the top

I fear it has more to do with a low (insufficient) level of vertical compactness coupled with poor defensive abilities of your entire midfield. 

 

13 minutes ago, davehanson said:

The thought with prevent short GKD was that I don't want the opposition to have easy free passes. I want to be able to contest them

But then you don't play with a bottom-heavy formation. If you want the Prevent short GKD to work properly and make more sense, go with a system that employs at least 3 players up front (e.g. 4123, 4231, 424). Although you obviously don't have the right players for the CM positions in a 4231 or 424.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

I fear it has more to do with a low (insufficient) level of vertical compactness coupled with poor defensive abilities of your entire midfield. 

 

But then you don't play with a bottom-heavy formation. If you want the Prevent short GKD to work properly and make more sense, go with a system that employs at least 3 players up front (e.g. 4123, 4231, 424). Although you obviously don't have the right players for the CM positions in a 4231 or 424.

What do you mean by low level of vertical compactness?

Fair comment re the Prevent short GKD. I do have a 4231 system and a funny/obscure 4-3-3 system that I use it in. Guess because I have 3 players forward in that system it would work better.

 

Back to the original point of away to the bigger sides - any ideas? Also any ideas specifically regarding the 3-5-2 formations? I really struggle against those. I beat Man Utd 3-2 away yet lose 2-0 to a Brighton side playing 3-5-2. I just can't work out how to counter it. I try playing wider as I feel I can exploit them on the wings and get in behind their wing-backs but just get beat pretty much everytime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, davehanson said:

What do you mean by low level of vertical compactness?

The distance between DL and LOE. The smaller it is - the better vertical compactness. And vice versa. There are 3 basic degrees of compactness: too high, too low and optimal. Btw, the level of compactness is also partly affected by the formation you use. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, davehanson said:

Back to the original point of away to the bigger sides - any ideas? Also any ideas specifically regarding the 3-5-2 formations? I really struggle against those. I beat Man Utd 3-2 away yet lose 2-0 to a Brighton side playing 3-5-2. I just can't work out how to counter it. I try playing wider as I feel I can exploit them on the wings and get in behind their wing-backs but just get beat pretty much everytime.

Thanks, any ideas on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...