"The game is too easy"

Just wondering, as I've seen a lot of people say this recently. But am I playing some sort of different game to everyone else? Like seriously i my version of the fame broken? I can't win a game, with anybody no matter what.

The last few FM games have been way too easy imo and I've lost interest in them because of it but I genuinely can't win a game with any team I play as.

I've even tried the standard presets in game, result lose..... Downloaded tactics (Ik they aren't plug in and play exactly) but they should still have a good balance to them generally, result lose..... I'm utterly lost for words.

Game by game, I don't think it's too easy but generally I have no complaints. In my current save, I've played 29, won 14, drawn 10 and lost 5. Currently in 3rd place, so over-achieving for a team predicted to finish in mid-table. In my first save with Ipswich, I won the division but that wasn't much of an achievement since we were predicted to finish 2nd. I've either played a simple 433dm wide, or a simple 442. The 433 is defensively better but struggles to get goals out of the lone striker; the 442 gets a better goal return but is a bit more vulnerable in defence - as you'd expect.

I never use downloaded tactics - "balanced" is exactly what they're not. I'll happily nick ideas from anyone who can explain why their tactic works or - more importantly - why it might not. For years, I've found that sensible tactics result in sensible football and sensible results. Good squad management, and smart recruitment, add the extra that allows me to over-achieve. I've also found that chopping and changing tactics throughout the season will see things going downhill in a hurry.

And by smart recruitment I don't necessarily mean finding wonderkids who'll transform your team. Identify your weakest player and find an upgrade. Then do it again. Over two transfer windows you can significantly improve your team with two or three signings.

2 minutes ago, warlock said:

"balanced" is exactly what they're not

Well yeah, but what I mean is you don't see an tactics with stupid midfield combinations, like 3 BWMs, 3 RPMs or 3 APs. That's what I mean. Or playing long ball with a false nine upfront etc... They're usually fairly well set out.

Given up on my Barnsley save as well so disenfranchised with the club IRL and I don't like managing them long term on FM anyway, I've finished the season which I'll update. Think I need to go to an easier challenge.

1 minute ago, Jamesbfc1887 said:

Think I need to go to an easier challenge.

Yeah, you did pick a tough one to start with (and one of the reasons I started with Ipswich :brock:). Give yourself a chance with a club that doesn't expect too much, and a squad that has a bit of quality. There's plenty of time to tackle the harder projects later :thup:

4 minutes ago, warlock said:

Yeah, you did pick a tough one to start with (and one of the reasons I started with Ipswich :brock:). Give yourself a chance with a club that doesn't expect too much, and a squad that has a bit of quality. There's plenty of time to tackle the harder projects later :thup:

Well I tried t o get something going with Gladbach in Germany but, I'm constantly getting countered on, balls over the top etc.. I've dropped both engagement and defensive lines lower etc... Stopped counter pressing, not closing down as hard etc... Then I just get dominated and played off the park as soon as I do these things.

Still going strong with Posh in January though, I started it in the beta and I've revisited it to get the good vibes back. I still concede chances like nobodies bsuiness just lucky for me Wimbledon are a bit crap :lol:

I know the feeling, bro. I must be a really, really bad FM player. I've playing FM since the original CM. In the past few years, I've been playing more, reading more about it, watching more videos. I spend a lot of time preparing the team, the staff, etc. And on the field, I'm failling miserably! I don't get it! 

I've just quited a Fiorentina save where I was 16th after 12 games, going on a 6 game winless streak.  My players keep hitting the bar, failling clear cut chances, etc.. Then, the morale starts going down and everything goes to ****. The same thing happened on my previous Boavista save. 

Whenever I see all those "the game is easy" posts, I get really annoyed. Either there people are reloading, going for the same "buy Halaand and Tonalli" saves, or I'm really bad.

So, so frustrating...

b2910aff71afef5f11f6d086e5474e68dc08ba9d

Panic over, I can win games, still not happy with the tactic though.

@Beltsu Yeak ik, the thing is I found success in everything I did (pretty much) in fm 19 but failed in most things after the beta ended this year, must be the change in the ME.

