Sports Interactive Community
kevhamster

[FM20] Fort William FC - A mountain to climb

I'll be making a more detailed writeup of this on my new FM blogsite, which is here: https://cluelessfc.blogspot.com/

Firstly, a big thanks to MozzaPlays  (https://twitter.com/MozzaPlays) for his Scottish pyramid database, which has made this save possible.  I intend for this to be a one-club save but who knows what may happen in the future.  I will be playing as my Scottish alter-ego Angus Connolly.  And I will be starting as perennial basement boys Fort William, who actually managed to end the 2018/19 season on -7 points.

aFOFiVG.png

I have loaded the entirety of Britain and Ireland (with a Welsh database extension down to their regional divisions, plus Iceland and the Faroe Islands), with the idea that loading these nations may possibly maximise the pool of players available to me.  A large database has been selected, with all players of the nationalities of the selected nations chosen.

xsihkbj.png

Expectations aren't too high, with the board expecting us to finish bottom.  The media however, expect us to finish 15th, which is third from bottom.  However, the squad is predictably poor and quite unbalanced:

IqEcHMM.png

We are overloaded with central midfielders, most of them useless (some are off-screen in the reserves squad) and somewhat lacking in wide players, with no left-backs or right-midfielders.  We also have no free wage budget, so the only options I will have are try to offload a bunch of players to make room in the budget, or play players out of position.  Exceeding the wage budget would appear to not be an option as staying within the wage budget is apparently a requirement.

I also have one player (again, in the reserves squad) called Iain MacIntyre who apparently is not available for club football until October, so he's currently using wage budget for nothing.  And I can't find any information as to why he's unavailable to be selected.

This could be a bumpy ride!

Edited by kevhamster

2019/20 - Preseason

I said in the previous post I'd need to try and offload some players and bring in some better ones, as well as diversifying the positions available to me.  Well, I've done that quite a lot and brought in quite a few.

CLneARk.png

Most of the outgoing players are on loan to other clubs, but are also out of contact at the end of the season, so they won't return, with the exception of of Mendyk who will have a further year on his contract.

Quite of the few players are non-contract, which means two things.  Aside from the fact any of these could get poached at any time, it also means I've increased the squad depth and strength considerably and am actually a fair bit under budget now.  I did take a bit of a shortcut, as although I've got a scout out these things take time.  I invited players on trial and kept the good ones.

The squad now looks like this:

tB3PeTy.png

Naturally, there were a few friendlies as well to get the fitness up.

QT8erVq.png

The inter-club friendly didn't really tell me much as I'd not signed anybody yet and the reserve team was made up of greys.

We managed to not utterly disgrace ourselves against Inverness CT (who all of our loanees come from due to an affiliation), and we did ok against lower rep opponents, aside from the Inverness Athletic game where neither team could seemingly be arsed.

August 2019

Vc0U6Ky.png

We started the season against two teams who were predicted to finish in the upper echelons of the league and one predicted to finish near the bottom.  The results reflected the predictions.

Brora are the prediction for 1st.  They took the lead within 5 minutes and we then had even more of a task in front of us when we found ourselves down to 10 men only 11 minutes into the match as our left-sided wing-back decided to earn himself a straight red card.  We didn't give up though, and managed an equaliser.  Brora then found themselves down to 10 men, and scored the winner after that.  Not the result we wanted to begin with, but a decent performance.

Then came Turriff, who decided to do a similar thing to us against Brora and get a red card within the first 15 minutes.  It was pretty much plain sailing from there, aside from one brief spell of pressure in the last 10 minutes.

Then came Buckie Thistle, and whilst the match was very close in terms of scoreline, we offered very little going forward and struggled to create any opportunities.

ICPnUr7.png

28 minutes ago, SRL88 said:

Good luck with this

Thanks!  Should be an interesting challenge.

September 2019

T3Vw7UE.png

A poor month in the league.  After these games, I decided the style of play I had settled on wasn't cutting it.  As you can probably imagine, the quality of player in this league isn't terrific, so I'd decided initially to very much go route one, so sit back and then hoof the ball upfield to the wingers or strikers and try to create chances that way.

