Anyone figured out how to survive the onslaught of laser guided longballs

5 hours ago, astrxAIR said:

hello my fellow tacticians, have any of you found a way to neutralise the cbs pogba level passing range

I direct you to @Experienced Defender‘s article:

By the way, if you post your system, tactics guys and I could help you create a better tactic. Please also include the style of play you prefer with the ways you envisage scoring goals with your intended scorers.

1 hour ago, sporadicsmiles said:

The obvious way to deal with long balls over the top is to drop your defensive line so they stop being a problem. Or to cut off the supply.

Yep i've tried both approaches. Even loaded up a Chelsea save as a test with their very fast CB's and high workrate forwards/midfield to try both approaches but it still happens regardless. They made a change to through ball decision making in a patch and since then it's been crazy in my experience. I still win the vast majority of the time, just wondered if anybody had consistent success with limiting this particular type of goal.

edit: I'll take screenshots of the tactical set ups and post them here later

Edited by astrxAIR

I agree with this, I've removed all instructions to press and even had my lines both on low and still suffered from these long balls since the patch. Only way I've found is sticking both full backs on defend but low line and defensive full backs isn't how I really want to play. 

Would be interesting to see the tactics that currently don't have this issue...

37 minutes ago, astrxAIR said:

Yep i've tried both approaches. Even loaded up a Chelsea save as a test with their very fast CB's and high workrate forwards/midfield to try both approaches but it still happens regardless. They made a change to through ball decision making in a patch and since then it's been crazy in my experience. I still win the vast majority of the time, just wondered if anybody had consistent success with limiting this particular type of goal.

edit: I'll take screenshots of the tactical set ups and post them here later

If you are doing right with the defensive phase it's normal to give some chances 1 of 1 to your opponent. It just happens. If it happens often then it's a problem.

Edited by Tetsuro P12

I'm having the same issues. Having being up 1-0, I switched to the park the bus preset with some modifications and duties on defend and somehow the AI managed to bypass my defensive line.

I now watch games in comprehensive until I, either score a goal, or past 20min just to make sure these still through balls aren't happening as often.

17 minutes ago, MadOnion said:

I'm having the same issues. Having being up 1-0, I switched to the park the bus preset with some modifications and duties on defend and somehow the AI managed to bypass my defensive line.

I now watch games in comprehensive until I, either score a goal, or past 20min just to make sure these still through balls aren't happening as often.

Even Poland do 'park the bus', but sometimes loses matches. If you think that a defensive formation makes you invulnerable (no more pass-through) you are wrong.

Edited by Tetsuro P12

The best approach i ever personally found was in a very successful save with Piacenza.

Strategy i used was a high press but to use HIGHER defensive line rather than MUCH HIGHER.

The key then is to close dowm slightly more but not SO hard they hurry the pass. Because if you hurry them they instinctively look for the ball over the top to relieve pressure.

So let them RECEIVE a pass but THEN close them down and shift them onto their weaker foot.

This was an effective approach for me

3 hours ago, palmamiguel92 said:

The long balls in this game are insane. Even with low defensive line they will still explore, it doesn't matter the center backs you have. I'm really getting fed with this engine.

I have no problems with long balls, and I don't even press high. It happens here and there, but rarely. Point is that if yours DCs aren't in line they will not make offside traps, leaving space for forwards with the right characteristics.

Long balls do seem a bit OP this time, most my goals are created from my Deep Lying Playmaker or ball playing defender hitting a 50 yeard pin point pass, and I play in the Finnish Second division lol.

I don't conceed from them, but I play fairly deep with both full backs on defend and a half back who ends up behind the back four.

5 minutes ago, thehig2 said:

Long balls do seem a bit OP this time, most my goals are created from my Deep Lying Playmaker or ball playing defender hitting a 50 yeard pin point pass, and I play in the Finnish Second division lol.

I don't conceed from them, but I play fairly deep with both full backs on defend and a half back who ends up behind the back four.

