Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mitja

Wide forwards too narrow in final third

Support duty wide forwards should stretch play much more than currently. What's happening now is that fullbacks are left without any support way too often, once the ball enters final third. In possession style tactics and against packed defense wide area is only space where there's room for succesfull attack and where cracks can open in opposition defense. Currently wide play is all about fullbacks (dribbling), I don't think I've seen first time cross after smart through ball in penalty area from me or AI. This is such a basic move, you see it in every game many times in real football. The point of overlapping fullbacks is to stretch play and be there for final first touch cross into box AND take awey one defender off the most creative player which is usually a wide forward. Currently they only fulfill the first task because of wide forwards too narrow positioning. The interplay doesn't happen enough, like there's invisible wall between MCs and forwards. All play ends up into fullbacks' feet when they start dribbling down the line. The same goes for central forwards how many times you see them staying wider and supporting wide players even once the ball is around the box. Moves into channels doesn't seem to add anything in final third. But they only stay central with very little movement in FM. I know I'm boring but there's simply not enough clever movement upfront, no interplay with forwards, no one-two's, no those little through balls from penalty area for unrushing player's first time cutbacks. How many times we see fullback just behind inside forward supporting him and waiting to rush into penalty box for a through ball. All teams are doing it constantly irl.  Look at fm17 ME it was all there. Here's one video of what I consider really bad simulation of final third through ball, there could be dozens of such goals each game, there is no movement upfront which would disturbe defense.

Edited by Mitja

First of all, the guy who posted the video above in the feedback thread was really happy with the movement of the front three and the subsequent goal that was scored. This proves the guy didn't think there was anything wrong with the movement and he also didn't think the wide forwards were narrow. He may also have been using narrow tactics which requires players to overload the center.

Here is the original post in which the video was posted. The guy actually liked the ME:

Edited by pats