In practice, this turned out to not be so clever.  Sitting so far back just invited pressure, and when we did win it back the hoofing wasn't terribly accurate and usually ended up with an immediate turnover back to the opposition.  So, we were struggling for possession and then doing sod all with it when we actually did get it.

So, for the cup game against Huntly, I decided to do something a little crazy and use the gegenpress style template, albeit keepting the 4-4-2 shape.  I figured if the opposition teams had a similar lack of composure to my lot, then the in-your-face pressing might actually mean we get better and turning over possession in our favour - and hopefully keeping the passing a little shorter may mean we actually pass to our own players rather than hitting it long straight to their centre backs!

And, against Huntly at least, this actually seemed to work!  Admittedly, they've not been very good this season either, but we played very well in both games and really should have won without needing a replay, but despite managing a good number of shots, most of them were very tame and the Huntly keeper didn't have too much trouble.

We managed a bit more quality in the replay though, and the win sees us through to the 2nd round.  Which also means we get £2,000.  Which is very welcome, as our finances aren't looking brilliant.

We face Lossiemouth in the 2nd round, so we do have a realistic chance of making the 3rd round.  I'm hoping we can make it to the 4th round and get an away tie at one of the top clubs, as we could do with the cash boost!

zNdXE8X.png

October 2019

7G0REyj.png

I'd call this solid, if unspectacular.

We were very unlucky to lose against Deveronvale.  Their goals were due to a howler from the keeper, who went to collect a corner and completely missed, giving their player an easy tap in and then a penalty.

We then managed to draw against Huntly in a match we should have won.

I then decided to slot a friendly in, to help with morale and to get to grips with the pressing system.

We then had an excellent win against Fraserburgh, who were 3rd before that game, and then managed a convincing win over Lossiemouth to progress to the Scottish Cup 3rd round.  We will face Stranraer of League One, so we will probably not progress beyond that - but getting to the 3rd round is beyond the board expectations so they're happy with it.  The prize money is also welcome and helps keep the club nearer the black than they would otherwise be.

Two further draws in the league.  We were the better side in both, but were actually very lucky in the game against Keith as they nearly nicked it with a counter attack near the end, but a brilliant save from our keeper put the ball on to the post and out to safety.  Plus, it was a rare clean sheet, which I will happily take.

The Nairn County match was a bit of a frustrating one, as their goal was gifted to them when one of our centre-backs attempted a frankly suicidal cross-field pass, from our 18-yard box, to our left back which was intercepted and then slotted home.

Still, we are at times playing something which resembles football and there is definite progress from where we were at the start of the season.

SlkmaLt.png

November 2019

Y2DDHPw.png

One thing you learn about the lower reaches of Scotland is that there are cup competitions, and quite a few of them.

Our first match of the month was the first round of the Highland League cup, where we did well to come back from 2-0 down.  We also played the last half of extra time with 10 men after getting a red card and made it to penalties which turned out to be a step too far for us.  The plus side to this is that it's not a competition I, or the board, overly care about at this point.

Next up was Rothes and this time it was us who let a 2-0 lead slip away.  But it was a very close match and both teams had chances to win, but a combination of wasteful shooting and two goalkeepers on fine form saw it end up level.

The Strathspey Thistle match was surprisingly exciting despite there being no goals.  Pretty much end to end, but both teams put on a solid defensive display.  And it's a clean sheet, which always gives me some satisfaction with how suspect our defence is.

Next up was a match I expected us to get mullered in.  It was goalless at the break, but when Stranraer took the lead with a cheeky back-header from a corner, I expected the floodgates to open.  Instead, my team decided to turn on the style and were rewarded with a couple of late goals.  I did decide to shut up shop after our 2nd goal, moving the wing-backs to full-backs, and moving one of the strikers back into midfield, and we held on to the 2-1.

Our reward for this is a home tie in the 4th round against Hibernian.  Would have been far better to get an away tie with the money that will bring in, as the chances of us find our way past Premier League opposition is virtually nil.  That said, I'd never imagined we'd progress this far, so anything from this point is a bonus really.

Last up for the month was an overdue league win against Clachnacuddin.  We should have scored more as we were all over them, but a win is a win and our unbeaten run in the league is now 7 games.  Whilst most of these are draws, I'm happy enough with the fact we're proving a tough side to beat which is the first piece of the puzzle at a club like this.

