Bosman Compensation?

Do we get Bosman compensation for players under 24 who leave when their contract expires? I offered a contract better than existing terms, but the player wanted more so talks broke down. It's January 9 and he has signed with a German club (I am in England) effective July 1. The player is worth £20M, so I don't want to lose him for nothing. I have scoured the internets and cannot find anything related to actually getting compensation for a player like this. I would assume the email announcing his signing would say I'd get X for compensation, but nothing. Did I screw something up here?

Edited by Joey Numbaz

The Bosman ruling meant that players could move to a new club at the end of their contract without their old club receiving a fee. Players can now agree a pre-contract with another club for a free transfer if the players' contract with their existing club has six months or less remaining

but have you offered a deal of equal or greater terms than his current contract?

I think you're confusing two things. The Bosman rules (afaik) doesn't imply a compensation. The only thing it allows is for a player to sign a predeal with another club if he has six months or less remaining on his contract. 

Afaik, if the player is under 24, there could be a compensation fee involved (the correct case that triggered it was Danny Ings to Liverpool). 

http://footballagents.org.uk/blog/tribunals-and-tribulations-transfer-window-danny-ings-case-study

Actually there are I believe 2 types of compensation if the player is U24

1. If offered a new contract by owning for same or better but player refuses, new club may be forced to pay compensation

2. The new club pays compensation to the club previously owning the player for training and development compensation

I think the fee is set by a tribunal if the clubs cant agree and I expect is set per multiple factors

My understanding is the compensation 'rule' was brought in to compensate the developing club. If he is 20 yrs old, presumably your club has invested time, money and resource into his development, and the 'buying' club should reimburse you. At least, that was the simple version, I think, of the Ings case.

The Bosman rule, is about employment rights, within Europe specifically, and also impacted the Player Registration rules in the game - Bosman was out of contract but his club wouldn't release his playing registration for free to play for another club (which was in another EU country) and the freedom to work kicked in in that case.

Thanks @Snorks ... I think I understand how and where it came from - but is this covered in the game? Do we get compensation? How do the mechanics of it work in the game? Has anyone ever received compensation for an eligible player leaving?

What counts as an 'offer'? Does negotiating with the agent but then he gives you an ultimatum and then the red message where he declines your offer and it breaks down? If the player won't talk to you, how can you make an official offer? None of this is clear in the game.

I've asked for a "Bosman Button" as a feature request in the past, to no avail. I am thinking of a button on the contract screen for an eligible player; where you can just hit it to offer the player the minimum to trigger compensation if he leaves. Now if the player isn't very good, he might just take your offer and you are stuck with him, so it can cut both ways.

But I have no clue if I'll get anything for this guy, which seems strange. And also makes me think I won't get anything for him.

Edited by Joey Numbaz

I think maybe the 'compensation for training and development' are the small percentages of the fees that you always see, right? Like team X gets 1% of the fee, team Y gets 0.5% etc. Does that make sense?

Edited by Joey Numbaz

6 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

I think maybe the 'compensation for training and development' are the small percentages of the fees that you always see, right? Like team X gets 1% of the fee, team Y gets 0.5% etc. Does that make sense?

Yeah that's it.

The compensation often shows up in the scout report if you are looking at a youngster - there will be '0' transfer fee but '50k' compensation for example. That's if you are te buying cub.

I haven't taken any notice of it with my own players t be honest - if they are that good I t them up in a contract as quickly as possible. Any compensation I always assumed went into other budgets rather than the transfer budget as it technically isn't a transfer fee.

I'm not sure on the game mechanics around this to be fair.

• 3 years later...

Bumping this one as I'm in a similar situation now. I have a player who is asking for 120k per week. I've offered him 40k which his agent rejected. He is currently on 10k per week.

In 14 days he will be 6 months away from his contract expiring. I am wondering if I will receive compensation when one of the 20 or so interested teams gives him a pre contract.

It's also complicated by the fact he has an automatic 1 year extension if we avoid relegation in his final season of his contract. We will avoid relegation mathematically in probably March, which would be after he has agreed a deal with another club on a 'bosman'.