I may have the worst mid-to-end season form of any FM player

Well, friends, it seems these demons are unrelenting. For the past two seasons, you'll notice my form just falls off a cliff. These pictures don't quite capture December and January, but it starts back there. One picture shows my current season and it looks like it's heading the same way.

What annoys me most is for the first three/four months, we do fairly well. Usually lurking around the play-offs or IN the play-offs, then December/January arrives and we tumble down from a solid 5th-8th position to a just-avoiding the drop position.

I try everything from small tweaks (as to not confuse the players too much) to a full-on change of tactics/formation but can never yield results. 

For those of you wondering how I've not been sacked, I've the 'Become Unsackable' option on. My friends and I all agreed to do a CAC save starting from the bottom, taking over the team predicted to finish bottom in the bottom league. We clear out all the staff and players, remove the history and build our way up. So, to get this far in and then be sacked would ruin the idea of the save.

Form 1.png

Form 2.png

Form 3.png

Edited by SMV90

What was your form like in the first half of the season?

What tends to happen is teams with low reps get underrated by the AI, and play really openly, which can be tactically countered with a high degree of success. Then what happens is the next time you meet the same team they are more cautious against you and therefore you find it harder to counter their tactics, especially if using the same tactic. 

This is often assumed to be the AI cracking your tactic, but it's actually more down to the AI showing you more respect. Tactic cracking is not and never has been a thing.

Edited by gunner86

Might have something to do with morale? Hard to do with the scheduling of League Two but try and slip in a friendly against a lower league local team. Play your full strength team, smash them by 5+ goals to bring the morale back up and results in the league should improve

10 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

What tends to happen is teams with low reps get underrated by the AI, and play really openly, which can be tactically countered with a high degree of success. Then what happens is the next time you meet the same team they are more cautious against you and therefore you find it harder to counter their tactics, especially if using the same tactic. 

And how can you counter this ifthe AI is parking the bus and preventing them to win 0-1 with 2 shots on goal?

First half of the season goes decent. For example, this current season, I was W7 D6 L5 before my bad form came knocking.

I know 7-6-5 isn’t amazing, but it was enough to have me pushing play-offs at the time.

Whilst it’s super annoying, isn’t this why we love FM? Trying to find ways out of these types of runs of forms. Waiting for someone to make themselves a hero! Maybe I could give one of my youths some games, they might be the catalyst needed to get results.

Edited by SMV90

I had a saison in the English league 6 with 17 defeats in a row in the second half of the saison.

My explanation for that:

1. What was written above: AI tooks a more cautious approach after I stormed the promotion range as relegation candidate in the first half of the saision

2. Fitness:  I put no emphasise on fitness and in the second half my team was down. This was increased by my tactic with strong pressing.

My solution:

More fitness training

Much more rotating

No or less pressing

2 hours ago, kuroske said:

And how can you counter this ifthe AI is parking the bus and preventing them to win 0-1 with 2 shots on goal?

For me I look to either draw them out by not pushing them too hard and then try and counter, or play for set pieces and try and get goals from corners.

At the end of the day, you need to find a way to counter what the AI is doing, and if you're coming up against teams that park the bus and then you get hit on the break, you need to set up to defend against counters.

14 hours ago, SMV90 said:

First half of the season goes decent. For example, this current season, I was W7 D6 L5 before my bad form came knocking.

I know 7-6-5 isn’t amazing, but it was enough to have me pushing play-offs at the time.

Whilst it’s super annoying, isn’t this why we love FM? Trying to find ways out of these types of runs of forms. Waiting for someone to make themselves a hero! Maybe I could give one of my youths some games, they might be the catalyst needed to get results.

I always, always believe that playing youth will get you out of a rut. 

This has just happened to me with my Man Utd save - League Champions 1st season (after a 34 match unbeaten run), 2nd season I was 3rd in the league 4pts off Liverpool and Arsenal who were unbeaten after 20 games.

Then in the last game on 30 December I lost 1-0 to Spurs and BOOM went the dynamite. Didn't win a game in January, out the cup in the 4th round, only won 5 of the remaining 17 league games (W5, D8 L4) and finished 4th 20 points off 1st. A team who would score for fun and tight at the back within 1 match went from profligate in front of goal and leaky defensively.

And it's continued into the 3rd season:

Liverpool - 2-0L, Spurs - 2-1L, Brighton - 3-0W, Aston Villa - 4-0W, Chelsea - 2-1L, Everton 3-0W, Zebre(!?!) 2-1L.

Next match is Man City away, have decided a loss there and it's resignation time.