Sports Interactive Community

There must be a bug with players missing penalties. My teams miss around 80% of all penalties! Playing with Juventus, Ronaldo has a penalty stat of 20, yet he always misses and has just missed 2 in the same match!

I'm finding this. Playing as Spurs, Kane has 20 for penalties (and on penalty training). In 3 seasons he has scored 9/14, 8/16 and 2/4 so far.

My last game went in a penalty shootout. The opposing team missed all the 5 penalties, while my team missed all but one. That was really hillarious to watch.

So far post update I've missed 1 out of 1 seems the same to me. It's either players hitting the post or going straight down the middle and keeper saving it, very strange players going middle when they have high penalty attributes unless it's a shoot out or late penalty (keepers nearly always dive for late pens).

@Jemal Wiseman

Edited by jere_d

Same here. With Rashford im getting 9/16 penalties scored. Thats close to 50% rate of scoring the penalty. Im running on the latest update btw.

I can report the same. My save is from during the beta launch, but as I understand it, the updates have been save game compatible.

I have Mbappe and Erling Haaland as my penaly shooters, and both are missing A LOT, and I have also tried with others like Rashford and Bruno Fernandes. Mbappe even missed 3 in one game last season. As far as I have checked over the last three seasons my overall converstion rate is well below 50 %. And btw. it's always the goalkeeper saving it. It's not because they aren't hitting the goal.

Same here. IRL the very best penalty takers score around 90%. In-game, it's 60% at best. Also, penalties seem to be missed/saved mostly in cup games, for some reason. Is there some code specifying that cup games are higher pressure or something?

My penalty takers are terrible, but so are the goalkeepers they face. Feels like 4/5 penalties are saved.

Edited by vgr

This should feel much better balanced post 20.2 update due to the overall number of penalties being lower.

We statisically have the same penalty conversion as real world top leagues so we will need PKM's if people are seeing too many being missed.

Hi everybody, 

I just stopped playing today and again the penalties are being missed too many times IMO

actually my team has missed a lot of them and I'm playing with Manchester United, so my penalty takers are pogba rashford and martial... Please fix this because it makes the game nearly unplayable due to the fact that then after missing the penalty we usually concede.. Thanks in advance for the effort you put in guys. 

On 11/12/2019 at 13:01, CJ Ramson said:

This should feel much better balanced post 20.2 update due to the overall number of penalties being lower.

We statisically have the same penalty conversion as real world top leagues so we will need PKM's if people are seeing too many being missed.

I've upgraded to latest patch at the start of this season, but still seem to be having issues. 4 penalties in the last 5 games, with 3 of them missed by a decent stat penalty taker in good goalscoring form (and two other top club penalty taker stats included also)

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

Brighton v Liverpool.pkm Liverpool v Crystal Palace.pkm Liverpool v West Brom.pkm Arsenal v Liverpool.pkm

On 11/12/2019 at 13:01, CJ Ramson said:

This sounds like a cop out, smaller sample size will hide the problem

1 hour ago, jere_d said:

This sounds like a cop out, smaller sample size will hide the problem

We use a sample size of 5000 matches.

1 minute ago, CJ Ramson said:

We use a sample size of 5000 matches.

I meant if players get less penalties then they see less misses.

Also find it baffling that for every league you use world averages to determine pen success rates (around 65%) when the prem pen success rates (over last 5 seasons) have been higher (+ 5 - 15%) per season. shouldn't higher leagues have higher success rates, due to the abilities of the players?

32 minutes ago, jere_d said:

I meant if players get less penalties then they see less misses.

Also find it baffling that for every league you use world averages to determine pen success rates (around 65%) when the prem pen success rates (over last 5 seasons) have been higher (+ 5 - 15%) per season. shouldn't higher leagues have higher success rates, due to the abilities of the players?

The conversion rate was never extremely high or low but the overall penalties being too high gave that impression. 

We use individual averages for every league. Leagues have different quality players however our conversion rates match each leagues stats which is why we are trying to look further into this issue. 

Last 20 penalties taken only one scored by my goalkeeper with Pen rating of 7. Players that have missed: Mostly Mbappe, Rashford, Pogba, Savic, Bruno Fernandes 

I've seen 11 penalties on my save so far, one in a friendly which was saved and 10 in a penalty shootout where 5 were scored and 5 were saved. So 5 out of 11 penalties have been scored so far and 6 out of 11 penalties have been saved.

Interestingly, out of the 11 penalties, not one penalty has missed the target so far, which I also think is unrealistic. A penalty can go over or wide surely, especially in penalty shootouts when defenders have to step up?

On 16/12/2019 at 19:04, CJ Ramson said:

The conversion rate was never extremely high or low but the overall penalties being too high gave that impression. 

