This is a joke, right...?

21 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

It's always 'game of the year' for me. 

15 minutes ago, Scotty Walds said:

It's pretty much the only video game I play, except for a few hours of Cricket Captain if I'm in the mood.

I agree with both these comments - but when they release a game where strikers can’t score one-on-ones and wingers shoot from all over the place, it can’t seriously be considered for game of the year?! Leading with their chin a bit, I think...

6 minutes ago, marcMCFC1986 said:

I agree with both these comments - but when they release a game where strikers can’t score one-on-ones and wingers shoot from all over the place, it can’t seriously be considered for game of the year?! Leading with their chin a bit, I think...

I sometimes wonder if people have the same game. I don't have one-on-one issues (strikers don't score them 100% IRL anyway), and I don't play with wingers (full-backs on wing-back role, attack).

5 minutes ago, Scotty Walds said:

I sometimes wonder if people have the same game. I don't have one-on-one issues (strikers don't score them 100% IRL anyway), and I don't play with wingers (full-backs on wing-back role, attack).

Same here.  I even had Shane Long scoring them (including a hat-trick, 2 of which were one-on-one with the keeper) and he hardly ever scores in real life.

I do use wingers though, although again, they're not doing anything I wouldn't expect them to do.

Probably makes it worse then - there is obviously a fully functional version out there, that some of us aren’t being given. 

Did you pre-order and have early access? Maybe those of us who did are being punished for it?

vor 1 Minute schrieb marcMCFC1986:

Probably makes it worse then - there is obviously a fully functional version out there, that some of us aren’t being given. 
Did you pre-order and have early access? Maybe those of us who did are being punished for it?

All playing the same version atm -  20.1.4

21 minutes ago, Scotty Walds said:

Same, no serious issues I've seen with my match engine so far.

1 hour ago, KUBI said:

86% positive reviews on steam. 

This forum might be not representative.

Or you could say that the steam reviews are not representative. Yes 86% positive, but there have only been 3985 reviews. There are over 335,000 members on this site.

Lies, damn lies and statistics. 

31 minutes ago, Scotty Walds said:

To be fair, they have acknowledged that there are several bugs with these issues that they're looking to fix in the upcoming patch.  

Obviously a lot will depend on things like tactics, players, team, league - but the people suffering from these things are genuine match engine issues.

There is relatively small but very vocal subset of these forums who dislike the game. Their being loud does not mean they have the majority opinion. I am really enjoying the game, and the very positive reviews on steam suggests I am far from alone in that.

Not that I would vote for it as my game of the year, mind. I have loved Three Kingdoms: Total War this year. I have sank a lot of play time into that game.

It won't win.. it's not mainstream enough.. along with the release schedule of course.

That said, can you remember a year when fm wasn't in the most played games of the year or top of the charts etc?

It's clearly a top top game that has a few flaws.. 

That said, AAA titles like the aforementioned total war series have bugs and flaws that are never dealt with either and they have 10x the budget and 100x the manpower in some cases..

FM gets high ratings because there is such a passion for a football management game. It suffers from having no competition in my view. I don't know if it's just becaue I was younger but I seem to remember the game being a lot more fun (but less realistic) back in the days when you could grab the likes of Tsigalko for peanuts at a smaller club and make them world beaters.

1 minute ago, hazzabish said:

FM gets high ratings because there is such a passion for a football management game. It suffers from having no competition in my view. I don't know if it's just becaue I was younger but I seem to remember the game being a lot more fun (but less realistic) back in the days when you could grab the likes of Tsigalko for peanuts at a smaller club and make them world beaters.

Never understood this argument...

Why do you think it has no competitors? there's a few reasons for that....  and why would it get higher ratings because there are no other decent management games? does having no direct competitors suddenly make the game a lot more fun or accomplished? 

There's also a very good reason why you found games a lot more fun when you were an age where fun was the goal in life... thats not to say it wasn't more fun in pat editions, only that it's dangerous to rely on your memory of a game from back in the day when you were a kid

vor 22 Minuten schrieb davehanson:

Or you could say that the steam reviews are not representative. Yes 86% positive, but there have only been 3985 reviews. There are over 335,000 members on this site.

If you just want to see, what you want to see, ok. 

49 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Same here.  I even had Shane Long scoring them (including a hat-trick, 2 of which were one-on-one with the keeper) and he hardly ever scores in real life.

I do use wingers though, although again, they're not doing anything I wouldn't expect them to do.

You're hardly going to see the issue with wingers if you don't use wingers are you mate.

21 minutes ago, Welshace said:

It won't win.. it's not mainstream enough.. along with the release schedule of course.

That said, can you remember a year when fm wasn't in the most played games of the year or top of the charts etc?

It's clearly a top top game that has a few flaws.. 

That said, AAA titles like the aforementioned total war series have bugs and flaws that are never dealt with either and they have 10x the budget and 100x the manpower in some cases..

