Sports Interactive Community
beverage1982

Building a 4123 around a pair of "Free 8s"

Hey all,

So there's quite the tactical trend around "Free 8's" at the moment. Southgate did it at the World Cup with England, Pepe does it a City etc and it's something I'm trying to recreate on FM20. The problem is it's difficult to get the midfielders bursting beyond the striker and being the focus of cutbacks to score. 

My aim is to build some verticality into my team through dribbling, one-twos and through balls, then have the two free 8's as the creative hub and goalscorers.

Right now I'm toying with some of the settings from the Vertical Tiki Taka because the vertical bit seems like a good fit, but then taking out the Tiki taka bit. Im therefore basing what I have around the preset roles and duties there. It's still not quite right however so I just thought I'd throw it out there to see how people would go about creating the two free 8s. Should I maybe looking at duel Mezz (s), or a CM (A) in there? 

Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 5.43.33 PM.png

I'm curious about this. It isn't a term I have actually heard of. I guess the obvious question, from me, is, "what is a free 8?"

I know you said Southgate and Pep do it but who did/do they use? 

27 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

I'm curious about this. It isn't a term I have actually heard of. I guess the obvious question, from me, is, "what is a free 8?"

I know you said Southgate and Pep do it but who did/do they use? 

Peps principle revolves mostly around using the wing backs to come very narrow and then play in central midfield to form a 3, whilst his wide attackers stay wide, allowing the "free 8s" to form whats almost a front 5, with the freedom for players to get in between the lines.

This is rather than use the wing backs in a more traditional way by supporting the wide attackers with additional width as they come more narrow, overlaps etc.

For man city, you can see the way they will play two highly creative midfielders together, the likes of De Bruyne, David or Bernardo Silva in central midfield partnered with someone like Rodri or Gundogan.

The wing backs form the 3 with the central midfielder, the free 8s move forward.

Fomation in possession becomes akin to a 2-3-5

Right. I'm with you now. I remember back in the early days of fm when there was no fancy roles :lol:

I will follow this anyway to see if I can get any ideas. 

48 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

Peps principle revolves mostly around using the wing backs to come very narrow and then play in central midfield to form a 3, whilst his wide attackers stay wide, allowing the "free 8s" to form whats almost a front 5, with the freedom for players to get in between the lines.

This is rather than use the wing backs in a more traditional way by supporting the wide attackers with additional width as they come more narrow, overlaps etc.

For man city, you can see the way they will play two highly creative midfielders together, the likes of De Bruyne, David or Bernardo Silva in central midfield partnered with someone like Rodri or Gundogan.

The wing backs form the 3 with the central midfielder, the free 8s move forward.

Fomation in possession becomes akin to a 2-3-5

This exactly. I'm actually in the process of building a thread about the 235 which is according to a Michael Cox article I read recently, how all the best teams attack. It's just they do it differently. Klopp for example overloads the wide areas and keeps his midfielders central. Mourinho at Spurs has an overlapping fullback in a 4231. 

Just now, beverage1982 said:

This exactly. I'm actually in the process of building a thread about the 235 which is according to a Michael Cox article I read recently, how all the best teams attack. It's just they do it differently. Klopp for example overloads the wide areas and keeps his midfielders central. Mourinho at Spurs has an overlapping fullback in a 4231. 

The way you guys on here keep going, I will be spending most of my time reading tactical analysis threads :thup:

I've found success with a midfield consisting of Anchor - BBM - AP. The 8's get a lot of goals for me and one season my BBM got 20 goals. Usually the goals come from rebounds from blocked shots but they also come from created chances. 
I managed to win the Champions League my local team Hudiksvalls FF (Swedish 4th tier) with this tactic. But keep in mind it's from FM19 so it might work different on FM20 (from what I've seen it's still pretty good). 

3 hours ago, LeoFM said:

I've found success with a midfield consisting of Anchor - BBM - AP. The 8's get a lot of goals for me and one season my BBM got 20 goals. Usually the goals come from rebounds from blocked shots but they also come from created chances. 
I managed to win the Champions League my local team Hudiksvalls FF (Swedish 4th tier) with this tactic. But keep in mind it's from FM19 so it might work different on FM20 (from what I've seen it's still pretty good). 

This is actually good but I think it’s better on attacking. Do you use PIs ?

8 hours ago, Amazingortega said:

This is actually good but I think it’s better on attacking. Do you use PIs ?

I do use some personal instructions, for the left back, right back and BBM.

How is this year's ME doing when it comes to these free eights? In FM19 I didnt like how even a CM-a or Mez-a wouldnt go high up and between the lines during the early build up. They would often be very close to the inverted wingbacks. 

How is this ME? Is it possible to form an "almost front five" when possesion has reached the middle?

At work at the moment so can't post screenshots, but I'm having a lot of success with a 4-3-3 that was originally built to try and get inside forwards to work how I want them to (driving at the opposition goal and scoring lots of close range finishes), but also includes two CMs with license to get involved all over the pitch. My attacks, as a result, have five players around the box with width coming from the fullbacks. With fast, hard working players who can dribble it works like a treat. The two number 8's are an AP attack and a BtB support, with a half back in the DM slot. The team is set to more expressive, run with ball, play narrow and underlap. 

If I understood you correctly in terms of what style of football you want to achieve, maybe something like this could work:

F9/TQ

IFat                                Wsu

BBM     CMat

DLPsu

IWBde   CDde  CDde   IWBsu

GK/SKde

Positive

- play out of defence, much shorter passing, fairly narrow, run at defence, work ball into box

- no TIs (or counter only)

- standard DL & standard or lower LOE

Not sure though if Villa is the right team for such style of football.