We use individual averages for every league. Leagues have different quality players however our conversion rates match each leagues stats which is why we are trying to look further into this issue. 

So, the Penalty Taking attribute counts for nothing then?

My penalty taker is Hazard and he rarely misses irl yet in fm he has a 8/22 record so far with a penalty taking attribute of 19.

I can understand that players with lover stats miss more often, but players with 19-20 should have at least a 75% success rate and shouldn't be held back by individual averages for every league.

I thought this was just me, far too many missed penalties i am scoring well below 50%. This has to be a bug as it was not like this in the first few updates. 

Have SI acknowledged it?

Also for me, comparing Belotti (pen:15, composure:16, fin:17) to the rest of the league. This has been the same over all last seasons. So far I didnt see a difference over different FM versions. Always scoring less than 50%.

As can be seen, auto matches dont seem to suffer this problem.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-02 um 11.47.24.png

On 01/01/2020 at 08:30, TheMattB81 said:

I thought this was just me, far too many missed penalties i am scoring well below 50%. This has to be a bug as it was not like this in the first few updates. 

Have SI acknowledged it?

I started a new save and this appears to have resolved the issue of so many missed pens. My previous save was a couple of patches ago, but was using the latest database update. 

Since restarting my career save i am now scoring 70%+ (ish) of pens which is what i would expect. 

I normally don’t moan about things like this so I won’t be dramatic about it, but penalties do seem a bit ‘off’. As Spurs I have Kane (20 for penalties) and he’s under 50% conversion, which seems wrong. I totally get the research you’ve put into this, but that seems to a poor ratio for someone who is an elite PK taker based on stats. 

Just played a top of a table clash, I'm 1-0 up, win a penalty and what a surprise, the keeper saves it! The penalty ratio was just below 50/50 during the first few months of my season, but my save appears to have gone crazy, as my last 5 penalties have all been saved, either with my player bizarrely kicking it straight down the middle (this happens way too much), or the keeper guessing the right way.

My opponent is then gifted a penalty in the second half. I say gifted, because a low cross was hit into the box and my defender is stood next to their striker and puts no challenge in. The penalty was given because my defender was "holding" their striker apparently. No bother though, as they will miss their penalty too right...although they scored!

The game finished 1-1, my midfielder got sent off for a push when challenging for a header, how that's a sending off offence is beyond me!

I'm now restarting the game, as the game has ridiculously cheated me and I simply can't accept what just happened!

I understand that penalties does not always mean free goal but Harry Kane only able to score 2 OUT OF 7 (28%) penalties with 19 Finishing, 20 Penalty Taking, 18 Composure is just so ****ing bizarre and absurd. The lowest percent scored out of everyone in the league.

I have a solution!

Put player wiht low penalty taking to take them it fixes it. In EPL my AMC takes the penalties. He has penalty rating of 7 and so far he has scored 18 from 22 last 3 seasons. Before that my striker used to take them who had Penalty of 15 and he always missed. Dont let strikers take them cuz of the ME and CCS misses they just pass to goalkeepers..

Kane in my game I just checked he is 9 from 16 (wtf so much penalties) for Man City. So far he has scored 35 form 55 for 6 seasons. I mean its not that bad but considering he is penalty taking 20 its pretty bad..

High attribute penalty takers are very bad and avoid strikers...

Player in question. As you can see he has 6 for penalties

wuz9xP.jpg

5 from 6

YGeqFU.jpg

JSgpG5.jpg

5 from 5 

I have 2 more seasons 5 from 5 and 5 from 6

He is my favorite player so thats why he takes penalties. My striker used to miss all of them so I put him and he is doing amazing
I am looking at Hannibal Mejbri he takes them for United

He has scored 7 from 16 last 3 seasons and he has penalty taking 15

I think if you look at RAW stats you will see that penalties are being scored at normal rate probably is the best penalty takers are just not scoring them. For example I have 90% success rate with penalty taking attribute of 6 and this will help cover for Mejbiri and Kane misses so at the end my league will look fine

On 16/12/2019 at 20:04, CJ Ramson said:

As I stated in my post above I think the problem lies that players with higher attribute tend to miss much more then players with lower attribute. My best taker has missed 2 penalties from 20 and he has attribute of 6 while players with 15+ are missing more then him. 

it can be put down on luck but I have noticed a similar patter. Clearly something is wrong with how "great" strikers behave because I am pretty sure finishing does not matter right now.  I dont see difference between 10 and 18. Sometimes the 10 scores more then the rest.

Some really interesting points raised in this thread.

This is something we're trying to look further into, however our internal stats show nothing wrong for penalties awarded / converted so we really need examples.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb CJ Ramson:

What is his penalty taking attribute rating?

It is 13. It was just a random taker in the season after Belotti left. 
Btw, I started my game in the beta. It that is of any relevance.