IEQFSk4.png

Edited by kevhamster

1 hour ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Not a bad start at all.

Thanks!  It's gone a lot better than I imagined it would at this point!

December 2019

Yx5qDVS.png

Another unbeaten month in the league, even more impressive given the last two games were against the top two,

Against Wick, we twice went a goal down in a mad 10 minute spell only to equalise almost immediately from the kick-off on both occasions.  We then managed a winner midway through the second half and held on to earn the three points.

We made hard work of beating struggling Lossiemouth, but we got there in the end with a clean sheet to boot.

Both the last two games were against the side who were top of the table at the start of the day.  Against Inverurie Locos, both teams had chances to win but the finishing on display was very much lacking.  On balance, we were probably quite lucky but our defence did a great job.

We actually took the lead against Brora, but they equalised with a fantastic counter attack and a great finish.  No complaints about the result.

We're solidly mid-table, which is a position I'd have happily taken.  We're also 11 games unbeaten in the league.  I have no idea how long we can keep this up, but I'm happy.

My main worry currently is the lack of goals coming from the strikers.  Sean McKenzie hasn't scored in quite a while, and Bailey White seems to have gone off the boil a bit after a red-hot start when I first drafted him into the team.

JLqwJL0.png

January 2020

wqnxqMt.png

The month began with a win against Turriff United, which was what we had expected.

Next up, our impressive unbeaten run in the league was ended by Formantine United.  Not nice to have the run ended, but given I'd not expected to see any such run in the first season I can't really have any complaints.

I had to be happy with the 2-2 draw against Buckie Thistle.   It's not a match I overly expected to get a result in, and we twice came back from a goal down to salvage a point.

We then had the big cup match against Hibs, which saw Claggan Park completely sold out.  We obviously did not expect to get any sort of result here, and we did well in all honesty to not lose by more.  We defended well overall, but ultimately the huge difference in quality was the deciding factor.

We finished up with a match where we again went behind early on, but turned things around to win 4-1, with left winger Ross Gunn scoring all of our goals for the first hat-trick I've seen as manager here,

The table is looking better than I'd have ever guessed at this point.  We're not going to trouble the title race, but we're doing well in my opinion.

JMIpVFY.png

February 2020

SlBTWTL.png

The epitome of a mixed month.  We took an early lead against Deveronvale, but they were in control for most of the game and took a deserved three points.

We then came up against Fraserburgh, who absolutely took us apart.  I was starting to wonder if maybe the decent form we'd been showing was about to come to an abrupt end and see us start to slide down to the lower reaches of the table.

However, we put in a much improved performance against Huntly, and all three goals came from the midfield bank of four.

At the start of the game against Keith, one place and one point separated us.  We were definitely the better side again, but Keith's defence was a lot more difficult to break down than Huntly's had been and it was a match we managed to edge.

Very happy to end up with 2 more wins and 2 more clean sheets.  The middle of the table is still quite close, but we're definitely doing better than I'd have imagined.

Ydlceqq.png

11 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Doing very well considering you're managing the Fort.

I didn't imagine we'd be as high in the league as we are.  I imagine this is the sort of form they dream of!

The lower reaches of Scotland are always so tricky to escape, and I thought the National League was bad. Still decent season so far.

10 minutes ago, andychar said:

The lower reaches of Scotland are always so tricky to escape, and I thought the National League was bad. Still decent season so far.

Absolutely - you have to win the league, then a 2-round playoff against the winner of the other league and then the bottom team of League Two, so promotion out the Highland/Lowland leagues is a tall order!

But yeah, I'm definitely happy with things so far.

Edited by kevhamster

Nice work. I have a 19-season save at Ross County, so I actually recognize some of these teams, which is pretty good since I live in Los Angeles. 

March 2020

67JYZ9p.png

An undefeated month, and in truth we were very unlucky to not get a perfect four wins.  We played very well in all 4 games and even came back from a goal down against Strathspey Thistle.  We had the better of the play against Rothes, but weren't able to find the breakthrough.

3 matches left to play this season, and we're sitting higher up than I'd have imagined.

qIYGFuO.png

April 2020

Wly6tda.png

We manage a second unbeaten month in a row to close off the season.

