Sports Interactive Community
Raumdeuter

Player carry and stop the ball on the touchline then forgot to brake..and AI take a ball

21 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

Yes this happens far too often.

Nobody is saying that it doesnt, but just agreeing without giving the developers the evidence to fix it is pointless.  Upload a pkm when it happens, please.

4 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Nobody is saying that it doesnt, but just agreeing without giving the developers the evidence to fix it is pointless.  Upload a pkm when it happens, please.

I will when it happens next.

Hello All,

Thanks for posting in here and getting some PKM's and videos, they help us investigate so the more of them the better.

Regarding this issue, when the ball is rolling out of play, usually the player trying to keep the ball in play is running at full speed and that's the only chance that they get to keep the ball in play, if they put the brakes on, they won't get to the ball in time. So for the occasions when the ball is stopped either on or just before the line, we feel this is perfectly feasible to happen in the ME (unless we see this multiple times per PKM).

If this is happening for example 4/5 yards away from the touchline, then I would agree, there is enough space for the AI to make a different decision. Do we have examples of this occurring a fair distance away from the touchline?

Cheers,

Josh

19 hours ago, Josh Brimacombe-Wiard said:

Hello All,

Thanks for posting in here and getting some PKM's and videos, they help us investigate so the more of them the better.

Regarding this issue, when the ball is rolling out of play, usually the player trying to keep the ball in play is running at full speed and that's the only chance that they get to keep the ball in play, if they put the brakes on, they won't get to the ball in time. So for the occasions when the ball is stopped either on or just before the line, we feel this is perfectly feasible to happen in the ME (unless we see this multiple times per PKM).

If this is happening for example 4/5 yards away from the touchline, then I would agree, there is enough space for the AI to make a different decision. Do we have examples of this occurring a fair distance away from the touchline?

Cheers,

Josh

Not that I've noticed. It only happens when the ball is near the touchline. I'm struggling to understand how this is suddenly a thing in FM20, I've never noticed this happening in previous versions. It happens multiple times every game and looks ridiculous.

On 23/12/2019 at 17:37, Josh Brimacombe-Wiard said:

Hello All,

Cheers,

Josh

Could it be programmed that players tackle or clear ball without taking control of the ball first? Players could also change their running angle  to the ball that no stopping wouldnt be needed. Like run ball from side not directly.

Yes, or simply stopping in plenty of time as to not overrun it. These are supposed to be professional footballers, they should know how to run up and approach a ball without overrunning or stumbling over it.

On 24/12/2019 at 10:47, Tiger666 said:

Not that I've noticed. It only happens when the ball is near the touchline. I'm struggling to understand how this is suddenly a thing in FM20, I've never noticed this happening in previous versions. It happens multiple times every game and looks ridiculous.

It happened to me all the time on FM19 when a keeper saved a shot, pushing the ball away and my player used to run to the loose ball and stand still until the opposing defender run to my player to tackle him and clear the ball away.

I didn't complain back then because it was only a minor bug and as the mod above says, a player could run at full speed to keep the ball in play, but then struggle to put the brakes on or be off balanced trying to turn quickly at pace.

I came back on this forum to post my frustrations about the one on ones bug, but I see that's already been reported by several others. The match engine seems far slicker to me though, so I'm very happy overall.

Example of this happening far from the touchline, in the attached pkm at 34:17. The defender presents the striker with an unchallenged ball in his own penalty area.

The problem in the going-out=of-play situations is that the defender should realise it's better to just let the ball run out than to keep it in for the opposition and then run off into touch leaving the opposition unchallenged with the ball. Especially in the defender's own half.

Two other issues in the attached pkm that relate to overall problems with the match engine.

at 76:58 the defenders run away from an attacker who is then left free almost on the goal line to score. The AI in the game is Very bad at getting defenders to react to where the real threat is, rather than running to default with/without-ball positions. Much better override AI needed.

and at 92:50 the wing-back beats his man for pace, but with 10 seconds to go and his team needing one goal to equalise, he then slows down and lets the defender catch up. In this case there are only 2 sane options - cross the ball as soon as the defender is taken out of the running, or accelerate further to get toward the byline. The current match engine has some inexplicable logic where wing players wait for their markers to catch up before crossing. Get rid of this.

More Silliness.pkm

On 23/12/2019 at 16:37, Josh Brimacombe-Wiard said:

Hello All,

Cheers,

Josh

A player will almost always put the brakes on upon approaching the ball.
Full speed all the way is the exceptional play.
Players will reduce the intensity as to better control the ball and not overrun, as an overrun would create a potentially more dangerous situation should they not be able to control the ball.

The times players are more likely to not reduce speed is when they're just clearing the ball over the line, upfield or an anywhere-clearance just to get the ball away with more power and intensity.
In the provided videos above the players should definitely reduce speed, as there are better options around.