I was in the too easy gang but and I'd never dream of telling anyone how they should play the game but trying different challenges and systems in the game is probably the most enjoyable thing about the game, although constant defeats hits you hard like it did for me with Barnsley (my mouse and chair took the brunt of the pain though :lol:)

Off to listen to some Christmas music to chill out :brock:

4 hours ago, Jamesbfc1887 said:

Can't buy a win, but I see people romping to title wins with ease.

Maybe they cheat . Save the game before and if lose play it again.  Or give themselves unlimited money or picking teams that are huge anyway . Emphasis on maybe !! But there are ways to cheat 

Just to join in, I do something quite simple most years....I usually end up doing a couple of different saves every year. The first one I make really easy for myself by picking a big team in a division with not many big teams. I am no expert at fm, but this year I have gone for benfica. There's only a few very strong teams in Portugal and in 2 seasons I have lost 1 league game. Once i have got to grips with how the tactics perform each year I will often start a new save with a harder challenge. I notice some of the teams picked like Barnsley, Fiorentina. It sounds really obvious, but make it easy on yourself to start with before you pick a harder team to manage while you get use to each year. This year it only took me 2 pre season friendlies to get my tactic looking good and I haven't altered it at all since. It's a really basic 4231, based on the strengths of the players I started the game with. I find that's the best way, design your tactics on the players you begin the game with, don't try and force a tactic onto unsuitable players. No individual player instructions set at all. No cheating, no editing. 1 bwm,  1 dlp, inverted wingers, attacking full backs, ball playing defenders, advanced forward, so, advanced playmaker. Team set to positive and press high, counter. The full backs are the most important players in my team. They provide the width and most of the assists. A bit like Liverpool I guess. Honestly it's such a simple setup. If I started the game playing with my team (charlton), I would struggle too. Its funny to me that picking a big team is seen as cheating! This is how i learn the game each year and when i know it inside out, then i start a new save with a harder challenge. Thats all.

6 hours ago, warlock said:

I never use downloaded tactics - "balanced" is exactly what they're not. 

Spot on. They also encourage the occasional extreme case of supposedly getting "FM'd". One of the more popular schticks in recent years is it to push everybody Forward, where they all narrowly camp in front of the Opposition box where Players would be easily engaged. No side in Football trying to break down packed defenses does that. Depending on how the AI lines up against this…. loads of crap shots, set pieces and Little Goals. Additionally, the d-line oft is barely, if any protected at all, naturally.

That said, in General, if you find the game difficult with a download, you're on the wrong download. The more popular ones let you pick a way below average side, never do a Thing (including Subs), simply click continue and are almost guaranteed to compete for European spots from the off. Whether they're Right fully occasionally getting "FM'd" or not. Tipp: I'd enquire though About whether the set piece tactics would score plenty Goals too. You never know (first Paragraph). :D On FM19, the guys got sides averaging a fanatasy Goal per match from the Corner, and there were equally efficient stuff from the Long throw too. Can't be much supposedly getting "FM'd" like that. If the AI Drops Deep to spoil, it concedes added set pieces by Default. Like all of those, it's naturally exploiting game flaws.

Edited by Svenc

I always do 3 things which seem to help.

1. Play loads of friendlies, especially in the first year or when making a new tactic. I mean like15 games. All tactical mistakes are sorted well before the season starts.

2  play all your best players in their best position. Sounds obvious, but my strongest starting 11 are all in their favoured roles. If my best cm is a deep lying playmaker, then my tactic for the season will have a dlp. Same for every position. Sounds easy, but how many of your players are in a role that's not 100 per cent suitable? I build my tactic entirely around the players I have, I don't try and shoehorn players into my tactic. You see it in real life too, it's so frustrating.

3. If your tactic isn't working, simplify it, Dont complicate it. Watch the first few friendlies on full match, even for just 10 minutes, and you should be able to pick a couple of obvious strengths and flaws in your system. Then go back to watching highlights or whatever you prefer. Use less instructions not more, just make sure they are instructions that have an aim, a purpose. My whole team is set up to create space for attacking full backs. Have a purpose in mind and keep it simple.

