Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Toronto Blizzard

One Star Graphics and Choppy 3d match engine - Mac

Hello,

Like others on the forum I am experiencing blocky graphics and choppy gameplay in-match on my iMac, with a one-star graphics rating.

I have deleted my preferences and cache.  I tried setting the graphics quality to medium or high, and while the graphics are less blurry, the gameplay is very choppy.

My specs are:

High Sierra 10.13.6

3GHz Intel Core i5

8GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 555 2048MB

I posted almost this same thing about playing on my 27" iMac earlier this week, but never heard back from anyone at SI.

I stumbled upon a new clue today, which might help SI fix this. I'd also be interested if this same effect happens for you. 

I had the game in windowed mode (normally I play full screen), and during a 3D match while it was very pixelated and fuzzy I happened to re-size the window a little bit smaller and suddenly the graphics were super crisp and looked like they did on this same iMac with the last version of FM.

I did some experimenting and these are my results:

- Windowed mode, any size window of FM that is about 65% of my total screen or smaller and the graphics look great, just as they have for the last few version of FM. Sharp detail, runs smooth, etc.

- Anything over 70% of my total screen (doesn't seem to matter if I stretch it taller or wider) and it reverts back to fuzzy, blocky graphics. I can make it change back and forth in the middle of a match as many times as I resize it.

- I then went back to fullscreen mode and checked to make sure it was at my iMac's correct screen resolution of 2560x1440. Same as before, in fullscreen it is fuzzy and blocky.

- Also, the one star graphic quality rating stays the same throughout. And I have it on medium graphics the whole time. Those never change, but the actual graphics changes dramatically.

For now I'll play in windowed mode at about 65% of my total screen, but I sure would like to be able to play in fullscreen mode again. 

18 hours ago, django_z said:

I posted almost this same thing about playing on my 27" iMac earlier this week, but never heard back from anyone at SI.

I stumbled upon a new clue today, which might help SI fix this. I'd also be interested if this same effect happens for you. 

I had the game in windowed mode (normally I play full screen), and during a 3D match while it was very pixelated and fuzzy I happened to re-size the window a little bit smaller and suddenly the graphics were super crisp and looked like they did on this same iMac with the last version of FM.

I did some experimenting and these are my results:

- Windowed mode, any size window of FM that is about 65% of my total screen or smaller and the graphics look great, just as they have for the last few version of FM. Sharp detail, runs smooth, etc.

- Anything over 70% of my total screen (doesn't seem to matter if I stretch it taller or wider) and it reverts back to fuzzy, blocky graphics. I can make it change back and forth in the middle of a match as many times as I resize it.

- I then went back to fullscreen mode and checked to make sure it was at my iMac's correct screen resolution of 2560x1440. Same as before, in fullscreen it is fuzzy and blocky.

- Also, the one star graphic quality rating stays the same throughout. And I have it on medium graphics the whole time. Those never change, but the actual graphics changes dramatically.

For now I'll play in windowed mode at about 65% of my total screen, but I sure would like to be able to play in fullscreen mode again. 

Thanks for the suggestions, django_z.  Unfortunately, I didn't have the same success as you with making the window smaller - it was a little better, but still very choppy.

I'm not sure why neither us of have received responses from SI - I see all sorts of SI responses to other technical issues.

Thanks for trying it and reporting back.

If anyone from SI is reading this, I'd be happy to post some side by side screencaps of what I'm seeing. I think it might be helpful as you troubleshoot these issues. I'm also in the only getting 1 star camp for 3D graphics, though my computer can definitely be much more than 1 star. 

Please let me know if I can provide any more info. It's hard playing the game on only 65% of my screen.