Struggling

Hello, I would like if someone had the time to take a look at the attached tactics and match stats. I struggle to score goals. I have no player instructions, just the ones the player role dictates.

Thankfull for any constructive feedback to what's right and what's wrong with my set up.

2019-12-09.png

2019-12-09 (2).png

Id look to drop the line of engagement and defensive line back to normal to give your forward three space to run into, and then I would take off the work ball into box instruction.

Id generally look to be less of a high press team, and utilise the pace you have up front.

Look at the Man City v Man Utd game at the weekend, United were battering city in transition and I think this is the way forward for you, until teams begin to sit off you more.

in terms of midfield balance, I think id flip Pogba and Fred around, but then give Fred more of a central midfield role than playmaking role. Pogba is ideal for a mezzala role and should get you lots of goals, Fred more of a "break things up" role IMO

1 hour ago, Tryllefot said:

Hello, I would like if someone had the time to take a look at the attached tactics and match stats. I struggle to score goals. I have no player instructions, just the ones the player role dictates.

Thankfull for any constructive feedback to what's right and what's wrong with my set up.

2019-12-09.png

2019-12-09 (2).png

Who do you want to be the scorers and assist makers in the team because I can’t see any striking movement between players? What kind of style do you prefer?

Edited by frukox

1 hour ago, FMunderachiever said:

Id look to drop the line of engagement and defensive line back to normal to give your forward three space to run into, and then I would take off the work ball into box instruction.

Id generally look to be less of a high press team, and utilise the pace you have up front.

Look at the Man City v Man Utd game at the weekend, United were battering city in transition and I think this is the way forward for you, until teams begin to sit off you more.

in terms of midfield balance, I think id flip Pogba and Fred around, but then give Fred more of a central midfield role than playmaking role. Pogba is ideal for a mezzala role and should get you lots of goals, Fred more of a "break things up" role IMO

Thx for the input, testing now.

54 minutes ago, frukox said:

Who do you want to be the scorers and assist makers in the team because I can’t see any striking movement between players? What kind of style do you prefer?

I was primarily hoping for the three upfront and the mezzala to score the goals. I have changed the advanced forward to DLF (a), thought he might get to far ahead of the others. I like fast attacks, but not "gung-ho"-style.

3 hours ago, Tryllefot said:

2019-12-09.png

3 hours ago, Tryllefot said:

I would like if someone had the time to take a look at the attached tactics and match stats. I struggle to score goals

Honestly, a lot in your tactic is wrong IMHO. 

First, the setup of roles and (especially) duties is very unbalanced. The bottom half of the team are left on their own when defending, whereas the top half are likewise left on their own when attacking. The team looks totally disjointed. It's not how tactics - and the game of football - works. One positive though is that you at least are not one-dimensional.

Then, your defensive instructions are more aggressive than it's necessary/optimal. Just as putting too many attack duties up front absolutely does not mean good attacking performance and/or scoring goals, so too an overly aggressive manner of defending does not make your defense stable and solid. In fact, more often than not - the opposite is true. To be precise - neither more urgent pressing nor tight marking is a good idea in a tactic like yours, so my suggestion is - remove them both. You already have both DL and LOE set to higher, plus playing on a high mentality (positive), so making it even more aggressive only means adding unnecessary risk.

Also, do not use offside trap when you play CBs on different duties. Either play both on defend duty or remove the Offside trap instruction.

When it comes to your in-possession instructions, nothing looks particularly wrong, but I would nevertheless suggest you start with fewer and then gradually add more (or remove some) if needed. In other words, start with short passing and PoD only, then watch the match carefully and see if a bit higher tempo may be a good idea; or maybe be more expressive; or slightly wider/narrower width... try different combinations until you are pleased with what you see. 

In transition, I would remove all 3 instructions and add the Counter instead (you have very fast attacking players, so why not utilize that?). Dropping the LOE a notch (from higher to standard) in combination with a split block could also be of help in that regard. 

But before all that - make your setup of roles and duties more balanced and stable. If you would like to know how I would set it up, you are welcome :thup:

7 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Honestly, a lot in your tactic is wrong IMHO. 

First, the setup of roles and (especially) duties is very unbalanced. The bottom half of the team are left on their own when defending, whereas the top half are likewise left on their own when attacking. The team looks totally disjointed. It's not how tactics - and the game of football - works. One positive though is that you at least are not one-dimensional.

Then, your defensive instructions are more aggressive than it's necessary/optimal. Just as putting too many attack duties up front absolutely does not mean good attacking performance and/or scoring goals, so too an overly aggressive manner of defending does not make your defense stable and solid. In fact, more often than not - the opposite is true. To be precise - neither more urgent pressing nor tight marking is a good idea in a tactic like yours, so my suggestion is - remove them both. You already have both DL and LOE set to higher, plus playing on a high mentality (positive), so making it even more aggressive only means adding unnecessary risk.

Also, do not use offside trap when you play CBs on different duties. Either play both on defend duty or remove the Offside trap instruction.

When it comes to your in-possession instructions, nothing looks particularly wrong, but I would nevertheless suggest you start with fewer and then gradually add more (or remove some) if needed. In other words, start with short passing and PoD only, then watch the match carefully and see if a bit higher tempo may be a good idea; or maybe be more expressive; or slightly wider/narrower width... try different combinations until you are pleased with what you see. 

In transition, I would remove all 3 instructions and add the Counter instead (you have very fast attacking players, so why not utilize that?). Dropping the LOE a notch (from higher to standard) in combination with a split block could also be of help in that regard. 

But before all that - make your setup of roles and duties more balanced and stable. If you would like to know how I would set it up, you are welcome :thup:

"If you would like to know how I would set it up, you are welcome "- Yes, please.

2 hours ago, Tryllefot said:

"If you would like to know how I would set it up, you are welcome "- Yes, please.

PFat*

IFsu                                          Wat

DLPsu        MEZsu

DMde

WBsu     CDde    BPDde     IWBsu/de***

GKde**

* I would play Rashford as the striker (PFat), and Martial in AML (IFsu)

** The keeper would be ideally played as a SK on support, but de Gea unfortunately lacks the proper set of attributes (hence standard GK)

*** If RB (Bissaka) is played as an IWB on defend, then you can consider the Overlap right TI (otherwise not)

Positive mentality

In possession - shorter passing and play out of defence (other possible TIs/tweaks - be more expressive, higher tempo)

In transition - counter

Out of possession - higher DL, standard LOE, offside trap (and nothing more)

Plus split block (the striker, AMR, AML and MEZ - close down more PI)

From my knowledge of Man Utd current squad (and your starting 11 in particular), this is a setup I believe would suit them well.

Any questions?

30 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

PFat*

IFsu                                          Wat

DLPsu        MEZsu

DMde

WBsu     CDde    BPDde     IWBsu/de***

GKde**

* I would play Rashford as the striker (PFat), and Martial in AML (IFsu)

** The keeper would be ideally played as a SK on support, but de Gea unfortunately lacks the proper set of attributes (hence standard GK)

*** If RB (Bissaka) is played as an IWB on defend, then you can consider the Overlap right TI (otherwise not)

Positive mentality

In possession - shorter passing and play out of defence (other possible TIs/tweaks - be more expressive, higher tempo)

In transition - counter

Out of possession - higher DL, standard LOE, offside trap (and nothing more)

Plus split block (the striker, AMR, AML and MEZ - close down more PI)

From my knowledge of Man Utd current squad (and your starting 11 in particular), this is a setup I believe would suit them well.

Any questions?

Thank you. I'll check out your tips.