9 hours ago, prot651 said:

Maybe they cheat . Save the game before and if lose play it again.  Or give themselves unlimited money or picking teams that are huge anyway . Emphasis on maybe !! But there are ways to cheat 

I'm having no issues with winning games. Started as Carlisle and got them to the Championship in 2 seasons. Then took over Newcastle in the Championship, got them promoted and into the Europa League in my first season. I've never once cheated and see no reason to. I'm guessing it's just peoples tactics, players etc.

Played most FM titles and not finding this any worse than others in terms of winning etc.

4 hours ago, Valleyg said:

Play loads of friendlies, especially in the first year or when making a new tactic. I mean like15 games. All tactical mistakes are sorted well before the season starts.

Yeah I'd forgotten about this, my tactics often go into the season very unfamiliar to the players.

Thanks for the rest of the advice too, back to basics I think and have an easier challenge.

@Svenc I think you've miss interpreted what I meant by "balanced", I was referring to the roles within them, you don't usually see really unbalanced midfields in them, for example 3 BBMs or 3 BWMs. I know they're often pretty terrible, with titles like "Unbeaten Liquid Football 4231".

I don't use them anyway, it's just losing every game pushes you to these things.

6 hours ago, Valleyg said:

2  play all your best players in their best position. Sounds obvious, but my strongest starting 11 are all in their favoured roles. If my best cm is a deep lying playmaker, then my tactic for the season will have a dlp. Same for every position. Sounds easy, but how many of your players are in a role that's not 100 per cent suitable? I build my tactic entirely around the players I have, I don't try and shoehorn players into my tactic. You see it in real life too, it's so frustrating.

Green Circles don’t matter! They have no effect on the game and contain no useful information. Instead analyze attributes and choose based on them.

Also notice that your rep with the players plays a bigger role in how they perceive you. That seems to make a difference, especially during matches if  you look at the teams various aspects.

Edited by Kazza

I wouldn't call it unplayable this version. I would, however, call it deeply flawed, buggy, badly implemented and not really much fun either.

But I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me it's my tactics and that everything works perfectly, flawlessly and without issue for them...

Edited by sorrenmills

8 hours ago, Valleyg said:

I always do 3 things which seem to help.

1. Play loads of friendlies, especially in the first year or when making a new tactic. I mean like15 games. All tactical mistakes are sorted well before the season starts.

3. If your tactic isn't working, simplify it, Dont complicate it. Watch the first few friendlies on full match, even for just 10 minutes, and you should be able to pick a couple of obvious strengths and flaws in your system. Then go back to watching highlights or whatever you prefer. Use less instructions not more, just make sure they are instructions that have an aim, a purpose. My whole team is set up to create space for attacking full backs. Have a purpose in mind and keep it simple.

I am very interested in nr 2. How is this working for you? Winning leagues and Champions League?

2 hours ago, Vali184 said:

Green Circles don’t matter! They have no effect on the game and contain no useful information. Instead analyze attributes and choose based on them.

Yes they do? The players decisions is better the greener the circle and role fits.

52 minutes ago, sorrenmills said:

I wouldn't call it unplayable this version. I would, however, call it deeply flawed, buggy, badly implemented and not really much fun either.

But I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me it's my tactics and that everything works perfectly, flawlessly and without issue for them...

Yep I'd agree, the ME this year for me is the poorest in a while, doesn't seem like they've got a good balance yet. Beta long shots op and players miss 99% of 1 on 1s now it seems like they've sorted it out.

But the balance isn't great imo, too many balls over the top and defenders just watching it as the striker or wingers pick the ball up and score. Ik high lines gift chances to the opposition but not in the way the ME gives them up.

Not enjoyed this FM much at all.

31 minutes ago, Dreambuilder said:

Yes they do? The players decisions is better the greener the circle and role fits.

Nope. It's just a visual representation to give new players an idea about which rolesuit a player. Doesn't matter if it's full green or half orange. The only thing that matter are his attributes.

