Sports Interactive Community
stevemc

Issue with cast on video advertising boards & ball (Apple MacBook Pro & Catalina)

Hi,

I've got a problem with in game video adboards showing a green cast behind them, it's not every game, its sporadic and random. It's weird issue, on and off, can't figure out why it's doing it as it's not every game and say it happens in one game then I quit and reload, it might not happen on the reload. Bizarre...

1 TEST. Vanilla Version of the game

Q6CA14g.jpg

2 TEST. Custom Version of the game

I've also tried this will custom video adboards and some I made too, as a test, and it also does the same;

4Mdt3VY.jpg

qb27H1E.jpg

I've also noticed this on the ball too, occasionally showing this green colour cast on what would be a white ball. That green that shows is very close to the primary green in the FM game I think.

I'm on a 2019 MacBook Pro with no custom graphics installed and the game automatically selects my 3D Graphics Quality at HIGH (I've also tested this on LOW and it's still the same).

I presume this is a Apple Mac/Catalina issue as I can't see this anywhere else on the forum?

---------------

3 TEST. Complete reinstall of game from Steam

OK, I've completely uninstalled the game, re-started the MacBook and reinstalled FM2020, so it's completely vanilla and this issue is still happening, I think this might be more of a bigger Mac/Catalina problem, maybe?

This is my spec;

tZ38Eze.png

4 TEST. Turning off "Night-shift" in OS Catalina settings

I've also tried turning "Night-shift" off in the OS settings, as I've seen other Mac users have issues with it conflicting with some FM visual elements, but that's not worked either.

yRhRLEu.jpg

Anyone else come across this on their games?

Let me know if you need anymore information, or have any ideas on how I can sort this...

Edited by stevemc

I have the same exact issue on my 27" 5K iMac and 12" MacBook Retina.
It happens every few games. After a game with this issue, the following game is fine.
Think it's something Mac specific because I don't have this issue on my Windows laptop from work.

1 hour ago, Rivanov said:

I have the same exact issue on my 27" 5K iMac and 12" MacBook Retina.
It happens every few games. After a game with this issue, the following game is fine.
Think it's something Mac specific because I don't have this issue on my Windows laptop from work.

I've tested it on an older MacBook (2013) - which is my friends, and it seems to be ok - not noticed it on that (it's non-retina if that is a part of this issue possibly?).

Glad it's not just me then :D - Was fearing a hardware issue or something.

I also don't recall this on the Beta either.

Edited by stevemc

Hey, do you have a save game before one of these affected matches you can send us?

21 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

Hey, do you have a save game before one of these affected matches you can send us?

Yeah sure, how do I get it over to you?

@Jack Joyce I think I've figured it out, I've uploaded to your cloud service, file named; cast-on-video-advertising-boards-macbook-pro-catalina

FM version number 20.1.4

• When you load it up, the issue may not appear on the first 3D match, so cycle through a couple of games and it should/will randomly appear. It happens in every save so not sure how helpful it will be or if you can mirror it at your end on a mac. I'm wondering if it's anything Retina related.

I've also got the Mac .spx file if you also need that?

Let me know if you need anything else, and thanks for looking into this for me :thup:

Edited by stevemc

5 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

Thanks, we have this issue under review now

Cheers Jack - hopefully you can get to the bottom of it!

@Jack Joyce I've updated to 20.2 and ran some further tests but this issue is still there, rather disappointingly.

How did you get on with your testing, Jack?

Edited by stevemc

12 hours ago, stevemc said:

@Rivanov are you still having this issue after the update?

Didn't play a game yet with the new update. Will test tonight.

Edited by Rivanov

I play the game on MacBook Pro early 2015 with Catalina and I have had many problems with the performance. 

Finally I install on a partition the Mojave and the performance now is normal like FM19 and previous versions.

I think the problem with the performance is the macOS Catalina.

Just now, Par1s said:

I play the game on MacBook Pro early 2015 with Catalina and I have had many problems with the performance. 

Finally I install on a partition the Mojave and the performance now is normal like FM19 and previous versions.

I think the problem with the performance is the macOS Catalina.

Interesting to know, thanks!

