Achieving Total Football in FM20 - Club DNA Experiment

This is very, very good. I'm not using a 4-3-3 but trying to build a DNA type strategy in my Wolves save with a similar pathway. There's an awful lot to consider. There are a few things that I almost demand of myself in the system I setup and use, certain roles within the structure and this is no different. I'm really looking forward to reading more of this as it's caught my eye and not a lot does anymore I've been playing the game for so long. Keep it coming.

3 hours ago, coach vahid said:

How it looks like in ME... Do you use PI for emulate this ? 

I just updated the original post with download for my tactic with all the instructions for what it is worth. This project is really much about getting the right players and not so much nitpicking the team instructions. I basically just added all the one I felt were key to Total Football style from watching old videos and some new ones such as the one by Tifo and reading excellent Inverting the Pyramid by Jonathan Wilson. I only use a few PIs that i recall. The only ones being to add roaming instructions to players who do not already have it hard-coded (except for central midfielder) and telling the inverted winger to run wider and the attacking mezzala to dribble more to make him a little more selfish in getting forward. So far only ran it in a few friendlies and the team is far from comfortable with it. It will take time, especially all the switching that the front three will need to do with the midfield three. But so far I was very happy with Harry Kane. Had him switching with Dele and playing as attacking mezzala for half the match. Don't think the opposition (AS Roma) expected that and couldn't really cope with his movement and deep ball control. He might not be Cruyff but I love the physicality he brings to False 9 role and to midfield. Thanks for reading!

Edited by crusadertsar

11 hours ago, Old Scouser Tommy said:

This is very, very good. I'm not using a 4-3-3 but trying to build a DNA type strategy in my Wolves save with a similar pathway. There's an awful lot to consider. There are a few things that I almost demand of myself in the system I setup and use, certain roles within the structure and this is no different. I'm really looking forward to reading more of this as it's caught my eye and not a lot does anymore I've been playing the game for so long. Keep it coming.

Thank you for reading and for the follow :) and glad that you enjoyed it.

I think I meant this to be a little side-project, one-time feature to break from my bigger long-term Young Devils series (also on this forum if you are interested) but now that I'm getting into it I'm starting to get drawn in haha. To be honest I have never really paid that much attention to player DNA in any of my previous saves, except to consider which attributes are optimal for whichever role I was using in a tactic. But now after having planned this one out, I am loving the structure and focus that it brings to my save. It is rather refreshing! Really forces you to scout and shop smartly. And to consider youth with a critical eye. Starting to see certain older players with a new eye too. SO I think you might just see more updates on this as I get more into the save ;)

Edited by crusadertsar

3 hours ago, Amazingortega said:

Do you think aubameyang will function well as a false nine or will be better as a RMD on the left wing 

I think he would be better as Raumdeuter for sure. If you are playing as Arsenal you should have good chemistry between Lacazette and Ozil sharing the False 9 spot. Lacazette is much more creative than Aubameyang. Have him switching with Ozil in attacking mezzala position.

2 hours ago, w_x said:

This is really interesting stuff. Any reason you haven't gone for counter-press?

Good question :) Im still in tactical tweaking phase. I considered it and might still add later on. But i figured that having high defensive line and aggressive closing down should be enough. Didn't want to overkill it.

Also, I don't like at time how counter press can make teams lose their shape and go chasing opposition around like a bunch of headless chickens. I prefer them keeping tight and close to each other.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, milestobudapest said:

Great thread! I'll definitely be following along. I imagine training will be a key part in moulding the players to be total footballers. Do you have schedules already made? What sort of individual training will you implement?

Thanks! Indeed training is a big part of it. The individual training I've been using is actually modified gegenpress. With focus on fitness and equal attention to attack and defence. Again theme being that you are trying to develop very well rounded footballers capabale of playing both in attack and defence. Also i always try to get the best technical coaches, usually from Portugal or Spain. 

• 1 month later...

A great thread - I am very interested in this. I tried to replicate the great Ajax Team 1970-73 on Fifa 20, with no luck ; but on FM20 there is hope. How do I go about finding the right players [ most difficult / expensive one is surely Cruyff ]? , can I download tactics from your original post straight into my game?, thanks.

17 hours ago, nextqprmanager said:

A great thread - I am very interested in this. I tried to replicate the great Ajax Team 1970-73 on Fifa 20, with no luck ; but on FM20 there is hope. How do I go about finding the right players [ most difficult / expensive one is surely Cruyff ]? , can I download tactics from your original post straight into my game?, thanks.

1DB8E5459251E087E263B6170FC684667A8CDEDD (1600×900)

This is my Crujff at the moment. So yes you will need a pretty special player. Very well rounded jack of all trades but also a smart playmaker type. A natural leader. And you can download it straight into your game. The latest version is actually here and is a little different from the one I described in the original article. 

Tactic Download Link: https://ufile.io/rqjns0g4

Edited by crusadertsar

On 02/02/2020 at 09:33, crusadertsar said:

1DB8E5459251E087E263B6170FC684667A8CDEDD (1600×900)

This is my Crujff at the moment. So yes you will need a pretty special player. Very well rounded jack of all trades but also a smart playmaker type. A natural leader. And you can download it straight into your game. The latest version is actually here and is a little different from the one I described in the original article. 