2 full seasons for me. Won the league by miles both years. Failed to get out group stage of champions league 1st year. Losing finalist in champions league second year. Not too bad playing as benfica I think. My last challenge for myself is to create a second tactic specifically to play the bigger European teams, keeping it all much tighter and narrower, and relying on counter attacking. I'm not seeing the same problems some others are seeing with the difficulty of the game this year, honestly it took me longer to get going last year in fm19 than this year. Having said that, after my third season at benfica I think I will move on to a real challenge, like Bolton for example. The point is, if I inherit a team with 3 strikers all of whom has the strongest position and attributes of an advanced forward, then that is what I will player my strikers as, until I can sign my own players. Really simple and effective for me anyway.

31 minutes ago, Dreambuilder said:

33 minutes ago, Dreambuilder said:

I am very interested in nr 2. How is this working for you? Winning leagues and Champions League?

3 hours ago, Vali184 said:

You are quite right of course the attributes are very important, but I think the colour coded circles can be a useful approximation and use this information alongside the attributes for each player. I think my key point was really that I see loads of players with tactics set up poorly balanced, false nines here, mezzalas there, and players who can't play the position. If you want to play a certain tactic I think you should wait until you can either play the role well already, or have time to train your own players for the role. I would disagree that the green/red circles do nothing, I think they give you a good rough guide before delving deeper. I think most important is that you should have at least 1 decent tactic sorted well before you ever play a league game, using a few full matches to watch how it works.

one thing to consider thou is just beceause your whole team is in their natural positions and best roles that doesnt mean that they will play well as a team. Im playing as Bolton and had a kid who was tuoted to be the next Harry Kane but he just did not fit in my system so then I had to decide sell him or change my system instead. In this case I was more or less forced to sell because the money was too good do decline and because of debt that Bolton have.

6 minutes ago, Valleyg said:

You are quite right of course the attributes are very important, but I think the colour coded circles can be a useful approximation and use this information alongside the attributes for each player. I think my key point was really that I see loads of players with tactics set up poorly balanced, false nines here, mezzalas there, and players who can't play the position. If you want to play a certain tactic I think you should wait until you can either play the role well already, or have time to train your own players for the role. I would disagree that the green/red circles do nothing, I think they give you a good rough guide before delving deeper. I think most important is that you should have at least 1 decent tactic sorted well before you ever play a league game, using a few full matches to watch how it works.

You can train a player for 10 years on a role and he may never get a green circle. The only thing that matter is his his attributes. And of course you can't play a target man or a poacher as a F9. But you can play an attacking midfielder that has great playmaking attributes as a F9 and be really successful while the circle is yellow/orange. Please stop spreading false information.

3 minutes ago, emil_sbn said:

one thing to consider thou is just beceause your whole team is in their natural positions and best roles that doesnt mean that they will play well as a team. Im playing as Bolton and had a kid who was tuoted to be the next Harry Kane but he just did not fit in my system so then I had to decide sell him or change my system instead. In this case I was more or less forced to sell because the money was too good do decline and because of debt that Bolton have.

Quite right too. It's not a golden rule or anything. Im no expert, far from it, its just that im not finding it particularly hard this year compared to any other year.Whatever works for you is what's best. It's just that I have seen loads of people's tactics that are really complicated, have loads of players in unsuitable roles and have loads of conflicting ti and pi as well. Of course you were right to sell playing as Bolton. If it was another team who didn't need the money though, I would have built my tactic around 1 or 2 key players and what their best position and role is. That might mean a few of your players aren't always going  to be in their best role, but they would not be key players in key positions. I have seen great advice from real masters of this game, and they have said, what is it it you are trying to achieve? How can your tactic do this? My main aim was make space for attacking full backs, because I had good players to do it with, and I reckon a lot of players still just play random tactics - trial and error, with no real idea of what they want from their team, no focal point in the team, no real strategy or style of play to aim for.

Just now, Vali184 said:

You can train a player for 10 years on a role and he may never get a green circle. The only thing that matter is his his attributes. And of course you can't play a target man or a poacher as a F9. But you can play an attacking midfielder that has great playmaking attributes as a F9 and be really successful while the circle is yellow/orange. Please stop spreading false information.

