Help Please

What issues are you seeing in particular? 

At first glance it's very one dimensional and easy to defend against. I'd prefer to have the AML as in IW on support duty and and an overlapping fullback. With the DLP on defend duty you can afford to bump your left back up to a WB support. I'd also prefer to use a deeper striker in this system, something like a DLF on attack. 

Defensively, in my opinion you're asking for trouble. A standard D line with no DM and a higher LOE will see big gaps between the back four and the midfield pair. That coupled with counter press could see you lose any defensive shape very quickly. With a Positive mentality your pressing is automatically more intense so this could compound the problem.

I don't know the quality of your players but I think you could balance this setup a lot better and also think about what Brighton are expected to achieve in the Prem. Can they really play a Positive higher pressing game?

I'd be looking to lower the LOE to standard (or even lower) to keep vertical compactness and also drop the mentality to balanced this will give space for your forwards to run into on the counter (but you need to make sure they're quick enough). I feel like in formations with no DM, compactness is even more crucial. With other TIs I would probably remove counter press as well. 

Think about the roles and how you can add more variety in attack with the suggestions above. 

This are just my feelings after having a quick look at your tactic but other people may have different ideas. 

15 minutes ago, alanfishead said:

What issues are you seeing in particular? 

At first glance it's very one dimensional and easy to defend against. I'd prefer to have the AML as in IW on support duty and and an overlapping fullback. With the DLP on defend duty you can afford to bump your left back up to a WB support. I'd also prefer to use a deeper striker in this system, something like a DLF on attack. 

Defensively, in my opinion you're asking for trouble. A standard D line with no DM and a higher LOE will see big gaps between the back four and the midfield pair. That coupled with counter press could see you lose any defensive shape very quickly. With a Positive mentality your pressing is automatically more intense so this could compound the problem.

I don't know the quality of your players but I think you could balance this setup a lot better and also think about what Brighton are expected to achieve in the Prem. Can they really play a Positive higher pressing game?

I'd be looking to lower the LOE to standard (or even lower) to keep vertical compactness and also drop the mentality to balanced this will give space for your forwards to run into on the counter (but you need to make sure they're quick enough). I feel like in formations with no DM, compactness is even more crucial. With other TIs I would probably remove counter press as well. 

Think about the roles and how you can add more variety in attack with the suggestions above. 

This are just my feelings after having a quick look at your tactic but other people may have different ideas. 

Very interesting and greatly appreciated. Certainly food for thought

It tells you, you leave space behind. You are playing with four attackers, eventually they are too much. That AM will barely partecipate to defensive play, it account as an attacker. That box to box is going to leave its place, that's another hole. Remove one attacker, cover the holes.

Edited by Tetsuro P12

6 minutes ago, matty_boy said:

Very interesting and greatly appreciated. Certainly food for thought

No worries. I would possibly look at a different formation and add in a DM if you've got one. Then you can look at making a CM more attacking to help in the final third but also do a job defensively. Three attacking duties in a top heavy formation is overkill for a side that are primarily expected to be on the back foot a lot of the time :thup:

2 hours ago, matty_boy said:

Untitled.png

2 hours ago, matty_boy said:

Can any tactical guru help me to understand where im going wrong

I don't consider myself a "tactical guru", but I believe I am decent enough a tactician to see where potential issues in your tactic are.

First, on the defensive side... you play in a top-heavy formation with no DM. But instead of looking to improve your vertical compactness, you are actually reducing it (standard DL with higher LOE). And on top of that, you have increased the team pressing urgency (to more urgent), which further compromises your defensive shape (not to mention counter-press, which for a team of Brighton's quality is really a bit too much). 

In terms of roles and duties, I don't see any difference between your left and right flank. A FB on support on the left - a FB on support on the right; a winger on attack on the left - a winger on attack on the right. Where is variety? When you are so predictable, it's far easier for opponents to defend against you. Think about that. 

AF as a lone striker usually tends to struggle when you play with a high LOE (even world-class strikers struggle in such a setup, let alone Brighton's). So either drop the LOE or change the stiker's role (PF on attack or DLF on attack can work, provided other roles are set up in a proper way, as well as the tactic as a whole).

When I look at your roles and duties, it seems as though you want to play some sort of counter-attacking football. But then when I look at your instructions - I feel confused because some of them point to a possession-based style (such as short pass, PoD, high LOE, distribution to CBs) , whereas others suggest a different type of football (e.g. high tempo, run at defence...).