Youth and League B team strategies

It's near the end of season two and my youth team is down to a handful of real players, my Hoyd doesn't sign most of the youth intake or buy players and I get a negative reaction if I sign any player without a fantastic future. So what "level" is the grey players at, good enough to support the handful of stars? I'm wondering if I should just sign the entire youth intake every year (I think that can be done without anyone complaining).

B team that plays in a real league seems horrible broken and 2020 new features just made it worse, they don't sign staff or players and again when I try to sign players that is strong enough for the team, but will never get in the senior team, I get negative reactions. Also if you have more than 11 players any extras just idle at minimum match fitness (Unless you don't load the B teams league, then they all magically get 100% match fitness, but since the B team is part of the Senior squad this is also broken and create weird behavior, the hidden simulation of the league doesn't work when the team is real due to being part of the Senior team.)

In both cases the interface seems horrible designed for trying to figure out if you have a full squad of players and then you manually have to check match fitness to see what players to loan out, the AI elements that work somewhat for the senior team, seems completely broken for the B team and Youth squads.

If I don't have full teams the "manager" end's up playing players out of position, so my D(C) is being played as striker and I'm worried this will ruin the players development.

So what is the strategies and workaround to the broken behaviors?