So 4-3-3 in non-league

I would say probably yes for the simple reason that it places a lot of responsibility on your fullbacks to defend the flanks and non-league fullbacks tend to not be very good. If on the other hand your fullbacks are good at your level then you might get away with it. Personally I always try to protect my fullbacks because they're often the weakest link in my team. Fullback is such an important role. They're often up against the most dangerous opposition player (the winger) and face being overloaded more than other players. They need to be able to defend, transition the ball from defence to midfield and if at all possible offer support and width.

So, for me, take a good long hard look at your fullbacks.

11 hours ago, Atarin said:

I would say probably yes for the simple reason that it places a lot of responsibility on your fullbacks to defend the flanks and non-league fullbacks tend to not be very good. If on the other hand your fullbacks are good at your level then you might get away with it. Personally I always try to protect my fullbacks because they're often the weakest link in my team. Fullback is such an important role. They're often up against the most dangerous opposition player (the winger) and face being overloaded more than other players. They need to be able to defend, transition the ball from defence to midfield and if at all possible offer support and width.

So, for me, take a good long hard look at your fullbacks.

Thanks. This is a helpful post. I definitely have noticed that the answer to most questions i have in tactics boils down to can my fullbacks be doing more. So it is helpful to see some one else considers fullbacks so valuable as well. At least in lower leagues

Edited by Hav3n_The_Hero

I’m using a 3-4-3 (3 strikers) in non league (Altrincham). We won the National League North in our first season and we’re 2nd in the National League in our second season. So yeah, a 3 striker system works well in non league. 

We don’t use fullbacks or wingbacks, but the wide midfielders in my system are very important so I guess that’s comparable. Cheers. 

Edited by 3runhomer