I've racked my brains to try and figure out this problem, but still have not been able to. I agree that Catalina has and is causing issues in general, so it's possible this is related to that. I'm hoping SI will get to the root of the problem :thup:

With all due respect, you shouldn't have to install Mojave to a partition to run the game out of the box, that's quite a complicated process for someone who isn't too tech savvy.

Till now I’m not facing any problem with the partition and it’s very easy to do it. I’m not a tech freak. :) For now I’m happy because I can play my favorite game.

I tried this in "windowed mode", this still happens, but in game whilst in "windowed mode" if you switch to "full screen" the adboards come back to their normal colours (for around 5 seconds) before returning back to this issue. So strange.

I've been reading up, looks like there are a lot of issue with OS Catalina in general, and graphically there are a lot of other game forums reporting graphical issues on version 10.15.1 but people using the Beta version of 10.15.2  are reporting them to be fine. 

I'm betting this is a Mac OS / specific graphics card issue.

Edited by stevemc

Still this problem. Not every match.. but at least 50% of the time.

1 hour ago, Rivanov said:

Still this problem. Not every match.. but at least 50% of the time.

Yeah it’s every other match for me pretty much...

Our invesitigations so far seem to suggest it is a bug in the graphics driver as the data we provide seems to be fine, but the colour channels are getting flipped sometimes. Would be interesting if anyone verifies if 10.15.2 fixes it.

Still under investigation though, I believe we have some systems in house that reproduce it

1 hour ago, EdL said:

Our invesitigations so far seem to suggest it is a bug in the graphics driver as the data we provide seems to be fine, but the colour channels are getting flipped sometimes. Would be interesting if anyone verifies if 10.15.2 fixes it.

Still under investigation though, I believe we have some systems in house that reproduce it

That's great news that you think you can pin point the issue - I kind of thought that would be the case as it's not affecting all Mac users on Catalina, but my Mac is literally brand new so it's the latest graphics available.

Although it's still under investigation, I presume this would only be rectified if Catalina is updated? I presume Apple are aware of this as I've seen it mentioned on other gaming forums too?

If that is the issue then Apple would have to release an updater to fix it, yes, although that's not confirmed yet and I don't know if its on their radar, if 10.15.2 fixes then yes, but we've not got confirmation of that.

48 minutes ago, EdL said:

If that is the issue then Apple would have to release an updater to fix it, yes, although that's not confirmed yet and I don't know if its on their radar, if 10.15.2 fixes then yes, but we've not got confirmation of that.

Ok cool, cheers for keeping it in review, hopefully it gets resolved soon... (rumours the next Catalina update will be before Christmas). Let me know if there’s anything I can do at my end in completion of your review.

@EdL @Jack Joyce

So Apple released an update to Catalina today, to 10.15.2.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/10/apple-releases-macos-catalina-10-15-2/

I've installed this but the issue still remains there, so frustrating... What next?

Madness that this is a brand new Mac plus a brand new game, and it's doesn't show correctly.

Edited by stevemc

I've just tried this on FM19, and it's the same issue.

What's come out of the SI review?

I've contacted Apple regarding this too.

Edited by stevemc

Just tested again after the latest 20.0.3 hotfix today, still getting the same problems... 

Same.

Has there been any update on this issue since the 8th Dec?

Any further updates on this anyone? Heard nothing in a month now.

Thanks...

Should hopefully be fixed in the next update

6 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

Should hopefully be fixed in the next update

Fantastic news, Jack, thanks for the update :applause:

@Jack Joyce Is this fix in the Public Beta that's released, and if so do you want me to test it?

Just now, stevemc said:

@Jack Joyce Is this fix in the Public Beta that's released, and if so do you want me to test it?

The public beta is a very limited build with only specific fixes, unfortunately this fix won't be until the next one

7 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

The public beta is a very limited build with only specific fixes, unfortunately this fix won't be until the next one

OK no worries, let me know when it's included and I'll test it out :thup:

This seems to be fixed finally. Normally I had this issue every other game. But I played couple of games now and didn't had this issue. :applause:

@stevemc

Edited by Rivanov

I've played around 15 games on the latest patch and this looks to have been resolved, thanks for sorting out, much appreciated!