The Player Roles & Duties Map

5 minutes ago, chiani.ignacio said:

I dont understand how to download

You download it, and then open it. It is on html format, since it is a big diagram. I could export as pdf, but it would be trimmed to pages and would lose its "big map" format, defeating its purpose.

Just download each file,  and then open each file with any browser.

3 hours ago, chiani.ignacio said:

I dont understand how to download

Did you manage to open it?

PS: 271 views, 319 downloads, no reply. Alright then, next time I won't bother sharing... Merry Christmas, everyone

Edited by Zanman777

4 hours ago, Zanman777 said:

PS: 271 views, 319 downloads, no reply. Alright then, next time I won't bother sharing... Merry Christmas, everyone

I don't think people understand concepts like "core style", "number eight water carrier", etc.

Also, you can't choose fluidity anymore. The game sets it for you.

Ok then, I'll be uploading a 6-page quick introduction to these concepts, also based on guidetofm.com explanations :)

1 minute ago, OWD said:

I don't think people understand concepts like "core style", "number eight water carrier", etc.

Also, you can't choose fluidity anymore. The game sets it for you.

1 minute ago, Pedroig said:

1.  Since it is html, you don't need each file, single one has all five pages.

2.  Zoom is your friend.

3.  What are your thoughts of putting the Penetration, Solidarity, and Support ratings for each position, along with a calculator?

Attacking Structures

Taking care of that as we speak ;)

17 minutes ago, Zanman777 said:

Ok then, I'll be uploading a 6-page quick introduction to these concepts, also based on guidetofm.com explanations :)

Okay, fair enough. I appreciate your willingness to contribute with content.

I have looked at the website a few times and you are right, it is a bit of a mess! So well done on trying to simplify it!  That website takes creating tactics and makes it into trying to decipher a thesis.....  That would scare many people away, especially those that already argue that creating a tactic has become too complicated.

However, I wonder if other parts of that website could be added to your work.  For example: https://www.guidetofm.com/tactics/choosing-roles-duties discusses penetration, solidarity and support, and gives an advised score (that score is debatable and would be interesting to see people's ideas on that).  Then further down it looks at each role and duty and applies a penetration etc score to it.

On the same page it also discusses how each position provides attacking cover, provides defensive cover, applies defensive pressure and plays safe and analyses each role and duty for this.  It also suggests what roles to partner each role and duty with (see why this webpage is so complicated!).

I also thought it may be better to divide the columns into styles from the bottom of https://www.guidetofootball.com/tactics/playing-styles like direct attacking football and analyse what would be suitable for each style.  Then use that model to generate discussion and see what people could do to alter and improve it.  It could also show us what could be wrong in the website's thinking and help us to understand tactics better.

A few quick notes:

I believe I have seen the mods on the SI forums say a few times that not everything is correct on that webpage, but I am not sure what parts are wrong.

Also don't worry if people do not immediately reply to your post.  Many people may not have checked the website you got it from and therefore might be confused.  Maybe update your OP to explain a few concepts to help those reading the files.

1 minute ago, Andros said:

I have looked at the website a few times and you are right, it is a bit of a mess! So well done on trying to simplify it!  That website takes creating tactics and makes it into trying to decipher a thesis.....  That would scare many people away, especially those that already argue that creating a tactic has become too complicated.

However, I wonder if other parts of that website could be added to your work.  For example: https://www.guidetofm.com/tactics/choosing-roles-duties discusses penetration, solidarity and support, and gives an advised score (that score is debatable and would be interesting to see people's ideas on that).  Then further down it looks at each role and duty and applies a penetration etc score to it.

On the same page it also discusses how each position provides attacking cover, provides defensive cover, applies defensive pressure and plays safe and analyses each role and duty for this.  It also suggests what roles to partner each role and duty with (see why this webpage is so complicated!).

I also thought it may be better to divide the columns into styles from the bottom of https://www.guidetofootball.com/tactics/playing-styles like direct attacking football and analyse what would be suitable for each style.  Then use that model to generate discussion and see what people could do to alter and improve it.  It could also show us what could be wrong in the website's thinking and help us to understand tactics better.

A few quick notes:

I believe I have seen the mods on the SI forums say a few times that not everything is correct on that webpage, but I am not sure what parts are wrong.

Also don't worry if people do not immediately reply to your post.  Many people may not have checked the website you got it from and therefore might be confused.  Maybe update your OP to explain a few concepts to help those reading the files.

Alright! Thanks for the input! Will introduce people to the core concepts on the OP in a short while

The "map" is frustratingly extremely difficult to read and navigate in Google Chrome - you need to zoom it a billion times before it's readable, and by then you can drag it left and right but it doesn't let you drag vertically, in which case you need to scroll up and down by actually using the OUTER scrollbar since it generates two scrollbars, and if you use the mouse to scroll it drags the inner scrollbar which does nothing.

