Sports Interactive Community
Andreas Akritas

Game Crashes at Start up - I get a Black Screen for 2-3 Seconds and then it goes back to Steam

Hello,

I am having problems with FM2020. It crashes at start up. All I see is a black screen and the it goes back to Steam.

I tried the following after some guidance from the FM2020 support but no luck:

1. Deleted Cache and Preferences folder

2. I got the latest NVIDIA drivers.

3. I have sent them my DXDIAG and MSINFO32 as requested.

4. I have added lines in the lauch control (- --no_exclusive_fullscreen) and (--config very_low)

None of the above worked. They all result in an immediate crash.

Any ideas? All my other games work fine.

I had exactly the same problem with FM2018 and they told me to add this: -renderer_direct3D9

And it worked. But it will not work with FM2020. But when i add the above line, it will not crash! it will go all the way to show me the cursor and then stay in a black screen. 

I am attaching an image of that (AFTER I ADD THE -renderer_direct3D9 line).

I can only close it by the TASK MANAGER when it stays on the black screen.

Thank you.

PS: I have been trying to play this game for 2 weeks :(

Screenshot_2.png

Would be worth doing as suggested above to see if there's some kind of permissions issue related to that account. Let us know either way, thanks. 

It is worth a try to install the game in the default location.

Let us know how you get on, please. Thanks.

Yes, those were the very first steps I did. Still nothing by the way. I installed FM2020 touch as well. Exactly the same.

Edited by Andreas Akritas

Could you try and reproduce this issue on the latest update (20.2) which was just rolled out on Steam. 

If it still crashes let us know.

Thanks. 

Same problem here, I believe since latest hotfix was auto-installed. What worked for me was to uninstall and reinstall the game, but I have to do this every time I want to play the game... Please, fix the hotfix or roll it back!

Are you using Aorus graphics engine, and if so can you turn it off (Similarly with MSI Burner), please?

We would also suggest you to change the setting of your graphics card driver back to default settings (i.e no overclocking)

To confirm have you removed the command line -renderer_direct3D9 line now? 

Let us know how you get on, please. Thanks.

Maybe it has something to do with the following .NET Frameworks which got installed on the same day my problem started (together with the hotfix auto-installed):

image.thumb.png.9f74ac255a0b28c5fb9c8e051b8f776d.png

Not sure if we have ask you this already, but do you have anti-virus? and if so can you make sure FM20 and Steam are both on the exception list, please? We would suggest you to completely remove the anti-virus (backup the key and turn on Windows firewall) as it can still interfere with the game.

Thanks.

9 hours ago, Jimmy Wong said:

Not sure if we have ask you this already, but do you have anti-virus? and if so can you make sure FM20 and Steam are both on the exception list, please? We would suggest you to completely remove the anti-virus (backup the key and turn on Windows firewall) as it can still interfere with the game.

Thanks.

Hello, No Antivirus. Just windows defender. 

Does Glary Utilities cause a problem? not really an Antivirus.

Edited by Andreas Akritas

Just to confirm, did you try creating a new Windows user account on your system and trying the game through that?

10 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Just to confirm, did you try creating a new Windows user account on your system and trying the game through that?

Yes, 2 new accounts. None worked.

On 24/12/2019 at 01:07, Dotolomeu said:

I have the same problem here!

To confirm, does your game turn to a black screen and then it crashes?

If so can you attach your Dxdiag and also send us your Belarc report, please?

If the above description do not match your issue, can you create a new thread so we can help you out over there, please?

Thanks.

6 hours ago, Highlandcutty said:

I have the exact same problem, got the game today, got it from GAME as a disk, installed through steam, press play, black screen for 2-3 seconds then closes down. I dont understand half the things people have suggested in this forum nor do I think most of the player base would, so unless I can get some decent instructions, I wont be able to try most of the above.

Hi Buddy, I have sent so many diagnostic files to them to check but they are still trying to make it work. I am in the dark here as well since the release. So disappointing :( 

14 hours ago, Andreas Akritas said:

Hi Buddy, I have sent so many diagnostic files to them to check but they are still trying to make it work. I am in the dark here as well since the release. So disappointing :( 

Just to confirm, are you trying to run the game through a TV or a monitor? Or have you tried both? 

On 30/12/2019 at 16:40, Neil Brock said:

Just to confirm, are you trying to run the game through a TV or a monitor? Or have you tried both? 

My setup for the past 5 years has been my PC directly connected to a 4K TV. I did not try it elsewhere. 

As a test can you try adjusting the the resolution of your 4K TV and see if FM20 can be launch fine, please?

On 03/01/2020 at 17:54, Jimmy Wong said:

As a test can you try adjusting the the resolution of your 4K TV and see if FM20 can be launch fine, please?

Adjusting it to what?

What resolution options does your tv have? It'll be worth cycling through them all and seeing if any one in particular makes a positive difference. 

13 hours ago, Kyle Brown said:

What resolution options does your tv have? It'll be worth cycling through them all and seeing if any one in particular makes a positive difference. 

It can do all resolutions just like a PC Monitor. I cycled everything. No go. 

Have you got any custom graphics in the graphics folder? If so can you remove them, please?