In your last paragraph you have raised a point that has been discussed before, and that is the size of SI and its resources, and one poster raised an interesting point on one of these threads a few weeks ago about SI selling the game to another larger developer with a much bigger budget to drive the game forward.  Although being the only football management game of any substance in the market might make it an attractive proposition, I am not sure there is enough profit in football management games in general to make it a possibility, because IMO if there was then EA might have made more of an effort in their management game a few years ago

1 minute ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

In your last paragraph you have raised a point that has been discussed before, and that is the size of SI and its resources, and one poster raised an interesting point on one of these threads a few weeks ago about SI selling the game to another larger developer with a much bigger budget to drive the game forward.  Although being the only football management game of any substance in the market might make it an attractive proposition, I am not sure there is enough profit in football management games in general to make it a possibility, because IMO if there was then EA might have made more of an effort in their management game a few years ago

If by interesting, you mean utterly catastrophic, then yeah, it's interesting.

2 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Sega publish... they do not develop.. important distinction...

Sure, football management remains a niche market, primarily because simulation games are a niche market and even more so when focused 100% on one subject like football, but there is clearly a market out there for it.. the problem comes in when you have a game as deep and accomplished as FM and you try and compete.. you just can't. 

How do you expect a competitor tyo come in and compete with the fm database, the match engine (for all its flaws) is fantastic on the whole,  or the brand?  it's not going to be easy.. that's all a massive plus for fm and a testiment to how great it is

1 minute ago, Welshace said:

Sega publish... they do not develop.. important distinction...

Sure, football management remains a niche market, primarily because simulation games are a niche market and even more so when focused 100% on one subject like football, but there is clearly a market out there for it.. the problem comes in when you have a game as deep and accomplished as FM and you try and compete.. you just can't. 

How do you expect a competitor tyo come in and compete with the fm database, the match engine (for all its flaws) is fantastic on the whole,  or the brand?  it's not going to be easy.. that's all a massive plus for fm and a testiment to how great it is

I completely agree that it is nigh on impossibe for a competitor to start from scratch at this late stage, but I imagine the OP meant that another developer would buy the game outright including the code, expertise etc, but my point about the profitability still stands.

Games of the year should be at least for this year . FM19 should be the one represented ? FM20 should be for next year . Personally never trusted reviews on game sites etc as I find them flawed and over represented . I personally know of sites that pay money or gifts for good reviews . I use to work for such a business paid gifts for people to post good reviews and even coaxed employees to do so as well . Also cant see how PC Gamer and those type of sites can give reviews for games that have just been released with no mention of game crashes or bugs .  Just makes me suspicious I guess 

Edited by prot651

I just want to say, as the OP, that I absolutely love Football Manager - always have. There is a running joke amongst my friends that I go missing from November onwards when FM comes out.

However, I am gutted that this years is so unplayable, and they don't seem to want to even give us an estimate timeline for it to be fixed? Surely the manager at SI has given the devs a deadline - just let us know what it is!

31 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

You're hardly going to see the issue with wingers if you don't use wingers are you mate.

If you read what I've said, you will see that I do indeed use wingers.

But just to be clear, what I wrote was:

"I do use wingers though, although again, they're not doing anything I wouldn't expect them to do."

1 hour ago, davehanson said:

Of which how many have posted in this thread or even logged a bug?

57 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

There is relatively small but very vocal subset of these forums who dislike the game. Their being loud does not mean they have the majority opinion. I am really enjoying the game, and the very positive reviews on steam suggests I am far from alone in that.

Not that I would vote for it as my game of the year, mind. I have loved Three Kingdoms: Total War this year. I have sank a lot of play time into that game.

Don't think they dislike the game as much as they are passionate and feel let down with the slow progress . Don't get passion and hate mixed up

1 hour ago, marcMCFC1986 said:

2 minutes ago, marcMCFC1986 said:

I just want to say, as the OP, that I absolutely love Football Manager - always have. There is a running joke amongst my friends that I go missing from November onwards when FM comes out.

However, I am gutted that this years is so unplayable, and they don't seem to want to even give us an estimate timeline for it to be fixed? Surely the manager at SI has given the devs a deadline - just let us know what it is!

SI have acknowledged issues and are investigating.  In the mean time you could post your tactical system and maybe someone might be able to offer alternative suggestions to help you out.  I'm not saying "it's your tactics" - far from it - however certain tactical styles and settings may have an impact on what you are seeing.  Now of course if you are trying to play in a certain style then possible solutions may be quite limited as they'd lead you further away from that style than you may wish, although there can sometimes be options which might be employed to help you retain that style.  Alternatively if you have no particular style in mind then further possibilities may present themselves.

2 minutes ago, warlock said:

Worthy of an even bigger eyeroll. The game has progressed enormously over the last ten years. 

Even a bigger bigger eye roll !!! Not to the potential it could have achieved . Hence all the bugs that are still present after 3 years or so 

Edited by prot651

Why shouldn't it be Game of the Year? What were other games that received the title on Steam or elsewhere? Were they perfect? How many hours did you log on those games?

