LENNONS 4-1-3-1-1

1 minute ago, andysafc said:

I completely agree with that. I tried taking off Tight Marking and the defence seems to collapse altogether. SI have a way of thinking how things work, but how are we to know how they think? Like i said a Natural Poacher should work more effective as a POACHER, within the right tactic, but that is not so. With a Natural Poacher i had 19 shots at goal and only one on target. It also seems if just one instruction  is wrong the whole tactic does not work. 

it is a little annoying, because you want to play a certain way. i just recently posted an issue i have with my GK. for some odd reason, the ME sometimes just completely ignores his instructions and they counter from it but nothing i can do about it. i have him slowing pace down and rolling it out to my CBs, the ME will do the complete opposite, about 6 times in one match he kicked it long to my wingers, 4 times out of the 6 it was a highlight for them and they counter my team. having 2 ball playing defs and a DLP in the DM pos, this shouldn't happen and me using SPECIFIC instructions, this should NEVER happen, but it does and they can score from it

1 minute ago, RDF Tactics said:

it is a little annoying, because you want to play a certain way. i just recently posted an issue i have with my GK. for some odd reason, the ME sometimes just completely ignores his instructions and they counter from it but nothing i can do about it. i have him slowing pace down and rolling it out to my CBs, the ME will do the complete opposite, about 6 times in one match he kicked it long to my wingers, 4 times out of the 6 it was a highlight for them and they counter my team. having 2 ball playing defs and a DLP in the DM pos, this shouldn't happen and me using SPECIFIC instructions, this should NEVER happen, but it does and they can score from it

I have noticed this also since the last patch. I also find it frustrating when defenders run the wrong way when a through ball is played, looks nothing like real defending at all.

I have just noticed BE MORE EXPRESSIVE is ticked on the Away version, i can probably get away with that with Sunderland in Division One but depending on which team you are it may be better to unselect that for away games.

I think this Match Engine has more bugs than before the first patch. When players trap a ball then stand and wait while his opponent runs away with the ball. You never see that in professional football and yet it happens throughout each game.

New features are implemented poorly, for example... You are expected to read Round 3 of the Carabao Cup. In the 2nd Round we are away to someone like Leicester, lose 1-2 but a good effort. I get the message... the board are upset that you did not meet your expectations for the Carabao Cup.  Expectations should be determined by who you play and who you get knocked out by, completely unrealistic.

Edited by andysafc

I think most tactics work with Sunderland in Division One with different levels of success, some work great but then collapse. Or they may work well in Division One but struggle in the Championship.

So now i have saved my game after winning Division One and will wait until i can get something that works well in the Championship. As we are expected to battle against relegation it will be a good test if i can get a tactic working, far more than it was in Division One. 

I kept my formation the same. I tried adding logic... if you are in a higher division it is best to keep possession and not waste it. So i slowed the pace down and shorter passing. I decided to go ATTACKING mentality both home and away. In my opinion, this should not work but it does with this Match Engine. 

I had no pre season at all with this tactic and it took me a couple of games to settle on the instructions but it has preformed way above expectations.

Untitled.thumb.png.ba18d4308aeca43fe15c3658ea219241.png 

Lennons 2.4.fmf

I get the Assistant Manager to do team training and Individual player Training. I delegate most jobs BUT i keep control of Opposition Instructions and Touchline Instructions. Although i don't alter them i don't want my Assistant Manager to give instructions that conflicts with my tactics. In game help is misleading, you don't need it.

Trying this with Alfreton to see if it works at the lowest level. In game advice tells me to play with DEFENSIVE mentality away to York. I ignore the advice and win 3-2 and are the better team. 

look at the possession, 60/40 away to the title favs.

alf.thumb.png.b86504e15a8d21771a80e633d5074d9e.pngalf2.thumb.png.c4d62cbfe4c1f2645c325d2e378b62fa.png

Edited by andysafc

On 09/01/2020 at 16:58, andysafc said:

TO HIGHLIGHT....

LENNONS 2.4 is the latest version of this tactic.