It's not false information, it's a rough guide. Look at your full back. He might have a green circle for wing back and orange for complete wing back. Now check the attributes. They will correlate roughly to the circle colours. Now try the same with every position and role for every player in your team and tell me you don't see the correlation between circle colour and the attributes. Check it out because I have and it's there. It's real. It's a first guess before you check out the attributes. You can argue as much as you like, but it's completely possible to play well and create a good winning  tactic using the best role information alone. I do not mean the player should have a completely green circle before you ever play them there, like you say, you will probably never achieve that in 10 years. But if you have a ready made false nine who is way better than your ready made second striker, make your tactic to fit a false nine. It's really simple.

26 minutes ago, Vali184 said:

I have seen this argument done to death on forums before with people on both sides who know way more than I do. If you believe in attributes alone and this works for you - great. If you believe attributes plus player roles works for you - great. I personally think the player roles with colour code are there for a reason, which is as a first approximate before you study their attributes, you don't, that's fine.

Does it matter if I use a player out of position?

The answer to that is a mix of both yes and no. In an ideal world, with all things equal, you’d have a player Accomplished or better in each position. They’ll be more comfortable, they’ll perform to a higher and a more consistent standard and will be less likely to be targeted as a weakness by the opposition.

This isn’t to say that you can’t play someone out of position though, either on a regular basis or in times of need. For the latter, you can often plug someone in to ‘do a job’ and they’ll typically perform well enough to get by, particularly if the rest of the team is strong and the tactical structure helps to support them. Playing someone out of position longer-term, on the other hand, can work if the player’s attributes lend themselves well to the position and role assigned to them, and they’ll gradually learn and improve in that position the more they play there

The above is from the official football manager 2020 manual, and sums it up pretty well. I espescially like the part that says "particularly if the rest of the team is strong" nothing wrong with spotting attributes of your attacking midfielder would be a good false nine, that's good managing. But too many players put too many players out of position and role - in 1 team could be trouble. Thats really my point.

Not saying this is right, it's my opinion, use best roles plus the attributes to make your tactic. If the player information about suitable roles doesn't mean anything, I would like them removed from the game immediately please, so we can all go by attributes alone. Ha ha. Each to their own anyway.

Yea the most important thing when building a tactic is having a strategy of what is it you want to acheive with it and then the tricky part is how can you get the most out of your players in the tactic. For example maybe you cant get the most out of your single striker advanced forward if you play a high line, high pressing and dominate possession, what space is he gonna run into then.

Defintely agree wit

11 minutes ago, emil_sbn said:

Yea the most important thing when building a tactic is having a strategy of what is it you want to acheive with it and then the tricky part is how can you get the most out of your players in the tactic. For example maybe you cant get the most out of your single striker advanced forward if you play a high line, high pressing and dominate possession, what space is he gonna run into then.

Definitley agree with you, i think the key is making space for the right players and actually working out how you can position and move other players in your team to do this. I have seen it explained really well by other people, and I try do a really simplified version of this. If you have 2 attacking midfielders you want to break into the box to be a goal scoring threat, maybe get your centre forward to move into the channels to make space in the centre. Use inverted wingers or inside forward to make space for attacking full backs to bomb into, these are just ideas, but its good to have a thought process of i want to achieve this with my tactic, and to do it i need to do this and this.

Just to clarify, i still think the green/yellow/red circles have some purpose if you want to make a quick judgement on a players best position and role.

If I look at any player from my squad and do the following:

Take a forward in my squad who has solid green circle as a pressing forward, some 2/3 full green circles for some other roles, and finally some yellow circles for playing as false nine, treq, or poacher.

If you calculate an average of the primary stats for each role, you will see a full green circle will have a higher average stat than a partly filled green circle, which in turn will be higher than yellow, which is higher than orange.

I'm sure the algorithm that calculates what colour circle has more involved in it than the primary attributes, although I don't see the secondary attributes having as much of an effect. 

My point being, the further down list of suitable roles you go for each player, the less green the circle will get, until it turns yellow and orange, the lower the average rating of all the primary stats added together for that particular role are. This is not a hard and fast rule, but it stands in over 90 per cent of the quick calculations I have done. 