Before this month, I'd anticipated us doing well against Wick Academy and Lossiemouth with them being bottom of the league, but struggling against league champions Inverurie Locos.  It didn't quite work out as I'd imagined.  We laboured to the win against Wick, and then lost a late equaliser against Lossiemouth.

Last up was against Inverurie Locos, who had wrapped up the Highland League title by the time we played them.  However, we played them off the park in the second half after an evenly matched first half and thoroughly deserved the 4-0 win.

We end up in a very creditable 5th place, with the best goals scored record in the whole division.  However, we will have our work cut out to manage the same next season.  3 of my first choice backline were loanees, and Ross Gunn who has dazzled on the left wing was also a loanee.  Replacing them will  not be easy, but that's a worry for next season.  For now, we can look back on what has to be considered a successful first season.

lkGaIQg.png

2020/21 - Pre-season

Board expectation - Top half finish

Media Prediction - 6th

So, I needed to do a bit of a rebuild of the squad.  I had very little in the way of central defenders, on account of most of the ones I had last season being on loan from Inverness Caledonian Thistle.  Another gaping hole to fill was that of the left wing, where another loanee, Ross Gunn, had excelled last season.

However, despite all of the players I had being on non-contract terms, I still had to release some players due to the way the board factors their appearance fees into the budget, as they still have a cost to this even if it's not guaranteed money as such.

The list of released players is fairly large.  These are all players who had played very little part in the last season, or in the case of Bailey White, someone who had started promisingly but then faltered significantly.

hT6FKlb.png

Some players were poached by other clubs:

fRXtezA.png

It was a shame to lose Ross Fleming, as he was a fairly solid left-back, but the one which did sting was Daniel Farrell as he had been my first choice goalkeeper all season and had won us several points with his efforts in goal.  But we couldn't compete with what Brora offered him - he had a £50 appearance fee with us, which I couldn't increase and he's on a contract with Brora on a guaranteed £95 per week, so there's no comparison really.

Will Brady was a youth team player who had not featured in the first team at all, and Rafa Mendyk had been one of the players I'd bundled out on loan to cut from the wage bill, and when he came back he was nowhere near the level of the other players in the squad, so I needed him off the wage bill as he was the only player left on a guaranteed weekly wage and he wasn't going to feature in my plans at all.  Thankfully, there was a couple of clubs interested in his services so he has gone now.

Finally, the players who have come in.

1PjcD0B.png

I won't go into detail with them all as there's a lot, however the most notable is probably Roddy Kennedy who had been one of the players I'd had on loan from ICT last season,  Turns out they released him, and he was happy to join us again, which I was pleased with as he scored quite a few goals for us at the end of the last season.

Thomas Dempsie is a player who is capable of playing all across the midfield, however he has primarily been brought in to replace Ross Gunn.  The Assistant Manager doesn't rate him that highly, but he showed some flashes of real skill in the friendlies so I opted to sign him after he came in on trial.

Finally, the friendlies.

a9MlqvD.png

We won the matches we were supposed to (although I hadn't thought we'd beat Stranraer reserves quite as easily as we did.  I was also very impressed with how we played against ICT - they were expected to beat us comfortably, however we caused them plenty of problems and were actually quite unfortunate to lose.

14 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Very good first season Kev.

Thanks Nobby! 

August 2020

qG4Unee.png

Ok, so there's one match in July as well - but that wasn't pre-season and I thought an update with just a match from a minor cup competition would be a bit pointless.

As you can see, we drew Deveronvale in two separate cups, meaning three of our opening four games were against them - and none of them were losses, although I'd have preferred the league game to be a win!  I had to experiment a bit in the league game due to injuries, which meant we played in an unfamiliar 3-4-3 shape (due to most of the injuries being full-backs).  For another interesting point, our captain Charlie Mulgrew got himself sent off with a straight red against Hearts Reserves, and then once he'd served his suspension, saw red again for a second booking in the draw against Deveronvale.

Then, before his suspension was up ended up being signed by Dumbarton.  And whilst he's only ended up in their reserves, he is now on a guaranteed £120 per week compared to the £50 per match non-contract deal we were able to offer him so I guess from his perspective it was a no-brainer.  Not to mention, they're in League One.

