[FM20] Sheffield Wednesday

Tummyowl

4 hours ago, Rumple43 said:

So this is a development I wasn't expecting......

Admin.thumb.jpg.c1fab688aed2b6ee2171190982dd854b.jpg

Not really much I could have done I don't think, I've always managed to stay at least 20k under the proposed wage amount, and took active steps to bin off high earners.

5 games to go, still in 4th, but only 3 points off falling out of the playoffs. Automatic places are out of reach. Premiership or bust.....literally!! :-D

Wow...  My finances aren't great but this was partly helped by Chansiri selling the club which wiped out debts.  Still losing about £2 million a month second season...

Transfers!

Out;

Winnall > £16,000 per week in wages saved, and a fee of £1,000,000.

Fletcher > £30,000 per week in wages saved, and a fee of £3,000,000.

Harris > £10,000 per week in wages saved but the real reason was a fee of £5,000,000.

Reach > £20,000 per week in wages saved, and a fee of £10,000,000.

Luongo > £15,000 per week in wages saved, and a fee of £2,000,000.

Pelupessy > £12,000 per week in wages saved, and a fee of £1,000,000.

Fox > £8,000 per week in wages saved, and a fee of £1,500,000.

Jones > £3,000 per week saved, and left on a free.

Saved ~£114,000~ a week in wages, and generated £22,500,000 in transfer fees but not all up front. I really want to try and cancel some of the loan players currently at the club too.

In;

Colombo, Maldini, Diallo, Brescianini, De la Víbora, Pirola, Gasparini for a total of £15,250,000 (with as little as possible up front) and less wages than Fletcher! Promoted Urhoghide and Preston (and Hunt in case of emergency).

Trying to get Longstaff in on a season long loan with an option to buy in the region of £10 - 15,000,000.

Quite a few new staff have come in, to improve the overall quality of coaching at the club.

Made it to the playoff final, secured 4th spot. 

2-2 draw away at West Brom, then a late winner from on loan centre half Jack Simpson secured a 1-0 win and a trip to Wembley to play Forest, who I beat at home but lost to away during the season. 

Ongoing financial turmoil saw the club sell our Youth Facilities (something I’d never seen before) in order to stave off the administrators. To say the Playoff Final was all or nothing was a bit of an understatement. 

The day before the final, Forestieri finally got bored of rotting in the U23s and caused some unrest by declaring he was strongly considering leaving on a Bosman. Given the finances all season I wasn’t going to offer anyone a new contract til after the season, and in honesty his form had been dire. He went 13 games in mid-season without a goal and following a striker signing in January, he wasn’t even on the bench the rest of the way.

The timing of his announcement annoyed me, but not as much as Fletcher getting injured in the build up to the game and needing Forestieri to be in my bench. 

The game itself was grim. Low quality. They had 16 shots to my 8, but 4 on target each. I didn’t create much after hitting the bar 5 minutes in, was just trying to tread water and see if I could nip something. 

Reach is out injured. Harris is our injured. Fletcher is out injured. My AML is gassed and playing a 6.4. I look down my list and there’s pretty much Forestieri. Why not, he can always take a pen if it comes to it. 

FM gives it the “In comes the sub in what could be his final game for the club” line  

88th minute, Forest free kick. Dangerous position. Dealt with, and Forestieri grabs the ball on the edge of the Wednesday box....

https://youtu.be/MtKw7vyMlwQ

The rest, is history!

Might have to give him a new contract now, seems harsh to let him go. Cult hero!!

Hopefully the impending PL team money will stave off the administrators, we shall see. 

I am a huge  fan of him on the pitch in real life, however, on Football Manager he has been poor despite all my efforts (over three seperate saves). I usually let him go at the season, along with some others that are out of contract.

After taking over from Monk in late November with the team firmly bottom of the Championship table, we improved slightly, managing to drag ourselves out of the relegation zone by the start of the January window.

Rhodes was punted to Preston on a free, and Nuhiu to Wolfsberger for 150k, freeing up a bit of wage budget and allowing me to bring in Curtis Jones and Aaron Connolly on loan from Liverpool and Brighton. I also called up Shaw and Rice from the u23s so I could send Bates and Windass back to their clubs.