What I'm getting at is that the coloured circles are not meaningless and they will give you a quick insight into that players stats for each role.

It's important to note that they might be particularly weak in one of the primary stats, but good in all the others, therefore having a lighter colour, but still being really suitable for that role.

I would argue however, that saying these coloured circles is spreading misinformation is a bit harsh.

As I wrote in the feedback thread: So far I've started over ten new saves with FM20 and failed in every one of them. All of them look the same. When the season begins and I play the matches I either actually manage to score the first goal, but the rest of the match will be highlight after highlight after highlight of the other team having a corner, a free kick, or a throw in near my goal until they finally scores the goals they need to get even or win. Or they score the first goal and the rest of the match basically will be the clock ticking. On extended highlights. No matter what I try to do. Repeat this for 4-5 matches and the players want to have a talk about how incredible useless and stupid I am. A couple of losses later I start to cheat to end the downward spiral. And some games after that I usually end up playing the matches on the highest speed in the background while I watch YouTube, and replay the game if I am down a goal or more when I check back. Then I delete the save after a while because what's the point. 

It's possible that FM20 is long term easy, but I'll never know.

Edit: Just to clarify: I'm not saying SI should make the game easier, just that it's not for me. 

Edited by Viking
My hovercraft is full of eels

@Viking Have you tried letting your assistant Manager taking Matches over already. Or perhaps even better, have you requested that SI should introduce a tactical assistant Manager proper, given that actual Managers work with such in actual football. Perhaps even Clearing the tactical UI up. Even with the untouched tactic pre-sets -- I've never seen anything like that. If highlight afer highlight for them keeps popping up, they apparently have it easy to get into your final third over and over again. Which, unless you're Managing the poorest sides in all of  those saves, means a Basic mistake made, which perhaps shouldn't be possible to make either way, given that the game is simulating semi/professional football managing, not a basic course in such. Which would spring the question: How did you Play this before at all? A handful of Matches+ and every time you're already being questioned?

Edited by Svenc

On 08/12/2019 at 01:49, Jamesbfc1887 said:

Well I tried t o get something going with Gladbach in Germany but, I'm constantly getting countered on, balls over the top etc.. I've dropped both engagement and defensive lines lower etc... Stopped counter pressing, not closing down as hard etc... Then I just get dominated and played off the park as soon as I do these things.

I started with Gladbach & finding it a real challenge this year. What tactic are you playing? I am also seeing my side give away a lot of possession, not so much with balls over the top. I have the 3rd best defensive record in the league but struggling to really get good numbers of possession or goals. 

Im playing a 4-1-2-1-2 Narrow (no wingers)

On 08/12/2019 at 05:26, Beltsu said:

I know the feeling, bro. I must be a really, really bad FM player. I've playing FM since the original CM. In the past few years, I've been playing more, reading more about it, watching more videos. I spend a lot of time preparing the team, the staff, etc. And on the field, I'm failling miserably! I don't get it! 

I've just quited a Fiorentina save where I was 16th after 12 games, going on a 6 game winless streak.  My players keep hitting the bar, failling clear cut chances, etc.. Then, the morale starts going down and everything goes to ****. The same thing happened on my previous Boavista save. 

Whenever I see all those "the game is easy" posts, I get really annoyed. Either there people are reloading, going for the same "buy Halaand and Tonalli" saves, or I'm really bad.

So, so frustrating...

James

Now you have started winning. What you did you do before to change  things, because i am struggling?

Thank You

On 08/12/2019 at 03:02, Jamesbfc1887 said:

Just wondering, as I've seen a lot of people say this recently. But am I playing some sort of different game to everyone else? Like seriously i my version of the fame broken? I can't win a game, with anybody no matter what.

The last few FM games have been way too easy imo and I've lost interest in them because of it but I genuinely can't win a game with any team I play as.

I've even tried the standard presets in game, result lose..... Downloaded tactics (Ik they aren't plug in and play exactly) but they should still have a good balance to them generally, result lose..... I'm utterly lost for words.