We then scraped a win against Forres Mechanics, before being battered by Formartine United in the North of Scotland cup despite taking the lead twice.

We ended the month on a high with a demolition job against Buckie Thistle, in a match where Thomas Dempsie (who as I mentioned in the previous update is not rated very highly by the coaches) scoring a hat-trick and also getting an assist in, all from the left wing.

On another signing related note, Ross Gunn, who had been my top scorer last season, was released by Inverness CT in August as well, so although he is injured until late September, I did not hesitate to offer him a deal, which he has accepted.

We end the first month in the dizzy heights of 1st.  I'm not expecting us to stay there, but it's a nice place to be!

z9pYE5C.png

TG!! KUTGW!1! 

Sorry for the random gatecrash but been thinking about getting back to FM for the first time since FM13. Was wondering if it was Llama compatible still? The old sub forum has disappeared and a quick bit of cyber stalking brought up yourself and Nobby. I noticed you had a long absence as well kev. Is it easy to get back in to? 

Edited by Normthebarman

On 11/01/2020 at 21:59, Normthebarman said:

TG!! KUTGW!1! 

Sorry for the random gatecrash but been thinking about getting back to FM for the first time since FM13. Was wondering if it was Llama compatible still? The old sub forum has disappeared and a quick bit of cyber stalking brought up yourself and Nobby. I noticed you had a long absence as well kev. Is it easy to get back in to? 

Hey Norm, great to hear from you!  Yeah, FM19 was the first time I've really got into FM in a good few years.  I think my last long-term save prior to that was FM12.  I've bought all of them between except FM17, but I rarely played enough to even complete a full season as I was finding it harder and harder to enjoy.  FM19 was where it turned the corner for me and I've really been enjoying it.

I'd say it's easier than ever to get into now than it ever was, with the new tactics creator and stuff it's generally easier than it was to create a coherent tactic, at least I've found it to be in any case.

It is also still very much Llama compatible, although I'm using the custom database here which obviously would have been frowned upon in the old LLM forum!

I'd recommend going for the full version rather then Touch as well, due to the scouting side of it being more complete.

September 2020

eePivlq.png

This was a month where it seemed if you wanted to win, you'd better not score first.

We took the lead against Fraserburgh, who then turned it around to win to knock us out of the Aberdeenshire Cup. 

Then, we played Huntly who took an early lead and we turned it around and we got the win.

In the Brora match, it seems neither team wanted to win as we played out a bore draw.  Nothing else to say about this one.

And then we played Deveronvale again in a cup competition, having already faced them in the Aberdeenshire Cup and North of Scotland Cup.  This time however, was the big one - the Scottish Cup, where there's actual prize money for progressing.  They took the lead in the 3rd minute, but then we steamrollered them.  This was also Ross Gunn's first match since signing as he's now recovered from his injury.  He scored of course.  He should have also had a second, but it was registered as an own-goal even though as far as I could tell his shot was the last touch of the ball!  Never mind, no complaints about a very good win.

We will face East Kilbride, a Lowland League side, in the 2nd round.  It won't be plain sailing of course, but it does represent a good shot of progressing to the 3rd round.

gzsggOW.png

@kevhamster

hi there, can you explain for someone who is not very technical, and basically thick, how did you get these teams to appear in your game?

Id like to perhaps start a league as Berwick Rangers or Bonnyrigg Rose

Thank you

7 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

@kevhamster

hi there, can you explain for someone who is not very technical, and basically thick, how did you get these teams to appear in your game?

Id like to perhaps start a league as Berwick Rangers or Bonnyrigg Rose

Thank you

I downloaded the Scottish Pyramid database from MozzaPlays - https://twitter.com/MozzaPlays.

You can find it via the Steam Workshop (search Mozza in Steam Workshop), or you can download it here: https://t.co/ASQkfeNmpM?amp=1

You can also download updated squads for the Lowland League teams here: https://t.co/QHhM8Jo8Sq?amp=1

If you download manually, you'll need to place the files into the "editor data" folder, which if you're in Windows should be something like

documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2020/editor data

If there's no editor files folder in the FM 2020 directory, you'll need to create a new folder and give it the editor data name.