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

The "map" is frustratingly extremely difficult to read and navigate in Google Chrome - you need to zoom it a billion times before it's readable, and by then you can drag it left and right but it doesn't let you drag vertically, in which case you need to scroll up and down by actually using the OUTER scrollbar since it generates two scrollbars, and if you use the mouse to scroll it drags the inner scrollbar which does nothing.

True. What can I do to make it better, got any idea?

5 hours ago, noikeee said:

I converted the maps to image format. You can now zoom in + out with CTRL + scroll mouse, and left-click + drag to scroll. Should make things easier :)

16 hours ago, Robson 07 said:

Hard to read and no idea what it's telling me.  Needs narrative.

I've added some narrative to the original thread. I hope it is easier to understand the context and purpose of the maps.

2 hours ago, sovy666 said:

In FM18 I follow the method proposed by guidetoFM to build a tactic around short plays and it was successful. Anyone trying for FM20?

I haven't tried those tips just yet, but I'm eager to!

On 15/12/2019 at 01:57, Pedroig said:

1.  Since it is html, you don't need each file, single one has all five pages.

2.  Zoom is your friend.

3.  What are your thoughts of putting the Penetration, Solidarity, and Support ratings for each position, along with a calculator?

Attacking Structures

UPDATE: Included an excel calculator to choose the positions, roles and duties of your tactic. Excel will calculate the team penetration, solidity and support scores for you! 

2 hours ago, Zanman777 said:

UPDATE: Included an excel calculator to choose the positions, roles and duties of your tactic. Excel will calculate the team penetration, solidity and support scores for you! 

I can open it in Microsoft Office. I had to copy and paste the Position and Role - Duty fields, but it works. Thanks!

Edited by Angus Osborne

7 hours ago, Angus Osborne said:

I can open it in Microsoft Office. I had to copy and paste the Position and Role - Duty fields, but it works. Thanks!

Nice :) Anyway, another update: I have now included a Microsoft Excel version of the spreadsheet (.xlsx). I've tested it in Excel itself. It works now ;) 

Just now, chiani.ignacio said:

I noticed that in the guidetoFM page now the values of penetration, support and strength have changed. you saw it? Will it be the same or will it change a lot?

It changed loads going from 18 to 19, it was way simpler 

1 hour ago, chiani.ignacio said:

I noticed that in the guidetoFM page now the values of penetration, support and strength have changed. you saw it? Will it be the same or will it change a lot?

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

It changed loads going from 18 to 19, it was way simpler 

UPDATE: added a version of the spreadsheet for Football Manager 2020. Have fun!

1 minute ago, EnigMattic1 said:

That's the one. Cheers. Out of interest, is there any reason Inverted Winger isn't selectable from the dropdown on WF?

Yes, because in FM 2018 you can't pick inverted winger in the WF position ;) You can only do so in FM 2020.

1 minute ago, EnigMattic1 said:

Would it work if I copied them from WM to WF?

Erm... what do you mean? 

The penetration, solidity and support values for a WF Inverted Winger are undefined by the Guide to Football Manager site... because there is no such thing in FM 2018...

9 hours ago, Atarin said:

I am absolutely bamboozled. How do you use the calculator? When you give your explanation Imagine you're talking to a small child. I can't use these new fangled spreadsheet things.

Ok. First off, I'm going to asssume you have Microsoft Office in your computer (inlcuding Excel).

Which Football Manager do you play? 2018 or 2020? 

Download the right file for your FM.

Open it.

image.thumb.png.7403af4cc931336ce41d2ca7fc2fc688.png

The only sheet that matters to you is the Tactics sheet (the first one). Forget everything else!

image.thumb.png.a9af70d2b43baa21bec61ef5d9bf314e.png

in that sheet, the only cells you change are the "Position" and the "Role - Duty" columns. The others are only for you to read data from.

First, select a slot's Position.

image.png.b44fa408e464dde97f12d8102dbe20d2.png

An arrow pointing down will show up. Click it.

image.png.d9fd0e074ae9913b531df620894e4c77.png

There will ve a list of positions for you to choose from. Pick one.

AFTER you have picked a position for tht slot, do the same thing on the Role - Duty column: click the cell; then click the arrow button that shows up next to it:

image.png.e9493c432000bb1f95b709d84881e708.png

Pick a role - duty from that list.

This order is important! The available roles duties depend on the position on that slot!

Repeat for all 10 positions of the tactic you're designing.

After you've picked all 10 positions + roles duties, the total scores will show at the bottom.

image.thumb.png.d071423c44d0b2e8b8dc401e82c9f8da.png

And that's it.

I hope that makes it clearer

18 minutes ago, yann said:

Hi, good job, i will try to use it on a new save. 

Just a question, what is the meaning of the 'warning sign' in the pictures ? 

Thanks

Thanks!

They mean you should take a look at the "Special Roles - Caveats" picture. There you will find some notes about that particular role: who you should pair the role with, etc. ;)

Edited by Zanman777