Please tell me how, it's something I would like to achieve. :D I tried Risky passing, More creative, DLP, AF, Pass Into space, Direct Passages, High, Tempo to no avail. :seagull:

2 minutes ago, Tetsuro P12 said:

Please tell me how, it's something I would like to achieve. :D I tried Risky passing, More creative, DLP, AF, Pass Into space, Direct Passages, High, Tempo to no avail. :seagull:

It has a lot to do with me playing fairly deep inviting pressure, my team currently has little vertical compactness because my front 3 are quite far up front while my back 4 are deep with a half back behind them most the time.

One of my two centre midfielders is a deep lying playmaker on defend, the other is a centre midfield on attack\support.

When my team wins the ball I have 3 players deep in the opposition half for my players to aim at.

However my tactic is tailor made to spoil games pick up draws and ge the odd win

My team are awful and keeping them in the division is the aim.

Sam Alladyce school of football :)

57 minutes ago, thehig2 said:

It has a lot to do with me playing fairly deep inviting pressure, my team currently has little vertical compactness because my front 3 are quite far up front while my back 4 are deep with a half back behind them most the time.

One of my two centre midfielders is a deep lying playmaker on defend, the other is a centre midfield on attack\support.

When my team wins the ball I have 3 players deep in the opposition half for my players to aim at.

However my tactic is tailor made to spoil games pick up draws and ge the odd win

My team are awful and keeping them in the division is the aim.

Sam Alladyce school of football :)

That makes sense. I would never renounce to my high defensive line, so I think I will have to renounce to long balls. :brock:

3 hours ago, thehig2 said:

I will to, once I manage a team that can play football haha

Start with no instructions, it's already decent with everything set to default, then turn up the defensive line, it will make your team more compact and less prone to error, then try to cover every segment of the field to let the ball move where spaces are, and don't overdo with attackers, you need the leg before the foot, they will play well.

24 minutes ago, Tetsuro P12 said:

Start with no instructions, it's already decent with everything set to default, then turn up the defensive line, it will make your team more compact and less prone to error, then try to cover every segment of the field to let the ball move where spaces are, and don't overdo with attackers, you need the leg before the foot, they will play well.

Back line have no pace, but are all fairly tall with good jumping reach and decent heading.

Dont do over do attackers ? my front 3 is pretty much a front 1, my wingers are defensive minded and dont contribute much going forward.

I'm playing a journeyman game, I'm keeping the team in the league while I get my coaching basges then I'm off to play more expansive football outside of Finland.

14 minutes ago, thehig2 said:

Back line have no pace, but are all fairly tall with good jumping reach and decent heading.

Dont do over do attackers ? my front 3 is pretty much a front 1, my wingers are defensive minded and dont contribute much going forward.

I'm playing a journeyman game, I'm keeping the team in the league while I get my coaching basges then I'm off to play more expansive football outside of Finland.

Why back line have no pace? If running with a lower defensive line it's normal, because they start behind opponents so will have difficulty to overtake them. If they start higher they get more chances. They get helped (and help) by wings and central midfielders.

Some managers play with two or even one attacker. You have your full backs or wing backs that can assist the maneuver. If wingers are defensive minded how would the team push up?

58 minutes ago, Tetsuro P12 said:

Why back line have no pace? If running with a lower defensive line it's normal, because they start behind opponents so will have difficulty to overtake them. If they start higher they get more chances. They get helped (and help) by wings and central midfielders.

Some managers play with two or even one attacker. You have your full backs or wing backs that can assist the maneuver. If wingers are defensive minded how would the team push up?

Backline have no pace because I'm playing in the Finnish 2nd Division, hence my low back line. 

Team doesnt really push up, I draw a hell of a lot games 0-0, loose a few and get a few 1-0 wins from a goal from a set play. 

My team are weakest in a weak division, yet I'm keeping them clear of relegation places while I use the club to gain my coaching badges. I'm not interested in progressing this team.