Once you've done this, start a new game and FM will automatically detect the new leagues and you can add them to your save, same as you would do for adding any of the default leagues to the game.  I recommend ensuring that the " do not add key staff" option is unticked and that the "add players to playable teams" box is ticked.

Also, this will not work in FM Touch as there is no editor available for it, and by extension no custom leagues so you will have to play the full FM game.

Edited by kevhamster

On 12/01/2020 at 22:36, kevhamster said:

Hey Norm, great to hear from you!  Yeah, FM19 was the first time I've really got into FM in a good few years.  I think my last long-term save prior to that was FM12.  I've bought all of them between except FM17, but I rarely played enough to even complete a full season as I was finding it harder and harder to enjoy.  FM19 was where it turned the corner for me and I've really been enjoying it.

I'd say it's easier than ever to get into now than it ever was, with the new tactics creator and stuff it's generally easier than it was to create a coherent tactic, at least I've found it to be in any case.

It is also still very much Llama compatible, although I'm using the custom database here which obviously would have been frowned upon in the old LLM forum!

I'd recommend going for the full version rather then Touch as well, due to the scouting side of it being more complete.

Cheers kev. I've given the demo a spin, looked like it could be an absolute time sink with the detail it goes in to, which is a good thing in my book. Decided to get it, currently downloading all the bells and whistles graphics wise. 

I'll do my best to play LLM, although I'm a bit unsure I could be classed as a proper Llama nowadays. Even though I stopped playing for ages, one of my mates kept at it. We occasionally discuss it drunk and he's imparted a bunch of tactical know how over the years regarding how the game engine works, how commands and attributes actually relate to the game etc that I'd never have thought of in a million years. Pretty sure that counts as tipping! Mind you, I was drunk for most of the chats, so a fair chance I've either forgotten most of it, or remembered it wrongly and make a mess of it. 

Edited by Normthebarman

9 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Cheers kev. I've given the demo a spin, looked like it could be an absolute time sink with the detail it goes in to, which is a good thing in my book. Decided to get it, currently downloading all the bells and whistles graphics wise. 

I'll do my best to play LLM, although I'm a bit unsure I could be classed as a proper Llama nowadays. Even though I stopped playing for ages, one of my mates kept at it. We occasionally discuss it drunk and he's imparted a bunch of tactical know how over the years regarding how the game engine works, how commands and attributes actually relate to the game etc that I'd never have thought of in a million years. Pretty sure that counts as tipping! Mind you, I was drunk for most of the chats, so a fair chance I've either forgotten most of it, or remembered it wrongly and make a mess of it. 

I could hardly be classed as a hardcore LLM these days either. One thing I learnt is there's nothing wrong with seeking advice, although I'd never download a tactic! 

Wotcha Norm.

Despite the LLM forum going, the game is more LLM friendly than it ever has been. Scouting is more restrictive at lower levels than ever before and you often find players aren't willing to relocate for part time contracts.

Granted, my FM18 save does have league expansions so it's not LLM in the pure form... but then the LLM forum doesn't exist any more. England goes to level 10 for me and both Scotland and Wales go down to the level below the lowest playable 'out of the box'.
Aside from loading up extra leagues, I still play the LLM way in all other ways.

1 hour ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Wotcha Norm.

Despite the LLM forum going, the game is more LLM friendly than it ever has been. Scouting is more restrictive at lower levels than ever before and you often find players aren't willing to relocate for part time contracts.

Granted, my FM18 save does have league expansions so it's not LLM in the pure form... but then the LLM forum doesn't exist any more. England goes to level 10 for me and both Scotland and Wales go down to the level below the lowest playable 'out of the box'.
Aside from loading up extra leagues, I still play the LLM way in all other ways.

Yeah, I remember you ducking out of the official LLM sub near the end of my playing days to use the lower leagues. I think with the amount of testing done on these leagues over the years, the trust issue of whether the data and long term saves are reliable has been resolved. I'll stick to vanilla for leagues though. Playing literal pub level football in the Scottish 6th tier or whatever it goes down to is a step too far for me! 

I have Scotland going down to tier 5 though I seriously doubt I'll manage there. Wales to tier 2, which I believe has been added to the 'out of the box' leagues for FM20.

4 minutes ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

I have Scotland going down to tier 5 though I seriously doubt I'll manage there. Wales to tier 2, which I believe has been added to the 'out of the box' leagues for FM20.