We continued to climb the table, up to the heady heights of 14th at one point. We even managed to beat runaway leaders Fulham in London, but a disastrous last 10 games of the season (1 win 2 draws and 7 defeats) saw us finish 19th. Lucky for me the board only wanted to battle bravely against relegation.

Fox and Pelupessy were given new contracts, van Aken and Penney returned from loan and were added to the squad, while Fletcher, Forstieri, Odubajo, Hutchison, Lee and Winnall were all let go as my wage budget for the new season was slashed from by over 100k to 450k p/w. Not exactly thrilled with my 141k transfer budget either. 

I brought in Josh Cullen on a free, along with Rhian Brewster, Herbie Kane, Angel Homes, Jonathan Leko and Victor Campuzano on season loans. The squad is looking a lot younger (and hopefully much hungrier) than the one I took over 7 months ago. 

Decent start to the new season 2 wins from 2 against Boro and Villa. It took until the end of October in the previous campaign for the team to win 2 games, so here's hoping we can improve on last season's poor showing. The board are looking for a mid table finish, and I'd be happy with that. I'm here for the long run 👍

Edited by Driver1175

@Tummyowl - you did well clearing all of those out and raising that money.  As for 'Fessi', i am similar to you.  Love him IRL for his work rate and stunning goals.  It is a shame he isn't rated higher in the game.

@Rumple43 - congrats on the playoff final win - got to give Forestieri a new deal now surely??

@Driver1175 - good luck this season.  i also have Kane and Gomes on loans this season.  Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Little update as I head into the first game of the season (Away at Reading).

So I managed to move out; Fletcher, Winnall, Reach, Harris, Luongo, Pelupessy, Jones, Fox, Stobbs for a total of £23,500,000 and loaned out Nuhiu for half his weekly wage (no luck with Westwood or Rhodes).

I picked up; Maldini, Colombo, De la Vibora, Gasparini, Brescianini, Lo Curto, Pirola, and Diallo for ~£14,500,000. I cancelled most of the loans too and managed to pick in a couple of season long loans including Longstaff, Garner, and Gomes.

I refreshed my staff, and my coaching is very high across the board.

I am very happy business so far, I just desperately need to get the younger players game time.

First team is shaping up to look like; Dawson; Iorfa, Lees, Borner, Palmer; Garner, Longstaff, Bannan; Murphy, Gomes, Fessi. Subs; Westwood, Pirola, Odubajo, Hutchinson, Lee, da Cruz, Rhodes.

Over time I am looking to develop and integrate within that first choice team; Maldini, Brescianini, Pirola, and De la Vibora.

I doubt I will repeat my previous effort with a league and FA Cup double, however, I am confident I do well and I am confident in my first team.

Anyway, I have a Sunday roast to cook.

Best of luck to everyone.

Also, I just want to point out how mental some of the contracts are, I think more or less JUST Fletcher and Wickhams wages covered ALL my incoming players (including loans). I have gone from a weekly wage of £477,816 to £343, 570.

I did try and sign a couple of old players (Toure) but he opted for more than my offer of £5,000 per week to move to Cardiff.

So, I am eleven games in... and it is time for an update.

Gomes and Maldini have been doing well.

Gomes - 11 games. 8 goals. 1 assists. 3 chances created.

Maldini - 9 games. 2 goals. 5 assists. 3 chances created.

Forestieri has been playing pretty well too; 10 games. 5 goals. 1 assist. 5 chances created.

Championship has been kind to the Owls; played 11, won 7, drawn 4, lost none with 23 goals scored and 8 conceded.

Fitness is a growing concern, a lot of the squad are young and they will become jaded and tired. I am trying to manage this better going forwards.

Can pay Rhodes off to leave, and at the very last minute I spent £250,000 on Musiala as (young) back up cover for Forestieri and Columbo. Westwood is too expensive to pay off (the board will not allow it), I can just about manage to pay them both off with some extreme wage tightening (and moving the excess wages from one to pay for the other). I'm keeping them now, in the league squad but they are both playing for the under 23 team. I'll try and move them on again at Christmas and will try to give them a bit of game time before then.

going well @Tummyowl.  it's a tricky one with Rhodes and Westwood.  Personally Westwood is FINALLY leaving at the end of the season (season 2) as his contract has finally expired.  going well in the league.  fitness is a bit of an issue i agree - a tricky balancing act.