On 08/12/2019 at 05:34, Jamesbfc1887 said:

b2910aff71afef5f11f6d086e5474e68dc08ba9d

Panic over, I can win games, still not happy with the tactic though.

@Beltsu Yeak ik, the thing is I found success in everything I did (pretty much) in fm 19 but failed in most things after the beta ended this year, must be the change in the ME.

I was in the too easy gang but and I'd never dream of telling anyone how they should play the game but trying different challenges and systems in the game is probably the most enjoyable thing about the game, although constant defeats hits you hard like it did for me with Barnsley (my mouse and chair took the brunt of the pain though :lol:)

Off to listen to some Christmas music to chill out :brock:

James

Now you have started winning. What you did you do before to change  things, because i am struggling?

Thank You

On 08/12/2019 at 02:31, Jamesbfc1887 said:

Well yeah, but what I mean is you don't see an tactics with stupid midfield combinations, like 3 BWMs, 3 RPMs or 3 APs. That's what I mean. Or playing long ball with a false nine upfront etc... They're usually fairly well set out.

Given up on my Barnsley save as well so disenfranchised with the club IRL and I don't like managing them long term on FM anyway, I've finished the season which I'll update. Think I need to go to an easier challenge.

Its really about just unerstanding how the tactics creator works, what all of the instructions actually mean, and building a system which is stable and effective within that and which creates a coherent style of play that works within the games ME.  Once you get it and it clicks the game is too easy.

Interesting reading this.  I am playing a save with arsenal at first, it is all about pre season, friendlies to get tactics working and players correct for positions. A 4-2-3-1 worked for me in the end with roles adjusted for what I wanted. Halfway through the season I was 6th, with wolves top! By the end I had sneaked 4th won fa cup and Europa League on pens.

Second season of the game I added another manager of Tamworth in lower league with prediction to finish 24th. Set up a standard 4-4-2. Started well 6 games undefeated, but because I had so many people come in for trials as I literally had 14 players and that's it. It killed my team's familiarity and then went on 8 game winless run. Getting your squad and tactic sorted before the season kicks off is definitely a must in this game. 

I don't believe it is a hard game but is not easy to. Preparation is definitely key in this to succeed.

23 hours ago, Vertical Tiki-Taka said:

I started with Gladbach & finding it a real challenge this year. What tactic are you playing? I am also seeing my side give away a lot of possession, not so much with balls over the top. I have the 3rd best defensive record in the league but struggling to really get good numbers of possession or goals. 

Im playing a 4-1-2-1-2 Narrow (no wingers)

433, basically the gegenpress preset with a few tweaks. Really struggled, I lost 5-1 to Koln but managed to scrape an undeserved win against RB Leipzig.

I signed Ascacibar from Stuttgart that was it.

Sorry for the late response. I've actually been on a football coaching course as ironic as that might sound.

As @tat501 says I understand what I need to do IRL with me team being a coach but it's about understanding how to translate that into the game by understanding what each instruction means. Something I've struggled with this year.

Edited by Jamesbfc1887

6 hours ago, d d said:

James

Thank You

Ermmmmm to be completely honest that was a save I did mainly in the beta, my tactic worked fine in the beta but failed miserably once the full game was released.

I've noticed 50% of my goals are from set pieces, so I'd try and make sure you set those up correctly.

532 seems fairly strong this year and I'm even found some success in a 442.

Try going back to basics a bit, less instructions as has been mentioned in the thread. Just try telling them to have slightly higher LOE, press with more intensity and play a slightly shorter passing for example, see how it goes from there. I'd say most successful tactics incorporate these 3 things to a degree, if not more pronounced.

11 hours ago, Jamesbfc1887 said:

@1984mattyd I agree, when I've swapped and changed my squad a lot it hurts the dynamics, if I bring in 1-2 players they seem to transition in fairly nicely, it's also explicitly outlined in the dynamics page I believe.

Yep it definitely is. Just with Tamworth I had no choice lol took over and had 14 players and playing a game on Saturday then a game midweek for the whole season is impossible to deal with so needed to try get more players in.