Tactic Download Link: https://ufile.io/rqjns0g4

This tactic plays some amazing football. Really enjoying it. Definitely needs time for your team to get used to it. My favourite kind of player is an all rounder, so i think my team was set up well already for this tactic. One of the highlights its this tactic can slowly build up play and also be very lethal on the counter. The left back on my team is phenomenal now with IWB(at). He plays pretty much like Gareth Bale vs inter for spurs back in the day. 

@crusadertsar I have a couple of questions. Would appreciate greatly if you could help out.

- I am not a top team but get 6th every season (three times in a row), so my players are not the best in the league. How should I adapt if its 0-0 at 80 minutes and playing newcastle with all 11 players camped in their own box? I have a load of chances and just cant get the breakthrough but thats football. Would like advice on how to go more attacking without removing the integrity of the tactic.

- I can't afford to buy a right back at the minute and main one is injured. My sub right back is not total football worthy. Any ideas on what I should change the rb slot to just until I can get a replacement? He makes the flow of the tactic terrible with his 9 vision and 11 passing and first touch. He sometimes shoots from the halfway line for no reason lol.

Thanks for your help.

3 hours ago, Irn Rvd said:

This tactic plays some amazing football. Really enjoying it. Definitely needs time for your team to get used to it. My favourite kind of player is an all rounder, so i think my team was set up well already for this tactic. One of the highlights its this tactic can slowly build up play and also be very lethal on the counter. The left back on my team is phenomenal now with IWB(at). He plays pretty much like Gareth Bale vs inter for spurs back in the day. 

@crusadertsar I have a couple of questions. Would appreciate greatly if you could help out.

- I am not a top team but get 6th every season (three times in a row), so my players are not the best in the league. How should I adapt if its 0-0 at 80 minutes and playing newcastle with all 11 players camped in their own box? I have a load of chances and just cant get the breakthrough but thats football. Would like advice on how to go more attacking without removing the integrity of the tactic.

- I can't afford to buy a right back at the minute and main one is injured. My sub right back is not total football worthy. Any ideas on what I should change the rb slot to just until I can get a replacement? He makes the flow of the tactic terrible with his 9 vision and 11 passing and first touch. He sometimes shoots from the halfway line for no reason lol.

Thanks for your help.

I would do what Bielsa would. Use a good midfielder with decent pace and crossing as your rightback. 

I wish I had an easy answer to those times when the other team is camping out and you just cannot generate anything. I had my moments too where i was stumped with 0-0 scoreline. My advise is to try not to change too much. Maybe try mirrored version of tactic in case the other flank is weaker. Or bring up tempo one notch. If the opponent is playing very narrow in front of their net then try increasing your own width by adding play wider shout. Throw on some fresh fast attacking subs. I usually keep one super sub striker in reserve for games like that. So as you can see there's is unfortunately no one sure answer. But keep on trying!

40 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

I would do what Bielsa would. Use a good midfielder with decent pace and crossing as your rightback. 

I wish I had an easy answer to those times when the other team is camping out and you just cannot generate anything. I had my moments too where i was stumped with 0-0 scoreline. My advise is to try not to change too much. Maybe try mirrored version of tactic in case the other flank is weaker. Or bring up tempo one notch. If the opponent is playing very narrow in front of their net then try increasing your own width by adding play wider shout. Throw on some fresh fast attacking subs. I usually keep one super sub striker in reserve for games like that. So as you can see there's is unfortunately no one sure answer. But keep on trying!

haha that makes total sense. My main right back is a leeds wonderkid who was initially a CM. He got moved there when the other right back got sent off, and has remained ever since.

I have tried the mirror version before and I think it works. I thought it was just a coincidence but now that you said it, it may not be. I have not tried the fresh attacking sub before though. This could be a good trick, espeically in the IF(a) slot.

Thanks for your help.

Whats your opinion of the striker role in your tactic? I was not getting much luck with the PF(s). The IF(a) and the PF(s) were getting in the way of each other alot. I tried DLF(a) but he was not getting involved in the build up much, but did provide through ball opportunities but these 1v1 never go in anyway, so it was kinda pointless. Im using DLF(s) and it seems to be really good for the counter but he doesn't seem to get in the six yard box when we have heavy possession outside the oppositions box. Are you still using PF(s)?

Thanks,

8 hours ago, Irn Rvd said:

Whats your opinion of the striker role in your tactic? I was not getting much luck with the PF(s). The IF(a) and the PF(s) were getting in the way of each other alot. I tried DLF(a) but he was not getting involved in the build up much, but did provide through ball opportunities but these 1v1 never go in anyway, so it was kinda pointless. Im using DLF(s) and it seems to be really good for the counter but he doesn't seem to get in the six yard box when we have heavy possession outside the oppositions box. Are you still using PF(s)?

Thanks,

I think ideal role would be complete forward on support. Probably most total football generalist role you can get. Unfortunately at United i don't have anybody yet that can fit that role outside of playing a midfielder like Oyarzabal there. My current strikers are just not technical enough. Wish I had Aguero haha.

Recently I purchased a Brazilian wonderkid who I hope can grow into it. Otherwise I am still using Pressing Forward on Support with mixed results.

Edited by crusadertsar

3 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

I think ideal role would be complete forward on support. Probably most total football generalist role you can get. Unfortunately at United i don't have anybody yet that can fit that role outside of playing a midfielder like Oyarzabal there. My current strikers are just not technical enough. Wish I had Aguero haha.

Recently I purchased a Brazilian wonderkid who I hope can grow into it. Otherwise I am still using Pressing Forward on Support with mixed results.

Haha yeah first season aguero would be amazing. I’m gonna go on the hunt for one now!