Played 15, won 10, drawn 5. For 31, against 11. One point ahead of an excellent Leeds side.

Forestieri has had a couple of shockers (6.30 raitings, missing easy chances etc) and when (like I always do, issue a warning about the last game) I approach Fessi over this he always claims he had a good game and becomes unhappy (sulks) for a couple of games. Dropped him in favour of Rhodes / Colo as a sub for a few games, and Rhodes has scored twice :onmehead:and has played well on one occasion.

Crazy.

Anyway. Hoping Rhodes does just enough to convince someone to want to sign him, and I am going to try and get Westwood back before Christmas so hopefully someone wants to pick him up too (he has been injured since the start of the season).

• 2 weeks later...

First season over!

Championship Winner! ... err failed at the first hurdle with the League Cup, and beaten by Liverpool in the FA Cup quarter finals.

Played 46, Won 29, Drawn 13, Lost 4. For 86, Against 26, Goal Difference 60. Points 100.

Sheffield Wednesday had an excellent season;

Most goals scored, Best Shooting Accuracy, Best Passing Accuracy (91%), Best Average Possession (65%), Most Clean Sheets, Least Conceded.

My midfield trio of choice all finished with 94% passing accuracy too.

Brescianini, Maldini, Gomes, Chong, Garner, Longstaff, Bannan, Pirola, Iorfa, De la Vibora were all genuinely excellent. Borner, Lees, and Palmer were all good.

Thinking about next season...

There are a group of senior players out of contract, which should save £55,000 per week (Hutchinson, Foresteiri, and Odubajo).

I need to attempt to sign Longstaff, Gomes, and Garner (they all have relative low fee to buy options in loans).

I need to decide the fate of Palmer, and Iorfa (transfer interest in both).

I need to find a first choice striker, none of my strikers (albeit two are young) scored anywhere near enough goals and were generally passengers for large parts. Strikers are really not working for me on this years edition. I need to sign a first choice central defender and right back. I will see who else is available, but will only sign players who are upgrades. I will once again attempt to sign Rodriguez from Real on a free :D.

Good news; Birmingham got relegated (nothing against them) which means I can pick up a certain young player cheap-ish.

In other general news; Gerrard is at Southampton (again), Vieira is at Wolves, Pardew is at Palace, Eusebio Di Francesco is at Watford, Fran Escribà is at Brighton.

well done @Tummyowl.  congrats on the title first season and good luck next season.  

I have also just managed promotion to the Premier League at the second attempt.  Won the title with 102 points.  Relied on loanees again.  Gouiri scored 15 goals.  Bannan, despite the average rating and high wages assisted 20 goals.  Signed Chust on a free after his release from Real Madrid B and he was great at the back.  now worth £15m.  Currently working through pre-season trying to compile a squad capable of staying in the Premier League.  Finances are not in a good way though.

No, my finances are not great. I have a decent amount to spend to try and stay up but in reality I will be looking to sign 5/6 players on as little as possible, for as little as possible (relative to their ability).

I was fortunate to have a pair of decent young players come through in March, however, our youth setup has just been downgraded! :@

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/05/2020 at 11:48, rlipscombe said:

@Tummyowl - you did well clearing all of those out and raising that money.  As for 'Fessi', i am similar to you.  Love him IRL for his work rate and stunning goals.  It is a shame he isn't rated higher in the game.

@Rumple43 - congrats on the playoff final win - got to give Forestieri a new deal now surely??

@Driver1175 - good luck this season.  i also have Kane and Gomes on loans this season.  Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Apologies for going quiet on this one, meant to reply sooner.

Inspired by talking about Wednesday in here with you fine chaps, I figured I'd start my own thread in the story section and give my posts a bit more depth. I've just reached the point that we were talking about here, with the win in the playoff final. I mention what happened to Forestieri in today's post, funnily enough :-)

Pop over and go take a look, give it a follow etc. I usually post every 4 or 5 days, and each post is always 5 sections long covering two months of game time. Enough detail, but not too much. 

Hope everyone else's game is going well!

