Son in football manager

vor 4 Minuten schrieb freq1111:

hey guys i am playing fm20 with a team in germany but i am trying to get a son but every team i am at the youth intake the same names are popping up. Is that something new in fm20? Help me please!?

It's random, you should be early 30 as a manager for the best chance, but it's rare.

You have to be at least 34 years old.  Time at club doesn’t matter.  I have had a son in my first season.

To the OP, you can’t re-load the intake date itself for a son in FM20 since unlike in previous versions, the players are set in advance.

On 19/12/2019 at 22:23, sorrenmills said:

Been playing FM pretty much since forever. Never seen a regen son :(

Same here. Though even worse I think was in FM14 I had a player come through with the same surname, but wasn’t listed as a favoured person so wasn’t a son

• 1 month later...

I've actually had three over the years, which seems to go against the trend with everyone else!

This is a little hobby though - finding those of other staff (shame I can't search for brother, father etc in favoured person list)

4757956cf48987dcbd60d0d49d210457.png

c69c4c90370da322c5d48dbafab5c305.png

I have no real scouting knowledge and I'm playing without attributes but I can post if wanted - he's got 6 goals in 36 EPL games to date.

6 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

I've actually had three over the years, which seems to go against the trend with everyone else!

This is a little hobby though - finding those of other staff (shame I can't search for brother, father etc in favoured person list)

I have no real scouting knowledge and I'm playing without attributes but I can post if wanted - he's got 6 goals in 36 EPL games to date.

Haha quality. Wish this happened more often, it's very rare that I have seen this and I look for it all the time!

I totally agree that it would be great to have a search function for relatives.

39 minutes ago, Anthony Kenna said:

Never had one myself, but it would be really cool if you search for relatives. Developing other former player's or manager's relatives would be really interesting.

It would be great if it was detailed enough that as Arsenal manager I would be notified when D'Margio Wright-Phillips makes his career debut because Ian Wright is a club legend for example. Or even a media report where the fans want me to sign him because of the connection if his CA gets up to being good enough for my level.

9 hours ago, likesiamesefish said:

It would be great if it was detailed enough that as Arsenal manager I would be notified when D'Margio Wright-Phillips makes his career debut because Ian Wright is a club legend for example. Or even a media report where the fans want me to sign him because of the connection if his CA gets up to being good enough for my level.

Yes. I would like the game to make more of the media, as in stories within the game.

Off topic, but I played a team that had previously sacked me (in the same season) and there was nothing about it in the match build up. There wasn't a single question even in the pre match interview! I think S.I. should put more into the stories within the game, and you're right about getting the fans to have opinions based on links the the player, like the son of a legend for example.

I've never had a son on FM (or, indeed, in real-life), but I did once face a Dover team whose newgen goalkeeper was the 'son' of their manager. I thought that was quite cool at first... and then I read this article about Dad:herman:

I also had TWO sets of newgen brothers in my Dagenham team on FM13, but newgen brothers/sons still seem too rare to me. With more and more sons of ex-professionals coming into football these days (I hear that Alf Inge Haaland's lad is quite decent :p), I'd love to see FM reflect this better.

• 5 months later...

I just got my first one, planned (unlike some sons 🙄). There's a specific requirement to do it: when you start a game you buy a player, you keep them at the club and play them every season (just once a year is enough). After the player has had at least ten years with you and retires, you get an announcement that they've had a testimonial and retired. Then you get a son promoted through the youth academy (spoiler: they're usually rubbish 😞).

To get this achievement in the minimum time, you'd pick someone who retires after exactly 10 years. I thought I'd nailed it by signing a 25-yr-old, only for him to play til 40...

Screenshot_20200821-084031.png

Screenshot_20200821-084041.png

The only time I ever had a son was when I was just making an experiment on youth intakes in FM18. I wanted to see 20 or so to see if I was just having bad luck, or my intakes were always terrible (it was the latter).

In one of those experimental intakes I didn't keep, there was a son.

Had one when running a save in Iceland. He was Dutch Icelandic.

My girlfriend apparently had a Caribbean or African background, judging by the looks of my son, which is a bit surprising as I am Dutch and she was (I guess) Icelandic.

• 2 months later...

Is it true that saving the game the day before youth intake day, quitting to start screen and then reloading to the previous day you will eventually get a son?

After a very slow March and April I've saved to the right day, but each reload brings me the exact same players - should they be different every time? Or will a son just appear with the other names eventually? The only difference each time is which player is selected as being the most likely to succeed...

Thanks in advance before I waste hours doing this to find out it will never happen!

19 minutes ago, SaintNicol said:

Is it true that saving the game the day before youth intake day, quitting to start screen and then reloading to the previous day you will eventually get a son?

After a very slow March and April I've saved to the right day, but each reload brings me the exact same players - should they be different every time? Or will a son just appear with the other names eventually? The only difference each time is which player is selected as being the most likely to succeed...

Thanks in advance before I waste hours doing this to find out it will never happen!

The usual suspects can probably give you more and better details but the way my experiments went a lot of stuff is now hardlocked when the intake preview appears. Whenever I load just before the intake I get the same names and positions. The big difference are the stat spreads of the players and (at least according to my scouts) the distribution of talent and skill between them.

About the son topic: I think I had one in 17 but am not sure. It was my cheat file and I simply ignored youth players with low PA. but after some year I saw a random player with my unusual last name in the league ^^

• 3 months later...