Sports Interactive Community
kevhamster

[FM20] Fort William FC - A mountain to climb

I've been offered a new contract, which includes a £25 per week payrise.  I've accepted.

TLTQe8U.png

March 2021

3nJqkvr.png

In terms of the league, this month was fantastic.

Against Keith, we recovered from being a goal down after 5 minutes, due to an own-goal when a clearance from a corner went about as wrong as it could possibly go.  We deserved to win.

The Clachnacuddin match was a bit closer than the scoreline suggests, but the win certainly was a fair result and came following a brilliant hat-trick from our top scorer Andrew Winter.

On the flip side, I was gutted we failed to get to the Highland League final.  We didn't deserve to lose against Keith, but it was one of those matches where we just couldn't get the ball in the back of the net despite having a number of decent chances.

This, combined with results elsewhere going very well for us, means we are two points clear at the top with two games left to play.  Our next match could very well decide the title, as we play 2nd placed Formantine Utd.  If we win, we will be Highland League champions.  We will still be in control with a draw.  A loss on the other hand puts them in the driving seat.  History isn't on our side though, as we've played them 4 times so far over the last two seasons and have lost 3 of those, drawing the other.

We just have to host that the respective recent form of both teams carries through - we've won 4 on the bounce, but they've only got one win in the last 5 games.

I'm actually nervous!

V5boeLN.png

I won Manager of the Month for March.  Usually, things fall apart after I get one of these awards.  I could really do with that not happening this time.

G1dL7IN.png

May 2021

RmNrH64.png

If I was allowed to swear on this board, the air would currently be bluer than the Scottish Saltire flag.

Given our shocking record against Formantine Utd, I'd not been too expectant going into the game.  They had the better of the first half, but it was goalless at half time.  We were the better team in the second half, and we even appeared to have them on the ropes, but they caught us on the break in stoppage time to register a vital goal and take the points.

This meant, going into the final game we were a point behind them, but due to our inferior goal difference we would have to win and hope they didn't.

And they didn't.  In fact, they lost 1-0.  But despite dominating the game against Nairn County, we couldn't get a goal.  This means, infuriatingly, we finish the season level on points with 1st place but lose out on the title on goal difference.  This means the season ends here for us, as only the league champions qualify for the playoff to try to win promotion to League Two.

iLCvXK1.png

12 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Aarrgghh what a way to blow it.

I know!  I sat in silence staring at my laptop for around 5 minutes, just couldn't believe it.

I decided the best thing then was to turn the game off for a bit.  And swear at it.

On 18/02/2020 at 09:25, kevhamster said:

I know!  I sat in silence staring at my laptop for around 5 minutes, just couldn't believe it.

I decided the best thing then was to turn the game off for a bit.  And swear at it.

I bet you swore a lot.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

So close Kev!

Giving this a follow and praying for you for next season.

I took Edinburgh United (I think, one of the Edinburgh anyways) up to League 2 from the lowest league above the Juniors in this database but then got distracted with the Champ Manager 03 database and deleted the file. tempting me to start up a new one reading this.

Forgot to ask, can we have  some pics of your formation and tactics please Kev?

I play with a Gegenpress as well but more of a 4-1-4-1 DM with high wingers playing as raumdeutars but been playing like this since release and tempted to go back to more of a 2 up top formation.

On 26/02/2020 at 12:37, metallimuse said:

Forgot to ask, can we have  some pics of your formation and tactics please Kev?#

I play with a Gegenpress as well but more of a 4-1-4-1 DM with high wingers playing as raumdeutars but been playing like this since release and tempted to go back to more of a 2 up top formation.

Sorry, not been ignoring you - I've just not been on the game or the board in all this time!  

This is the current main setup, although it is subject to change as things seem to be going a bit south since the last couple of updates so I'll need to see if I need to change things up.

7T4W7l5.png

Posted (edited)

August 2021

ZSaDVPt.png

A tough period for me as a manager, as over the summer I lost what I considered to be 3 of my 4 best players.  Goalkeeper Josh Donaldson, who admittedly was far too good for this level, was snapped up by Queens Park.  Midfielder Charlie Frew, who had basically been the team's engine room last season, moved to Stirling and striker Ryan Shanley  went to Dunfermline.  I've not been able to get a good keeper to replace Donaldson, so we're stuck with our reserve keeper from last season.

The league games haven't started well, although we're through to the semi-final of the North of Scotland Cup.

We were up against it when we played Aberdeen, as we found ourselves a man down after only 25 seconds thanks to left winger Jordan Morton making what can only be descried as a reckless challenge, earning himself a straight red.  We were down to 9 after 50 minutes with a further straight red.  3-0 was a lucky scoreline in truth.

We're rooted to the bottom currently, but at least we had a morale boosting heavy win over Fraserburgh to hopefully get us on the right track.

u9vdMkY.png

Edited by kevhamster

And I've just lost the other player I put in the best 4 category as Andrew Winter (my other decent striker) has gone to Forfar............ :mad::seagull:

September 2021

OPCmRjS.png

We started the month getting knocked out of the North of Scotland cup at the semi-final stage, the only upside being this is one competition we've met expectations in so far.

We then got mullered by Buckie Thistle in  a match where we created the better chances, but all of our halfway decent strikers being snapped up by SFL clubs has had a huge impact on our ability to score goals.

We had a friendly win (designed to hopefully get morale up a bit) sandwiched between two draws, both in games where our performance level had improved over previous games.

We're still very much at the wrong end of the table and I'm beginning to think that a top half finish is going to be a struggle this season.  The quality of player we've lost since the summer has so far proved impossible to replace, especially with the deals I'm able to offer players being well below what decent players are willing to accept.

iLp9KpI.png

Posted (edited)

October 2021

YlzUrOI.png

Well, we've managed to get a couple of wins on the board.  Frustratingly, we should be on 3 wins in the league. but Elgin scored two goals in stoppage time to get a point that they frankly didn't deserve.

We're out of the Scottish Cup as well.  We went 2-0 down against Albion, brought it back to 2-2. and then they scored two more go progress through to the 3rd round.

The win against Aberdeen Uni was pretty much what was expected, with this minor trophy being our only remaining shot at any silverware this season.

The month closed out with a close, but deserved win against Deveronvale.

League position is improved, but still needs to get better.  My job status is now "very insecure" so I'm going to assume that if we don't get through the next round of the Aberdeenshire shield, or if we have a poor month in the league in November, I'm probably going to get sacked.

nSkPNz0.png

Edited by kevhamster

And to make my life even more joyous, Keiran Campbell, the excellent right winger I snapped up after he was released by Queen of the South, has just been poached by Highland League rivals Nairn County.

It does feel like I just cannot hold on to the better players in the squad.  I can only offer non-contract terms at a max of £50 per appearance, where as most of my divisional rivals can offer a guaranteed weekly wage.  We can't compete with this.

On 23/03/2020 at 21:51, Nobby_McDonald said:

Life is tough at the Fort Kev.

Indeed!  I'm thinking we peaked in that second season.  Just can't replace the players I've lost with anything like the same quality.

tNbO9DE.png

I forgot to do an update at the end of November.  It's all kind of irrelevant now though, with the defeat to Keith being the last straw.  It had been coming for a while as we couldn't buy a win.

uzdGz0Q.png