Hi again, been a while since my last post, not been playing so much recently thanks to work etc. 

Eventually made it to the halfway point of the 2nd season, and we sit 3rd in the table on 42 points from 23 games, 8 behind Blackburn and 4 adrift of Villa. 

Positives first, we started like a house on fire, winning 5 out of 5, and at Hillsborough our form has been brilliant, unbeaten with 9 wins and 2 draws so far , the highlight a 6-1 hammering of Barnsley in the Yorkshire derby.

The star of the season so far has been Jonathan Leko, who despite missing the first 6 weeks of the season through injury, has banged in 11 in 13 since coming in. Reach, Bannan and Borner have also been excellent.

On to the negatives, only 3 wins and 13 points have been picked up on the road. Not good enough if we want to challenge the top two.

We exited the Carabao Cup at the first hurdle with a loss on penalties to Macclesfield. Despite having 26 shots on target. And 7 clear cut chances. Oh well there's always the FA Cup.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, is anyone who uses this thread still alive? Its a total f#ck up of a situation IRL, but we all have to believe the club can survive (my local team Dundee survived in the Scottish Championship after a 25 point deduction for entering  administration 10 years ago)...... on the flip side Wednesday is going to be even more of a great fun save in FM21 with the points deduction next season. WAWAW 💙🤍🦉

Edited by Driver1175

I had almost finished my second season, but then had to format the old PC and as per usual forget to back up FM (and any other game files), so I've started again. Completely ****** it in real life, ha, but at least next season will be a 'real' challenege and i can pretend that the real season is not happening.

24 minutes ago, Gungner said:

What do you usually get for transfers when promoted?

From the Championship to the PL usually gives you about £30m, but a chunk of that disappears in automatic wage increases.

18 minutes ago, warlock said:

From the Championship to the PL usually gives you about £30m, but a chunk of that disappears in automatic wage increases.

Wouldn't that affect your wage budget, rather than your transferbudget?

6 minutes ago, Gungner said:

Wouldn't that affect your wage budget, rather than your transferbudget?

Yes, but it doesn't matter how much you have in the transfer budget if you can't afford to pay the wages. So you usually end up moving money from one to the other.

On 02/08/2020 at 10:48, Driver1175 said:

Hi there, is anyone who uses this thread still alive? Its a total f#ck up of a situation IRL, but we all have to believe the club can survive (my local team Dundee survived in the Scottish Championship after a 25 point deduction for entering  administration 10 years ago)...... on the flip side Wednesday is going to be even more of a great fun save in FM21 with the points deduction next season. WAWAW 💙🤍🦉

Yes, similar to yourself I started unemployed and took over in November with The Owls in the relegation zone. Managed to keep them up and get the finances back on track for now. Currently in mid November of season 2.

12 hours ago, warlock said:

My gripe is that players ask for a new deal immediately after promotion, even if they had automatic increases built into their wage. Unless that's realistic, but usually I just sell those who whinge.

16 hours ago, warlock said:

Unless you completely gut the roster. Not saying one should do that but recently with a League One team when I got promoted to the PL. But it's probably not a smart idea either because you then have 30 million to build an entire squad so you are probably right where when you would just change 8-10 spots instead of 20-23 and have less wage budget but also already a bunch of spots filled.

Either way, I don't think there is any way when you get promoted to the EPL, unless you maybe start with Fulham or Leeds, that the first season is not going to be very challenging and difficult. I heard from some people that the jump from L1 to CH is more difficult, I still think it's easily the jump to the EPL. The good thing is you should make really good money once you enter the EPL over the season and be financially secure if you don't get relegated in the 1st year even with Sheffield Wednesday.

still personally playing as the Owls.  into September 2022.  Just finished 9th in first premier league season.  Chansiri went but no sugar daddy.  finances ok.  Dawson the only current first team member in the first team.  a lot have gone but a few remain in the squad (and out of it).  

33 minutes ago, rlipscombe said:

still personally playing as the Owls.  into September 2022.  Just finished 9th in first premier league season.  Chansiri went but no sugar daddy.  finances ok.  Dawson the only current first team member in the first team.  a lot have gone but a few remain in the squad (and out of it).  

What's your squad look like now?