That's where I've started with Conwy Borough, in the Welsh 2nd. It was there or Lisburn in the NI 3rd tier. The Welsh 2nd has a higher rating but Conwy only got promoted this season so have a lower rep. 

October 2020

7yfQN1g.png

A very busy month sees us move on in the league, whilst also seeing our cup campaigns come to an end.

We end the month with our first league loss of the season.

As an aside, East Kilbride was the first match we played after I downloaded the beta patch.  None of the matches from here saw us play very well, so I'm wondering if the patch has rendered my tactics useless.  We'll have to see.

We remain top on goal difference.

wEUXCp6.png

Edited by kevhamster

November 2020

TIFnOWc.png

We managed to get some results on the board again after the struggles at the end of the last month.

All the matches this month were closely fought encounters, but we managed to grind out good results.

We came from a goal behind in the Highland League cup game against Huntly.

Against Formantine United, who were our nearest rival at kick-off, we didn't start well and conceded a goal in the first minute.  We managed to equalise in the 86th minute to get a deserved draw.

It seemed like a 3-way draw, but I've been awarded my first Manager of the Month award (I'm guessing on the strength of our league position):

wzKke0d.png

We remain 1st for now.

IlXu4Hk.png

First interview offer.

BGt6ArA.png

However, I won't be attending.

Aside from my intention to remain with the Fort, this would be a step down given Clydebank compete in the junior leagues and so makes no sense to remove myself from where I am currently.

Not to mention, the reasons listed for offering the interview sounds like the most backhanded compliment I've ever received.

So, thanks but no thanks Clydebank.

Work the Space has a YouTube series for FM20 where he tries to take Tow Law Town up the ladder. You might enjoy. Similar challenge.

11 hours ago, scott92507 said:

Work the Space has a YouTube series for FM20 where he tries to take Tow Law Town up the ladder. You might enjoy. Similar challenge.

I probably would, but I already struggle to keep up with the ones I already watch!!  Thanks for the recommendation though. 

December 2020

w67K7GX.png

This could best be described as a bit crap.

We were the better side against Nairn County, but forgot our shooting boots.  They took the points.

We then had a fortunate win against Clachnacuddin in the Highland League cup.  The game was very even, but we were looking like we'd crash out of the cup until we got a stoppage time equaliser.  We won 5-4 on penalties.

The stats would also suggest we should have battered Forres Mechanics.  They took their chances, we didn't.

We took the lead against Deveronvale in hilarious fashion:

But that was all the luck we managed there.

We did however manage some good fortune in our last game of the season as we came back from 2-0 down to record a 3-2 win against Buckie Thistle.

The month's poor league results however has seen us drop down to 3rd, which much work to do.

Pst8TuH.png

January 2021

LT83VtX.png

A much better month.

We started up with a 1-0 win against Huntly.  We dominated the match, but were wasteful in front of goal.

Next up was Brora.  A complete contrast to the Huntly game, as Brora (who were top at the time) were all over us.  We managed to go in front, but they pulled a goal back with 10 minutes to go to get a deserved point.

We then managed to win against Wick Academy.  Wick had the better of the stats, but we managed a win.

Strathspey Thistle turned us over, in a match where once again the team on the worse end of the stats won.

Last up we played Turriff Thistle.  We were back on top form here and took the lead with a magnificent goal.

We remain in 3rd.

Tv0Ik5z.png

18 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

December was a bit crap Kev.

Thankfully January was better.

Indeed it was!  It may have cost us a chance of winning the league, but we'll see.  

February 2021

qv35BR1.png

Another decent month, although the only match where we really played particularly well was the Lossiemouth match.

We took the lead against Fraserburgh with a penalty, and they equalised with 60 minutes gone. 

We managed to get the three points against Rothes, again scoring from the spot.  Only, this time the goal was in the 93rd minute so although we'd not been paricularly brilliant, Rothes didn't have enough time left to work at getting an equaliser.

Then we trounced stuggling Lossiemouth for a fully deserved three points.

We're back up to 2nd, two points behind Formantine United.  We're definitely in with a shout of topping the league, but we can't afford any more slipups.

1jg7yYL.png