FM20 and previous versions seem to be quite frequently in the top steam charts. Whatever the quirks are that someone may see, it is a fantastic simulation of football management. It is a game that gives you hours/days/weeks/years of enjoyment and a great return for your money spent. I don't know about others but none of my other games that I play come even close to the hours I play FM for.

Now as to the "match engine" "problems" that make this game "unplayable." I am sure there are things to improve. I am sure there is an effect that when you look for something or you are just a very detailed person, you will see these things and they annoy you. It probably can go as far as make it unplayable for you. They are working on it. If they aren't, then help them by giving them information so they can fix it. They are very open for that and want to do that.

As it looks like, there are constantly 10s of thousands of people playing and maybe a hundred? or less here complaining about it. So either, only few see it, or the ones that see it aren't logging it.

Whatever it is, and whatever you see, just share it and let them fix it.

Does this make the game not qualified to be Game of the Year? No. I think with all the hours played, all the enjoyment, and the excellent representation, it deserves to give it a run for it and perhaps win it. Why not? It is definitely not a "joke" to think it should be.

8 minutes ago, deaks500 said:

But how do you know what potential it could of achieved ?

That's a million dollar question !! Guessing because we live in the year 2019 / 20 and all these Technology companies are always sprouting how good there technology is and how great games are . Even Si say this game is so realistic ? But it isn't !!! I love the game but its not realistic as yet . DID I MENTION THE BUGS that still exist 

Edited by prot651

4 minutes ago, tyro said:

Why shouldn't it be Game of the Year? What were other games that received the title on Steam or elsewhere? Were they perfect? How many hours did you log on those games?

FM20 and previous versions seem to be quite frequently in the top steam charts. Whatever the quirks are that someone may see, it is a fantastic simulation of football management. It is a game that gives you hours/days/weeks/years of enjoyment and a great return for your money spent. I don't know about others but none of my other games that I play come even close to the hours I play FM for.

Now as to the "match engine" "problems" that make this game "unplayable." I am sure there are things to improve. I am sure there is an effect that when you look for something or you are just a very detailed person, you will see these things and they annoy you. It probably can go as far as make it unplayable for you. They are working on it. If they aren't, then help them by giving them information so they can fix it. They are very open for that and want to do that.

As it looks like, there are constantly 10s of thousands of people playing and maybe a hundred? or less here complaining about it. So either, only few see it, or the ones that see it aren't logging it.

Whatever it is, and whatever you see, just share it and let them fix it.

Does this make the game not qualified to be Game of the Year? No. I think with all the hours played, all the enjoyment, and the excellent representation, it deserves to give it a run for it and perhaps win it. Why not? It is definitely not a "joke" to think it should be.

Because its only been out 1 month ?  FM19 is the game hat should be considered after 12 months of use

4 minutes ago, prot651 said:

That's a million dollar question !! Guessing because we live in the year 2019 / 20 and all these Technology companies are always sprouting how good there technology is and how great games are . Even Si say this game is so realistic ? But it isn't !!! I love the game but its not realistic as yet . DID I MENTION THE BUGS that still exist 

Bugs exist in pretty much most games now no matter what tech is used in their creation. The most expensive and high tech game engine will still have bugs in them as developers try to push the boundries of the tech. They have acknowledged that there are some issues in the ME (although i haven't had a problem with it, i accept that it will bother some players more than others) and they are going to fix it

As for realistic, well i think that it is realistic as much as a video game can be, every year SI strive to make it even more so. FM20 is far more realistic then FM09, and i'm sure that FM30 will be far more realistic than FM20 . Until we are in VR version of FM where you are in a virtual dressing room, virtual dug out and speak directly to virtual team talks, everyone's idea of realism is gonna be different. 

So you  cant really say that its not improved and got more realistic over the last 10 years but you are correct that people shouldnt get passion and hate mixed up and im pretty sure that everyone on here and that play FM and those that make it just want it to be the best game it can be

42 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

If you read what I've said, you will see that I do indeed use wingers.

But just to be clear, what I wrote was:

"I do use wingers though, although again, they're not doing anything I wouldn't expect them to do."

I replied to the wrong person.

16 minutes ago, prot651 said:

Because its only been out 1 month ?  FM19 is the game hat should be considered after 12 months of use

But most games that go on these games of the year generally are played for about a month before people move on, single player ones anyway like a God Of War or RDR2 ect. There are games like FM which are played all year round by players, FIFA, COD and service type MMO games , maybe they should have their own catagory ?

26 minutes ago, prot651 said:

What are you considering to be not realistic? the match engine is my guess..

There is literally no simulation game out there that comes anywhere near to the realism this game has.. the gap is vast..  

The game is still in beta, why are you still talking about bugs that STILL exist? if you mean some issues that were in previous games and still are now.. whenever you bring out a new edition, the work essentially starts again to balance the game ( though I agree how frustrating it is to encounter the same issues again and again).