Lennons 2.4.fmf 43.3 kB · 12 downloads

Good work sir. You can also edit the opening post to put in the files there to download might be easier than having to get people to go to the next page. I'm glad you're still pushing with this though and not just using the attacking mentality, it's a nice change.

how can i change all my draws in wins whith 2.4? every 3 games i have an avrage of 1 draw , best win streak 5 wins and im a top team... under huge pressure of the board now.. im changing mentalaty as you say but it doesn't seem to do a thing any ideas on what im doing wrong ? cause i really think this can be something ;d 

17 hours ago, suptirior said:

how can i change all my draws in wins whith 2.4? every 3 games i have an avrage of 1 draw , best win streak 5 wins and im a top team... under huge pressure of the board now.. im changing mentalaty as you say but it doesn't seem to do a thing any ideas on what im doing wrong ? cause i really think this can be something ;d 

It is the newest patch, hard to get anything to work consistently. They want to make a game that plug and play tactics do not work, they want you to adjust your tactics to the opposition.... what they do not realise is most people who play the game do not understand how to do that.

You can do it BUT you must do a lot of revision. Within the pages on the Tactics and Tips forum there are lots of advice. You must understand how THEY want FM20 Match Engine to work otherwise you will have no chance.

For example...

Untitled.thumb.png.24f8490f6d1acfa472e21de6cf35eedc.png 

See the wide players? On one side you will have a Full back or Wing back on Support, on the other side they are on Attack. Same with attack, either side is different. SI believe that this gives balance when attacking. In my opinion it does not make sense, surely that makes your team unbalanced? 

You must also adjust to your opponents formation.

For example, if your opponent plays with an Attacking Midfielder you can use a Libero to man mark him. All these things are ok but unless you study the forums you would never know these things and as it says a couple of wrong instructions will cause a tactic to fail.

I am working on a tactic trying to take all this information into account... testing now.

it has always been my theory that whatever Tactic you use at home, away should be similar but a little shorter passing, Slightly slower tempo and narrow defending with the reason to keep possession because it is an away game. But the ME does not agree with this theory so it will only have short term success. Football Manager should be about implementing your theories into your team but that is NOT how this game works, you must follow how THEY believe will work. Another example.... a lone Advanced Forward on attack will not work but a lone Pressing Forward or Deep Lying Forward on Attack will. 

It seems using instructions which they advise, this tactic is a good way to start...

4-4-2 - Home.fmf

***IMPORTANT***

If you can do OI and In Match instructions yourself then good. If you are not comfortable with this then make sure you delegate it to your Assistant Manager. That way he will man mark certain players in certain formations.

From my testing you do not need a away version (which is against my belief) you just need to adjust the MENTALITY according to who you are playing. 

Because this is using theories that they recommend the football does seem better., it almost looks a different ME.  

At Dulwich they had no transfer budget, most players are on non contracts and they only lost one game so far.

In the FA CUP they beat 3 small teams then came up against Dag & Red from a League higher. We were big underdogs so i used CAUTIOUS and we won 4-1. 

Working much better than i expected.

Untitled.thumb.png.d06ca94e509345d102f1342de59cdcfe.png 

Edited by andysafc

Won the Vanarama South with 13 points to spare. Funny things i saw along the way...

A boardroom notification to say that the transfer budget will not be increased until i reach £2m in player sales. £2m? The whole team is not worth more than £100,000. Most of my players are on Non Contracts and only receive Playing wages, hence they have no value. I only have about 3 players that are contracted to next season.

When promotion was achieved i was told my expectations for next season is to win the Vanarama National League! Are they crazy? With this squad i would be amazed to avoid relegation. Game glitches i suppose.

Also i wanted to go from Semi Professional to Professional but the board rejected to by saying, historically we have never been above this level so we are happy to try to maintain this level rather than try to go higher. The objective for next season has been altered to Battle bravely against relegation. I will wait and see who i can bring in, i am not content to just battle against relegation. I may see how the start goes and keep an eye on what jobs become available.

18 minutes ago, suptirior said:

how do you make a tactic work for mor than 1 season ? this years fm is making that realy hard :D 

I agree. Season 1 with Roma finished third and won Europa League. Season 2 I feel like I need to score 3 goals a game just to get a draw

7 hours ago, suptirior said:

how do you make a tactic work for mor than 1 season ? this years fm is making that realy hard :D 

I agree if you are playing in the same division. It is because you have already played these teams so they know how you set up. You need to adapt a little.

Not a problem for me so far as we got promoted so we are playing different teams. I was expecting to struggle to survive in the Vanarama National. The tactic is exactly the same as last season and we have won the first 4 games. the board are not happy because they feel we cannot afford to keep paying the players bonus's!

Although i delegate most roles to my Assistant Manager 2 things i do myself....

1) Pick the team, the AM is not always right with his choice (seems to have his favorites!)

