Using the Director of Football

I am trying to play FM a different way. A little more realistic i suppose. I am trying to use my Director of Football to sign transfer targets. I am not letting him identify and bring in targets, i am doing that as i want the right players. So, i find a player. He has 5 star potential and would clearly be my best left winger. I have 9m in transfer budget and my scouts say potential cost is a max of 4.5. I tell him to go and get that player and he offers the club 1.1m and comes back saying the player costs to much. I then go and do it my self and get the player for 3.6m. This is happening over and over again, and i end up doing it myself. 

How can i improve the usage DoF. Or do you think this a poor way to play the game.

Ive tried to use a DOF in the same way you have and came across the same issues , and even when a bid is accepted, usually falls down on the contract talks stage if i dont negotiate it. So i only use the DOF now to renew staff contracts and to suggest players. Hopefully in future iterations, the DOF will become more intergral as it is in real life. 

Clearly the effectiveness of the DoF depends a lot on his attributes, but unless you are very confident in his abilities, it is best IMO to keep a control over what he does because he can shock you from time to time with some of his decisions.

• 4 months later...

I've decided to use my present DoF to negotiate any and all future contracts. The reason being that in my present save one of my top player's contract was due to expire at the end of the current season. When I tried to negotiate an renewal of his contract he would not accept anything less that being a star player and refused to accept anything less than about £260k per week. I didn't have a DoF so hired one and got him to negotiate the contract. The player then signed as a regular starter on £170k pw! To put things into context I  don't think it's me as my reputation is world class, determination and man management are 20 and level of discipline is 22 (that's not a typo) and our relationship is very close.

On 15/05/2020 at 10:11, Hovis Dexter said:

I've decided to use my present DoF to negotiate any and all future contracts. The reason being that in my present save one of my top player's contract was due to expire at the end of the current season. When I tried to negotiate an renewal of his contract he would not accept anything less that being a star player and refused to accept anything less than about £260k per week. I didn't have a DoF so hired one and got him to negotiate the contract. The player then signed as a regular starter on £170k pw! To put things into context I  don't think it's me as my reputation is world class, determination and man management are 20 and level of discipline is 22 (that's not a typo) and our relationship is very close.

I noticed that DOFs with a negotiation attribute of 20 are able to renew a contract with the same wage and bonuses as the player’s current contract, something I’m unable to do as a manager. Does anyone know if managers have a hidden negotiation attribute?

Does anyone have any experience of knock-on effects to get good priced resignings? I'm only 3 seasons in and have operated without a DOF so far and even my TD does nothing on the staff side, as I'm being a bit of a pedant micromanager.

For example, I'm Johnny Pushover and give one of my guys 75K/week with an international caps potential raise to 90K/week and he's largely happy with that for the first 3.5/4 years of his 5 year contract.

DOF plays bad cop to my good cop and gives him 60K/week and 75K/week with the international caps, while initially accepting the deal could the player get the hump in year 2.5/3 instead?