I'm speaking in context of my own observations and the videos in this thread, and in a general sense.
The videos show what i see myself in virtually every match. It is not the norm for a player to do this. It's the exception.

If a player does this consistently he's either a bad player or a bad decision-maker.

Edited by roykela

On 24/12/2019 at 11:47, Tiger666 said:

It happened all the time in previous FMs as well.

This has been doing my head in, its like the value of each point of agility has been massively reduced making players not be able to stop a ball and stay on it even while jogging. I'm glad others have posted pkms because frankly I got burned out trying to help get the behavior of wide players to be remotely realistic when attacking around and inside the box only to see it revert to the way it was in FM19 where they just simply smash the ball into the first defender that gets near them.

If you want this issue addressed, then please dont just agree with previous comments, but upload an example as many of the others above have done.

Hi All,

I can see the frustration as it may not look 100% neat and tidy so we will use these examples to investigate and see if we can clean this up a bit. It is worth noting however, players do run over the ball and into to ad hoardings in football just to get a touch to keep it in play, but the frequency does appear to be a tad high.

Under Review.

Thanks,

Josh

Josh, the problem is not the frequency with which players keep the ball in, but the fact that they are doing it in situations where it gives the opposition a free ball. There needs to be some calculation on the player's part about who will get the ball if they keep it in in this way.

If the ball would be left free for an opposition player, then they should just let it run out. If the ball is likely to go to a teammate or themselves, then they should keep it in like this.

The problem is that at the moment, 75% of the time I see this animation it's being done to give the opposition a free ball in the defender's own half.

On 23/12/2019 at 15:37, Josh Brimacombe-Wiard said:

Hello All,

Cheers,

Josh

I don't mind this when it's a friendly who has played the ball that is going out of play (so the other team would get the throw/corner)

But when it's a opponent player who has played the ball and your player stops it and then instantly loses it back to the other team
every time, the AI should be smart enough to check if there are opponents who will get there before themselves or other friendlies
and leave the ball in them cases. 

9 hours ago, Josh Brimacombe-Wiard said:

Hi All,

I can see the frustration as it may not look 100% neat and tidy so we will use these examples to investigate and see if we can clean this up a bit. It is worth noting however, players do run over the ball and into to ad hoardings in football just to get a touch to keep it in play, but the frequency does appear to be a tad high.

Under Review.

Thanks,

Josh

Hi Josh,

I see this frequently and whilst I don't disagree with the notion that players do overrun the ball in an effort to keep it in play they are doing so to preserve possession for an arriving team mate. They don't do it when the only beneficiary will be the sole opposition player. I can't think of a level of football where this could happen so it can't be determined by attributes. Also, if the angle of approach is less than 90' to the line the chances of keeping it in play and retaining possession should increase dependant on angle of attack and attributes. IMO.

Thanks for your work.

Cheers.  

Ok, that's good info all, thanks.

I'll take a look closely at situations when they keep it in play that benefits the opposition more so than the player keeping it in. Thank you for your patience with this.

Cheers,

Josh

73rd min - Milenkovic is running to catch the ball but he is also chased by opposition player and he catch the ball but he went out and the opposition player just took the ball and there is a big chance for them in which he missed the 1 on 1 situation.

Ajax v FC Utrecht.pkm

On 31/12/2019 at 11:43, Josh Brimacombe-Wiard said:

Ok, that's good info all, thanks.

I'll take a look closely at situations when they keep it in play that benefits the opposition more so than the player keeping it in. Thank you for your patience with this.

Cheers,

Josh

Here's another. Ball is going out for my goal kick but my defender busts a gut to keep it in then abandons it to the opposition.

11.06 Tottenham v Nottm Forest.pkm

2 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

Here's another. Ball is going out for my goal kick but my defender busts a gut to keep it in then abandons it to the opposition.

11.06 Tottenham v Nottm Forest.pkm

I don't know why is he chasing to catch the ball even thouh the opposition player is not get it? Why just don't let it go for goal kick?

I experience my self a lot of bugs like that.. Will post them when I get on my computer. 

To me hasn’t FM, the last couple of years, been property playable until after the January transfer-update has been released.. 

I don’t understand why SI make a new game each year. Why don’t they make one game and have real update and a well known and well functioning ME. 
When the game finally is working and there’s just a few minor bugs, a new game is being released.

Posted (edited)

Gotta be one of the worst FMs I've played.  Even messi does it 😂😂

So stiff if he gets the ball it's horrible

Edited by Rockywhu

Also, why does the opposition player always kick the ball agaisnt the legs of the player that keeps it in? Such a strange animation.

The issue is the frequency here. Yes it does happen irl, but also irl in most of these situations the player just tries to kick the ball hoping it will keep it from going out (and it doesn't typically), especially when the player notices (hard not to) that an opponent player is right behind him to claim the ball. What we see in ME is absolutely not realistic. It happens very VERY rarely irl.

Edited by bleventozturk