Sports Interactive Community
anthonyevans97

Defending is impossible, team not following instructions

Is it just me or are there serious issues with defending on FM20? I have been playing with Cove Rangers in Scotland who I have managed to get two promotions in three years with through the skin of my teeth. But I seem to concede goals in every single game no matter how I set my team up. The opposition seem to be able to just lob the ball over the top and score every single time even though I have my defensive line set extremely low. I also seem to concede a number of goals from set pieces, with my defenders making no attempt to prevent a shot at goal. Fullbacks are equally as bad, and do not seem to block any cross into the box at all.  In the rare occasion in which I have been able to win and keep a clean sheet, none of my defenders get a match rating over 6.5, even if I have won by a huge scoreline. Surely this isn't right?

Another issue I seem to be having is that my players are just not following instructions. I have instructed them to play out from the back, and every time my centre back receives a pass from the goalkeeper he just boots it anywhere. I know this is often harder to achieve with lesser quality players and teams, but this is another aspect of the match engine that I find flawed.

I have been an avid FM player for seven years now, and would like to think I know how to play the game, but if I am being honest I think the match engine this year is the worst one yet with the issues I mentioned above happening in almost every game. I really hope that the SI team work hard to patch this, as I know for a fact I am not alone in experiencing this.

Cheers

Anthony

On 30/11/2019 at 19:20, anthonyevans97 said:

The opposition seem to be able to just lob the ball over the top and score every single time even though I have my defensive line set extremely low.

I experience this too. The problem with setting a low defensive line, however, is you invite the opposition full backs into the game. I often make my AMR/AML or ML/MR man mark opposition respective DL/DR with tight marking which can do a lot of good with a low defensive line. You loose your ability to make quick counters through the wings and it's best against teams a lot stronger than yours.

Another thing that can help mitigate the 'lop over defence' is actually using a high defensive line with high and extreme pressing. The plan is to overwhelm the opposition so high up the field that long balls from the defence often doesn't reach their targets. Even though its a very aggressive formation, I often play this way with a cautious or defensive attitude and without counterpress after lost balls to prevent most of their counters.

On 30/11/2019 at 19:20, anthonyevans97 said:

I have instructed them to play out from the back, and every time my centre back receives a pass from the goalkeeper he just boots it anywhere.

I see this too. This is mostly a problem if the defence doesn't have viable passing options paired with low vision. My team play the ball relatively fine out of defence, but I concede a lot of weird goals from defenders making moronic short passes straight to opp. striker, so it goes both ways.

Have you tried playing out of defence with wingbacks, like a 5-3-2 or 5-1-2-1. If you want a defence that plays it proper out from the goalie pass you need to have good lateral options for them to circumvent the forthcoming attacking unit from opposition.

Hi, 

Thanks for getting in touch.

All those issues in your first paragraph are known issues and we are working hard to find a fix.

In future, please have a look if your issues have been raised previously on the forums. If they have not, please attach a PKM with examples regarding your issue.

Thanks

Jemal 

I have to agree with the OP. There is no setting i have not tried with team and individual instruction that works to get the team to defend against AI. One through ball and the defense does nothing to stop the ball, not in terms of heading the ball away or trying to catch the run away AI striker. Its as if they suddenly develop lead in their boots and don't bother to mark. Same with wing backs / full backs. They are always allowing the opposition wingers to use them as scape goats. There is no marking from them either and leave so much space for the AI to play with. Every year the problems keep growing bigger and bigger with each release of the game. I am seriously losing faith in Football Manager and it will take a HUGE SWORD OF DAMOCLES to land on my head before i part with my money to purchase FM 2021.

2 hours ago, hekaton266 said:

I have to agree with the OP. There is no setting i have not tried with team and individual instruction that works to get the team to defend against AI. One through ball and the defense does nothing to stop the ball, not in terms of heading the ball away or trying to catch the run away AI striker. Its as if they suddenly develop lead in their boots and don't bother to mark. Same with wing backs / full backs. They are always allowing the opposition wingers to use them as scape goats. There is no marking from them either and leave so much space for the AI to play with. Every year the problems keep growing bigger and bigger with each release of the game. I am seriously losing faith in Football Manager and it will take a HUGE SWORD OF DAMOCLES to land on my head before i part with my money to purchase FM 2021.

Post 20.2 update?

Same issue with defending since update yesterday. Over the top long balls are definitely OP right now.

Edited by Braincomplexa

Thanks for feeding back to us. If you upload some PKM's with examples of poor defending we can review them internally

Yep balls over the top of my defence even on balanced with much lower defensive line. My defence just isn't reacting and seems to be too far up the pitch. This is after 20.2