Sports Interactive Community
ryandormer

General discussion - playmakers and play styles

This isn't a tactic-specific thread, more a general discussion about how to use playmakers effectively in different playstyles. For example, what sort of playmaker would you use in a possession system? Or a counter-attack system?

I'm sure I read somewhere, a few years ago, that it was advisable to have a playmaker high up the pitch for possession styles (AM or more advanced CM) and lower on the pitch for counter systems (DM or deeper CM). Would you agree?

Ok, please bear in mind im an average player.

I like to use a playmaker (if at all sometimes i dont) in an area of the pitch he will get space.

So if the opponent is not using an AM then i feel comfortable using a DLP knowing he will join in the midfield 3 in possession and its my preferred option as generally i like 4-1-4-1.

This gives him space to operate in.

I also like to use the wide playmaker role if im using this in conjunction with an attacking player im trying to free on the opposite flank. Ive used wide playmaker nicely when building an overload and find it ideal if i train him to "switch ball to opposite flank".

Some playmaking roles i dont use. I dont know how to get an enganche up and running but my instinct is that he might be a good player to use in a diamond midfield.

I have used roaming playmaker but sparingly

15 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

So if the opponent is not using an AM then i feel comfortable using a DLP knowing he will join in the midfield 3 in possession and its my preferred option as generally i like 4-1-4-1.

Do you find the DLP in the DM position causes the team to play more directly from the back? So more akin to counter attack?

36 minutes ago, ryandormer said:

Do you find the DLP in the DM position causes the team to play more directly from the back? So more akin to counter attack?

I think thats PPM influenced but yes generally i find he will look for the ball over the top more than if just using say a normal DM.

But i personally think its the PPM that has most influence. Like maguire for example in any defensive role he will regardless always look for the defense splitting pass so id train your DLP to look for the risky pass if you want that trait

6 hours ago, ryandormer said:

what sort of playmaker would you use in a possession system?

DLP on support in a CM position or AP on support in a wide forward position. 

In a more progressive possession style, TQ (in a wide forward or AMC position) is also an option. 

6 hours ago, ryandormer said:

Or a counter-attack system?

AP on attack or TQ (if I opt to use a PM at all).