Steam purchase vs DVD purchase

Hi!

Could someone explain to me what is the difference between buying FM through steam and buying the DVD and using the key to activate it on steam ? If we buy the game on DVD shouldn't we have the game installed on our laptop/PC ? And do we always need to be logged into steam account to be able to play it ?

Thank you!

It's basically just another way to buy it, it still uses Steam and requires you to log into Steam to play. It's not that different from buying the CD key from a site and putting that into Steam to activate the game.

Buy from Steam and the game files are downloaded.

DVD installs from Disc then log in to Steam to register the Key

Play in either on-line or offline mode (take Steam offline) and play as much as you like.

My game is installed on Laptop, I play it whenever and wherever, with or without internet - not sure how Steam can tell if I am logged in if I am not online.

Launch the game, if you are offline it will ask if you want to go online or to continue in Offline.

I usually leave Steam offline and play offline. Would only switch Steam 'back on' if there was an update or I needed the files verified.

5 hours ago, bitzu_rock said:

So basically the DVD only is not enough to play the game ? (besides the activation code via steam...it still downloads needed files to play the game ?)

No, even if you install from the DVD, some files need to be downloaded still.