Help: 60% Possession, Nothing to show for it.

Hey folks, bit of a lurker in these forums for almost 20 years now

In FM 20 I am struggling to find a tactic that can create good chances. I'm getting 60% possession every game with a standard 4-3-3 wide (man city esq) formation but i'm still getting beat 1-0 or 2-0 because my team cant score.

I've tried using Inverted wingers, inside forwards, poachers, deep lying forwards you name it i've tried it!

image.thumb.png.d98a437a88ac31bd8176d873112ce31d.png

I've had this issue with Cardiff/Bayer Leverkusen/Arsenal a variation of teams. No goals being scored.

I suppose the question I want to ask the SI community is... where am I going wrong???

33 minutes ago, clemo said:

image.thumb.png.d98a437a88ac31bd8176d873112ce31d.png

where am I going wrong???

You are probably getting so high possession stats only thanks to the extremely aggressive defensive instructions (much higher LOE, extremely urgent press, counter-press, prevent short GKD), but your setup of roles and duties totally runs counter to a possession-based style of football. With all 3 forward players on attack duty, it is much more suitable for counter-attacking and/or fast attacking football styles than possession-oriented ones.

And that at the same time explains your defensive issues: 

i'm still getting beat 1-0 or 2-0

Because your tactic makes it too easy for the opposition to hit you on the counter by exploiting the defensive vulnerability created by your tactical setup (referring to the aforementioned defensive instructions + the overly attack-minded flanks). 

my team cant score

Playing all forward players on attack duties does not help them score if they don't have:

- space in which to operate and take advantage of

- sufficient and appropriate support from deeper areas 

In short, your forwards are probably fairly isolated as the only players on attack duty, and it's then compounded by the much higher LOE, which denies them space to potentially exploit. Your aggressive way of defending does not just expose your defense too much, but also works against your forwards by - as already explained - depriving them of the space they need. 

To summarize:

- your in-possession TIs are overly possession-oriented (much shorter pass, much lower tempo, PoD, WBiB)

but then at the same time:

- your setup of roles and duties is totally anti-possession

And all this is further aggravated by an extremely risky manner of defending.

I hope this analysis can help you understand why your tactic is not working.

Edited by Experienced Defender

8 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

You are probably getting so high possession stats only thanks to the extremely aggressive defensive instructions (much higher LOE, extremely urgent press, counter-press, prevent short GKD), but your setup of roles and duties totally runs counter to a possession-based style of football. With all 3 forward players on attack duty, it is much more suitable for counter-attacking and/or fast attacking football styles than possession-oriented ones.

And that at the same time explains your defensive issues: 

Because your tactic makes it too easy for the opposition to hit you on the counter by exploiting the defensive vulnerability created by your tactical setup (referring to the aforementioned defensive instructions + the overly attack-minded flanks). 

Playing all forward players on attack duties does not help them score if they don't have:

- space in which to operate and take advantage of

- sufficient and appropriate support from deeper areas 

In short, your forwards are probably fairly isolated as the only players on attack duty, and it's then compounded by the much higher LOE, which denies them space to potentially exploit. Your aggressive way of defending does not just expose your defense too much, but also works against your forwards by - as already explained - depriving them of the space they need. 

To summarize:

- your in-possession TIs are overly possession-oriented (much shorter pass, much lower tempo, PoD, WBiB)

but then at the same time:

- your setup of roles and duties is totally anti-possession

And all this is further aggravated by an extremely risky manner of defending.

I hope this analysis can help you understand why your tactic is not working.

Thanks mate, I will look to put this all into practice later (y) :)