2) Chose Team Mentality myself. Pre match advice is often wrong. Often the AM advises to go Cautious in the next match when i will chose Balanced. I will only go Cautious if we are playing opponents much better than us. 

As you win games you became favorites not because you have the better team but because you have form and good morale. If you are on a losing streak you need to drop down to cautious or Defensive to grind results out. You cannot play Attacking style with a unhappy team.

Far exceeding even my expectations

dulwich.thumb.png.27e7c78d221587b12953b1c1931a1f7f.png

I think this is more suited to an underdog team. If you are a good team you should look to make some minor changes. Like... take off run with ball and include Be More Expressive. it is a good idea to have 2 versions anyway. 

1 hour ago, suptirior said:

i always draw mate doing the thing you say about mentalety and stuff just doesn't work when i score the opponent imediate scores back again and again and again 

Which team are you using? Are your players generally happy?

If you see the same pattern then break that pattern... if you score first go Cautious or even defensive. If they score first go Positive or Attacking. 

Edited by andysafc

21 minutes ago, suptirior said:

oh your'e changing it in game i always did it before the game maybe thats it gonna try now im using a smale team from holland 

Sometimes you can get away with leaving it all game, but normally it is better to react. If you are getting more chances step up a gear, if your opponents are getting more chances drop down 

Job offers started coming thick and fast, firstly from the bottom half of the Vanarama National which did not interest me, but then an offer came from Cheltenham who are struggling near the bottom of Division 2. I think i have taken Dulwich as far as i can. they only have a 3,000 stadium of which has only 500 seats i doubt they would pass the criteria to go any higher. It now gives me a chance to try the tactic with another team in another Division. 

cheltenham.thumb.png.20055bcae4434e40a8cf880b9dc684b4.png

Results were very slow at Cheltenham and i can see why people would give up on a tactic, but it needed patience. Cheltenham were near the bottom and there was no quick fix. A win was followed by a defeat, it seemed very hard to get a run together. Now it has finally settled down and from the last 7 League games we have won 5 and drawn 2.

At times it did look like it was not working but stick with it, once it settles down it becomes stronger.

I am finding now that a tactic that works perfect with one team may not work for another. That is not just my tactic, have a look at other threads it is the same.

This worked brilliant for Dulwich, far better than it should have, but at Cheltenham it struggled. Too many draws, but draws that we should have won. Just this season out of 12 games we have missed 5 penalties. If we had scored them we would have been top of the league.

All these draws are games we should be winning. it seems that is the way the game is nowadays.Untitled.thumb.png.c1c0d397324a592f4030de17719f3e83.png

In my opinion this Match Engine is screwed.

If you create a tactic that dominates the opposition and creates lots of chances you will struggle to score. You will win by narrow margins and although your defence is very effective and giving your opponents very few chances, you will concede a goal even if they only have one shot on target. Be honest how many times have you seen your opponents have one shot one goal?

I believe this is deliberate by SI, they don't like tactics that appear to be to good. They have been trying for years to stop tactics that exploit the ME.

So does it make sense to allow your opponents to have  more shots to make the stats look more realistic?

By doing this the one shot one goal is not valid and you are not dominating so you score more freely.

This does not make sense to me, but is that how this ME works?

stats.thumb.png.3c44f73c2e5f79484fdcdf518733be1c.png

Look at the stats... if anything Portsmouth were slightly the better team. But actually my players were much better. The player ratings and the scoreline tell a very different story to the stats. the game is screwed up.

It should be obvious that a tactic which creates plenty of chances and very few chances for the opposition should work, these tactics have a short shelf life on FM 2020. You will continue creating the chances but struggle to score and you will remain tight at the back but somehow lose a goal to one chance. Do SI really see that as realistic???

4 hours ago, andysafc said:

It should be obvious that a tactic which creates plenty of chances and very few chances for the opposition should work, these tactics have a short shelf life on FM 2020. You will continue creating the chances but struggle to score and you will remain tight at the back but somehow lose a goal to one chance. Do SI really see that as realistic???

This years FM has been the worst ever for ME. Theres no consistency with tactics and it's hard to get anything to work. I am seriously thinking about going back to FM19. If I could find an up to date data update for the squads then I would be loading it up right now

For me every tactic that works brilliant dies within a matter of time. I have tried making adjustments, tried reading and taking in information. But when it dies, that is it.

I think they have taken the game away from the casual player.