In my opinion long/through balls are a bit too effective. There's two reasons for this from my observation. First off all,  players  especially midfielders including my team and opposition have unusually high tendency to try through/long pass behind the defence.Second reason is that defenders, especially central, regardless of their attributes deal very poorly with the  long balls .They fail miserably to mark a running striker and also there's tendency from central defenders to step in front of defensive line right when opposition plays the through/long ball, leaving huge space behind and allowing easy 1v1 opportunity for a opposing striker. Part of the problem is also that full backs don't follow central defenders and potential offside trap fails.Since 1v1 conversion rate still  feels a bit low, in many games i feel that team that has a more moody striker wins. Because most likely both of teams will have 1v1 opportunities during the match. ME reminds me a bit of FM12 where through balls where also overpowered and roles like poacher were super strong.

I still think that it is a great idea from SI to include more through balls since previous ME version didn't really had them, but i would say that execution isn't perfect and can be better. If SI deals with long balls a bit better they could create an incredible ME that would be probably the best to date.

Edited by dubaRA7

5 hours ago, dubaRA7 said:

In my opinion long/through balls are a bit too effective. There's two reasons for this from my observation. First off all,  players  especially midfielders including my team and opposition have unusually high tendency to try through/long pass behind the defence.Second reason is that defenders, especially central, regardless of their attributes dearly very poorly with the  long balls .They fail miserably to mark a running striker and also there's tendency from central defenders to step in front of defensive line right when opposition plays the through/long ball, leaving huge space behind and allowing easy 1v1 opportunity for a opposing striker. Part of the problem is also that full backs don't follow central defenders and potential offside trap fails.Since 1v1 conversion rate still  feels a bit low, in many games i feel that team that has a more moody striker wins. Because most likely both of teams will have 1v1 opportunities during the match. Me reminds me a bit of FM12 where through balls where also overpowered and roles like poacher were super strong.

I still think that it is a great idea from SI to include more through balls since previous ME version didn't really had them, but i would say that execution isn't perfect and can be better. If SI deals with long balls a bit better they could create an incredible ME that would be probably the best to date.

In real world players often do more long passes than in this game.

3 hours ago, Tetsuro P12 said:

In real world players often do more long passes than in this game.

Okay, so frequency of the balls isn't the problem, but it is a bit problematic how defenders deal with it. It's not realistic that huge percentage of through balls lead to 1v1.

I think the issue is most teams irl do well with 3 left at the back or more often than not win a ariel duel or cb duels with a player making a run, in fm cbds just stand and wait till its passed/over them then have already lost the foot battle so 1v1 99percent of the time where as i bet irl alot less result in a 1v1 

1 hour ago, dubaRA7 said:

Okay, so frequency of the balls isn't the problem, but it is a bit problematic how defenders deal with it. It's not realistic that huge percentage of through balls lead to 1v1.

I think it depends a lot on players quality and defensive line. Fix them and you will see less 1 on 1.

Stop worrying and learn to love the bomb. If the other team beats you over the top and it leads to a 1v1, your keeper will make the stop. The keeper almost always makes the stop in 1v1 situations in FM20. 

So invite the long balls! Welcome the through balls! Your keeper will make the save (assuming he’s has reflexes, agility and 1v1 attributes). It’s better to have the other team try to beat you 1v1 than have them use patient possession play that actually can beat you. 

Edited by 3runhomer

14 minutes ago, 3runhomer said:

Stop worrying and learn to love the bomb. If the other team beats you over the top and it leads to a 1v1, your keeper will make the stop. The keeper almost always makes the stop in 1v1 situations in FM20. 

So invite the long balls! Welcome the through balls! Your keeper will make the save (assuming he’s has reflexes, agility and 1v1 attributes). It’s better to have the other team try to beat you 1v1 than have them use patient possession play that actually can beat you. 

this 100%

The long ball will lead to far less goals than a shot from the edge of the area.

8 horas atrás, 3runhomer disse:

Sure but e can't have the engine going on like this, it's just not real a bad central defender putting a long pass with one touch! and isolate a semi fast striker