Sports Interactive Community
theonets

Are some goalkeepers better at stopping penalties than others?

Dumb question, but currently doing a Blackburn save on FM18, and my keeper is phenomenal on penalties. I don't think I've seen so many pens get saved in a single career for me. He is amazing and has won me so many games and shootouts now. 

Of course. I don’t know which attributes Has effect but anticipation definitely helps

14 hours ago, theonets said:

Dumb question, but currently doing a Blackburn save on FM18, and my keeper is phenomenal on penalties. I don't think I've seen so many pens get saved in a single career for me. He is amazing and has won me so many games and shootouts now. 

In the same way some are better dribblers or finishers i would assume yes there is keepers out there who excel at this 

14 hours ago, theonets said:

In the same way some are better dribblers or finishers i would assume yes there is keepers out there who excel at this 

Well, looking at the attributes, I would say:

One on Ones

The ability of the goalkeeper to do well when faced with an opponent in a one on one situation. Higher attributes will see goalkeepers make better judgments of the opponent’s speed and likely decision and result in them being more likely to make a successful decision.

Reflexes

This reflects how good the goalkeeper is at reacting to unpredictable events. If he has a high Reflexes rating, he will have a quicker reaction time to make more difficult saves and will anticipate a better position to make saves in general.

Positioning

This attribute reflects the ability of a player to read a situation and manoeuvre themselves into the best possible location to deal with the unfolding events in defensive situations. It is not used in attacking situations; rather, it is used to determine how well a player identifies who to mark, when and how and where to mark them, and whether or not they’re in the best position within their current tactical setup.

Anticipation

How well a player can predict and react to an event. If a player has a high attribute here he can read the game well and react to situations quicker than others. It also has a significant effect on a player’s awareness and whether they identify space for themselves to play in as well as reacting to signs of danger created by the opponent.

Decisions

The ability of a player to make a correct choice the majority of the time. This attribute is important in every position, and additionally works out how likely a player is to feel under pressure at any given moment, and to make the best choice accordingly.

One on ones seems really on point here as it is clearly a one to one situation. Reflexes are obvious since they need to react quickly. Positioning maybe experience maybe knowing where the player usually shoots to , in conjunction with anticipation and decisions. Maybe also Composure and Concentration.

So for me, GK with higher attributes in those areas would be better for penalties.

Edited by tyro

There is one line in the FM20 tips while loading and saving that tells everything that you need to know about saving penalties. Definitely tells the 3 steps needed to stop a penalty.

30 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

There is one line in the FM20 tips while loading and saving that tells everything that you need to know about saving penalties. Definitely tells the 3 steps needed to stop a penalty.

... care to share your wisdom?

14 minutes ago, Lilah said:

... care to share your wisdom?

Next time it pops up in game I'll tty to do a screen capture for you. But it definitely comes up in the helpong tips that you have while going through days in game. Do you read those?