Sports Interactive Community
Dathran

FM20 is running dangerously low on memory

Hi,

I'll just preface this forum post by saying that I've already browsed Google for a good hour now trying out resolutions for FM18, FM19 and even the most recent ones for FM20 such as, deleting the cache/preferences folder, enabling virtual memory, disabling skins - none of this works and I even made a brand new save to make sure my game wasn't corrupted although the same issue occurs even on a brand new game.

This crash happens when I'm about to go into a game, when on the choosing team screen - I can't past this screen on any save.

Screenshot before a game (can't seem to get the game in the picture of this screenshot):

1.thumb.png.c6fcf86e170b74d585c927601d3be84e.png

Screenshot when loading (this happens SOMETIMES, the screenshot above happens all the time meaning I can't play):

2.thumb.png.8305aa6ea03ac202e132b55b0906b3b4.png

Memory usage at the time is around 31%-40% - I have 8GB of RAM.

Okay, as a starting point please post your DxDiag and we'll take a look. Details here - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2020/238_how-to/241_pc/how-to-find-my-system-dxdiag-r844/

Also when this message appears in game, if you open 'Task Manager', what does it show under 'More Details' for the memory processes for FM? 

Thanks.

Any updates on this? I'm getting the exact same thing. I have a pretty high spec PC including 16gb RAM, and when I get the crash (which comes immediately after the memory dangerously low warning), my memory usage is running at around 40%

We have just released a new update 20.2.0. Can you see if this is still happening on the latest version, please?

Let us know how you get on, please. Thanks.

On 03/12/2019 at 16:38, Jimmy Wong said:

We have just released a new update 20.2.0. Can you see if this is still happening on the latest version, please?

I didn't have this issue until the 20.2.0 patch now my game is coming up with this error when I go into a game

On 03/12/2019 at 17:38, Jimmy Wong said:

Im still getting the Error after the Patch, and its  so annoying i have done everything i have 16gb everything is working... pls fix this, <3

Just to confirm is this happening on 20.2.1? 

If it is, if you're running any custom graphics/logos/skins or any other add-ons, try removing them for the time-being and see if you still have the same issue.

If you do, if you change your virtual memory does this stop the issue occurring? Details on how to do this here - https://www.pcworld.com/article/2840886/if-windows-virtual-memory-is-too-low-you-can-increase-it-but-there-are-trade-offs.html

6 hours ago, Jimmy Wong said:

Can you check if your virtual memory is above the recommend level, please?

For more info please click on the link below:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/how-to-increase-virtual-memory-in-windows-10-a/46dacaf5-15cf-4f5d-9d5a-cba1401ae4c9?auth=1

Hello, i have the same problem. My vurtual memory is way higher than my recommended. What do i do. I just got a new laptop and its crashing all the time. 

18 hours ago, Sergios9 said:

Hello, i have the same problem. My vurtual memory is way higher than my recommended. What do i do. I just got a new laptop and its crashing all the time. 

Have you tried the instruction from this FAQ already? 

On 31/12/2019 at 12:33, Jimmy Wong said:

Have you tried the instruction from this FAQ already? 

Ill try it. Thank you

I get the exact same problem when entering games. I have updated Nvidia Drivers, have tried to delete cache and preference folders, and nothing seems to help. How will you be able to assist me?

8 hours ago, Thomsen.Mads89 said:

I get the exact same problem when entering games. I have updated Nvidia Drivers, have tried to delete cache and preference folders, and nothing seems to help. How will you be able to assist me?

Hi, we would suggest you to try all of the methods from this thread, and if it doesn't help you then can you create a new thread, please? Thanks.

Hi,

I've just try every solutions of this thread and unfortunately, my game is still crashing when I'm going into a match.

I really don't understand why, this problem didn't happen to me in 10 years of game, and I didn't encouter this issue when I play on my Macbook Air, which is way less performing than my Desk computer (in which I have these crash).

If you have any other solution I will take it.

As Jimmy said, if you've tried everything and it hasn't fixed the issue, could you please start your own thread. 

If it is fixing it for some and not for others, the issue could be slightly different to the original, and so we will need an individual thread to keep track of what solutions we suggest.

Just replying to my thread here as it's been a while. I literally did nothing and one day it just started working again with no issues. Not sure if a patch was downloaded (this is probably the fix for me), no upgrade to my computer or settings were changed. The game just decided to work randomly.

I would still put this down to Sports Interactive's issue though as no other games/executables have ever given me this error.

I'm glad it's fixed. 

And yeah, you aren't alone with the issue, so I wouldn't worry about your PC being the issue. 

I'd imagine you're right and it was the patch that fixed it, sorry again you had the issue in the first place. 

I have been having this issue on my pc, works fine on my laptop but everytime i go in to a match it crashes with same messages as above.

Can you create your own thread, hyrule, and let me know what methods you've tried to fix it.

It'll be easier to keep track of the issue.

Everything was working fine but today I start getting this error. Any solutions?

Thank you

I was using OPZ Elite 2020 skin available on FMScout, it's a skin that consume more resources than native skins. I put back Football Manager Dark skin to see if work fine.

I notice a difference so far, with OPZ Elite skin when the out memory error happen Football Manager instance was consuming around 1450mb of memory. With Football Manager Dark skin during match play Football Manager instance only consume around 1320mb and worked fine on one match I had played. Might be a skin resources consume issue that breaks application instance windows max memory allocation

Even after change to native skin the low memory error happened again. That's the only save I had played, for 100h I played it without any memory problems

Have you tried the native skin while removing the custom add-ons entirely from the Sports Interactive folder?

After removing them, it may be worth deleting your cache and preferences too:

I just checked that Windows had page file disabled. It's enabled now let's see if is enough to fix

Okay no problem - let me know how you get on.