FM20: Coventry City - Rise Of The Sky Blues

Lufcberg22

589996795_teamphoto.thumb.jpg.8059b2b823143c9eb349cbe90d2acbc8.jpg

Coventry City 19/20

So this is where we can discuss and help other who are managing Coventry like myself, The Sky Blues was an inaugural member of the Premier League in 1992 and spent 34 consecutive seasons in the English top-flight until relegation in 2001. Following eleven seasons in the second-tier Football League Championship, Coventry were relegated to League One in 2012, the first time they had been in the third tier since 1964. In 2017, there was a further relegation, with the club dropping to the fourth tier of English football for the first time since 1959. They had some great players along those years including the likes of Steve Ogrizovic, Dion Dublin, Noel Whelan, Darren Huckerby, Gary McAllister, Youssef Chippo & Robbie Keane.

Coventry City played at Highfield Rd, which in 1981 became the first all seater stadium in English football. In the late 1990s, the club's directors decided that a larger stadium was necessary, and so chose a site in the Rowley's Green area of the city. The 32,609-capacity Ricoh Arena was opened in August 2005. So far this season 19/20 they are ground sharing with Birmingham at St Andrews. They are due to move back in game to the ricoh 30/06/20. Hopefully they move back and we can be a better club with potential.

Meet The First Team Squad

GK.thumb.png.1f1be2d06901559aaeb70ee2e5aeaa13.png

DEF.thumb.png.6e1b8cba1d70822769aa8228bb03ead0.png

1502307073_DMSAMS.thumb.png.f3b204e3e8b84b2754d69e3de31e8d6c.png

ATT.thumb.png.6f19fc27c2c7497fa851befa6c9b351f.png

Club Details

KITS.thumb.png.40b405eedbbcd2e24ecd77a344b591fa.png

OVERVIEW.thumb.png.54c9b7e4b66c444513f23001bfc3d79d.png

Club Honours

HONOURS.thumb.png.db7dc08b3b11809fa2848d6bdd5d9432.png

Right so ive not gone into much detail with the squad etc, ive just given you a brief look at what you have to play with. You get no transfer budget to start off with. You will have to look at loans depending on your transfer activity. You have some good young players in there that you could look to progress with. Ive seen a few posts regarding talks of a takeover after a season or so, so maybe a few of us can get lucky.

This is going to be a tricky journey with not the best owners and not even are own ground for the first season, are you up for the challenge? Lets do this together!

#SkyBlues

I've endured and enjoyed several Coventry saves in the past. Although I haven't been back there for a few years, they've got a great nucleus of young talents who have developed at the club, plus some other promising youngsters that could have good careers. It should be fun to work with Dabo, McCallum, Allen, Westbrooke, Shipley and the on-loan O'Hare. You could potentially even get Bayliss and/or Stevenson back - but probably not Maddison or Wilson just yet!

1 hour ago, Harrymcintyre said:

I played around with cov for a bit when the first beta came out. They are the team I support after all, seems a tough challenge with having to get them into the playoffs and all. Good luck, buddy! 
And Brewster, nice signing. 

Cheers pal, Yeah i feel like i needed a centre forward that will get me goals and i put a loan offer in and managed to get him. Got a budget of £0 so will have to focus on loans

I've played 25 games with Cov so far and currently sitting 2nd in the league. We had a pretty average start but then started picking up much better results as the squad gelled together and I worked out my best system and line-up. I've largely been playing a 5-2-1-2 with O'Hare behind Godden and Hiwula.

Hiwula has been brilliant and is currently the league's top goalscorer. 

Just got to January and managed to sign Vernon Anita on a free. Doesn't really suit my current system but long term I'd like to play a 4-3-3 and he should be the perfect anchorman for that. I'll probably gradually bring it in this season and then go for it permanently next season with a few more signings. However I may need to rethink that if we get promoted! May be best sticking to a 5 at the back.

Still going strong in the EFL Trophy, with Wycombe up next in the quarters and I'm through to the fourth round of the FA Cup to play Luton away. So generally going very well so far and hopefully we can carry on towards promotion to the Championship.

Screenshot 2019-12-11 at 21.52.19.png

Edited by TheInvisibleMan

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my season with Coventry in 2nd place in League One. This was clinched on the final day of the season by beating AFC Wimbledon.

Hiwula was brilliant all season finishing with 39 goals in all competitions, and I'm now just waiting to see if he wins the Player of the Season award. He should be a shoe-in for that! Dabo finishing top of the assist chart was a real positive too, especially from wing-back.

My best XI shows the formation I used throughout the majority of the season, occasionally switching to a 5-4-1 when away from home and not favourites to win. This worked well, especially with the pace of Hiwula upfront in behind.

That'll probably become my main system for next season in order to play on the counter in the Championship. I'll now also have a full transfer window to recruit specifically for that formation and get some good, hardworking wingers on board to play in front of the wing-backs.

Excited for the challenge in the Championship but also hopeful that this will have put me on the map to other clubs higher up.

Screenshot 2019-12-23 at 19.22.23.png

Screenshot 2019-12-23 at 19.23.23.png