Attacking headers

Why are attacking headers so ridiculously poor,ive had 14 headers from corners,crossing etc with Spurs and not one has his the target,either 20 foot over the bar or way way wide,absolute rubbish match engine Kane and vertonghen were a few players involved......ive bought that game since championship manager,this is the worst ever,would love my money back but aint gonna happen 😡

i have the same issue .. i have two strikers with header technic 16 and they are both hugh. even if they are free for heading (well in 3d it seems they are free - in a radius of 3 meters there is no defender) they miss. well they miss even the target by far or they head just very slow to the goalkeeper.

how can i make this better. do i need to train header more? is there a solution? 

18 minutes ago, jay11118 said:

I dont think there is a solution,happens time and time again

Headers are technically harder to execute / score from than shots with a foot.

Most of the time, they are attempted under challenge / pressure from an opponent.

You also have to account for the angle they are trying to score from, their heading / aerial ability as well as aggression, bravery, determination, balance, composure and technique combined with the crossing and technique ability of the crosser and the ability of the opposition defenders and goalkeeper.

All of these factors may play a role in how well a player might convert a chance for a headed goal.

Plus other underlying factors that you can't necessarily see, like how well they play in big games (if it's a big game), how consistent they are, etc.

The match engine may not be representing headed attempts in a particularly attractive way, but I wouldn't say it's unrealistic that many of them miss the target or get saved.

It's not something I've noticed personally, I'm getting a decent number of headed goals (though I don't expect loads of them) from set pieces and open play. 

Perhaps you can upload a .pkm file in the bugs section with time stamps where extremely easy headed chances are being wasted? This way the SI devs can take a look and see if they can address something.

Edited by rockpie

11 minutes ago, prot651 said:

Don't get all this Me complaints . The headers I see are fine and actually there are some real good ones . Long ball is the only issue I experience but its not a game breaker

can you tell me waht team you have and what strikers? and maybe the tactical way you play. i want that my strikers do heading goals again. one is 1,86 and the other one is 1,93 and both have 16 in heading and 14/15 in finishing.

I've watched headers in detail, and ned to upload evidence, but here's my 2 cents:

Watch these in full detail and you'll notice 1 thing that's glaring - Players struggle to get of the ground. I noticed this on a free kick, with an open, unmarked defender Jumping reach of 17, Heading of 14, Height of 6 foot 4....  blaze the ball miles over the bar. At the point of contact, his left foot was not even off the ground. The player in quetion was also Milenkovic if that helps

Watching over and over, it seems to have the same pattern in that headers seem to be a last ditch reaction, vs predicting and jumping as the ball is approaching (not too early - lets say 5-10 yards before the ball is onto them), which is casuing the headers to blaze over.

Another heading issue is unnecessary headers. Both defensive and attacking ones. Offensive headers that are made near edge of gk-Area and should be taken down to feet. Defensive headers on crosses and passes that are going way of mark and defender still sticks head to the ball. I'll make pmk of this if i got the energy..

Edited by Pasonen

Headers on FM used to be ridiculously accurate if you sit down and think about it. Nearly every header in the game was on target (goal or saved), or just narrowly past or over. There may well be a bug with headers this year, but if anything I think it makes it more realistic. I've never seen headers go miles over the bar in any FM before, but I'm seeing it this year, and while it's frustrating if it's your own team, it is more realistic. I have to say I've not seen an excessive amount of them though. 

8 hours ago, Grifty said:

I’ve got a Defender with 15 heading and he’s scored 9 this year from corners and free kicks.

I got kimpembe hes scored about 5 but has missed about 50 only bothers me when we can't score but hes winning so many headers

19 hours ago, jere_d said:

I got kimpembe hes scored about 5 but has missed about 50 only bothers me when we can't score but hes winning so many headers

What are the real life % header to goal completion ratios? I have no idea so not sure if 10% is accurate or not.

• 9 months later...

I play attacking on wings and get dozens of crosses and corners every match. 99% of headers could go out of the stadium because they are so way over the crossbar. Anyone who thinks this is normal is either in denial or never actually watched the real sport because it is hilariously off in FM.

Edited by charlie_plaza

On 18/12/2019 at 16:32, Pasonen said:

Another heading issue is unnecessary headers. Both defensive and attacking ones. Offensive headers that are made near edge of gk-Area and should be taken down to feet. Defensive headers on crosses and passes that are going way of mark and defender still sticks head to the ball. I'll make pmk of this if i got the energy..

I have to add something to this old post because people have upvoted it lately. :D it's not only players head too much it's also movement issue where players move too slowly to get under the ball. Play is also way too cross orientated. Players force crosses and crosses find target way too often which harms the flow of the game. Anyway soon we will have new FM so why think about these anymore :)

Edited by Pasonen

Crosses going over their defence to a completely unmarked winger of yours on the corner of the 18yrd box, all alone with all the time in the world, but he chooses to head the ball instead of just taking it down to his feet, run towards goalie and place in the corner. extremely frustrating.

Same in defence, the oppositions cross is going out behind your goal, your fullback is chasing the ball, juuuust reaching it before its a goal kick to you, heads it back onto the field to a lone striker who scores against you. We were told to not do this when we were 8 or 9 in real life, yet on FM this keeps happening on the highest levels.

• 7 months later...

Tbh headers from offensive players in open play scenarios are still really poor in Fm21

No wonder low crosses is the recommended method. Because even Calvert Lewin only rarely gets his free headers on target