Sports Interactive Community
RDF Tactics

FM20 The 4123 DM Asymmetric: 115points in the Championship, the right way

The Intro:

Huddersfield Town: predicted to finished 7th

i created this save/test by choosing a Championship team using the random tool. it gave me Huddersfield Town. i made 0 signings, only one RB in on loan in Jan as i had no full backs

let's start by having a look at the system. this was designed/originated from the 424. my aim was to control the ball as much as possible whilst being effective attacking. i didn't want tiki taka as it's too slow, neither did i want very direct football. in order to control the ball more than the opponent, we need to have the ball! so a lot of closing down from everyone.

The 4123 DM Asymmetric

20191125185011_1.thumb.jpg.f0a8b929ab621d617200f8beb9bae06d.jpg

RDF tactic Positive 4-1-2-3 DM Asymmetric AM (L) .fmf

TIs:

Approach play:

Mentality (Don't tweak) : set to Control. to control the game and not have players rushing forward too quickly, too soon

Shorter passing (can tweak according to opposition): the aim is to, and importantly, retain possession. can be set to standard against weaker opposition

Pass into space (Don't tweak): expecting you'll have pacey wide players and attackers, great tool to get the ball in front of them instead to their feet, causes danger. also great counter attacking tool

Play out of defence (Don't tweak): again, we want the ball as much as possible, can cause mistakes with poor defenders, but we are not design to kick the ball long from deep

Whipped cross (can tweak): this is set because of my pacey strikers, and incoming players like my wingers and b2b mid. causes mayhem when crosses are whipped and can get the 2nd ball

Run at defence (Don't tweak): this instructs our attacking players to use their dribbling and flair skills. we want to control the ball, but also utilise our fast players for the counter

Fairly narrow (can tweak): this can be tweaked to "fairly wide" against weaker opposition. this instructs our players to use our middle men more, gives time for our wide players to move into space

In Transition:

(Team needs to have high teamwork, work rate, determination, stamina, anticipation and decisions)

Counter-press (Don't tweak): instructs my players to try and gain possession when not in possession

Counter (Don't tweak): instructs players to getting into attacking positions when possession is won

Distribute quickly (can tweak): i just prefer to use this, i can help set up attacking play. but can be a risk play away, specially against big teams

Distribute to full backs (can tweak): again, i just prefer this. my full backs are more comfortable with the ball to their feet than my CBs (i was Huddersfield)

Out Of Possession:

(Defenders need to be fast, good agility and have good marking and positioning)

Very high DL (Don't tweak): we need our players high as possible to reduce space for our opponents so we can win the ball back as quick as we can

Very high LoE (Don't tweak): same reason for DL

Extremely urgent (Don't tweak): again, same reason

Narrow (Don't tweak): instructs team to focus on getting players in the middle when defending

Get stuck in! (can tweak): this is so we can be forceful in tackles but gets a lot of yellow card. Hint. against big teams away, i take this off as my players dive in too soon

The Roles:

GK/sweeper keeper: needs to be a good solid keeper. a shot stopper preferred, as you can concede a lot of shots

Full backs: need to be pacey. having good attacking attributes such as crossing, technique as they'll be involved in attacks. marking, positioning and decisions all important

CBs: need to be good defenders, both in the air and on the floor. needs to be fast as offside trap and high line is being used

DM/playmaker: the motor of your team, he controls play from deep and protects your defence. good playmaking skills and positioning/agility are important

CM/box to box: needs to be a good all round midfielder, good physical stats needed to be up and down the pitch, also good shooting attributes.

RM/inverted winger: unsung hero. he works a lot and is important. needs to be good at creating (passing and crossing) and also a good dribbler

LW/inside forward: almost plays as a 3rd striker, he will score a lot of goals if correct player in position. he's the greedy player

ST/the pair: Poacher will need good anticipation, off the ball and finishing. he is never involved in the build up play. PF, he works hard for your attacking players, and makes space. he needs good teamwork, work rate, physical skills and off the ball

Training: (schedule may be uploaded soon once played of full FM, not FMT)

Individual training:

GK: goalkeeper (defend)

CBs: Ball-playing defender defend (set because we play out of defence, i want defenders improving ball skills too)

FBS: Full backs support

CMs/DMs: ball-winning midfielder support (set to suit tactic, they need to be closing down and act like ball winning midfielders first, in theory)

Wingers: set to roles and duties set in tactic

STs: Pressing forward support (shooting as additional training)

Results:

this is before season ended. 4 games left and won the league comfortably first season with no signings.

115 POINTS!

20191125195522_1.thumb.jpg.bb9c20fdb1c58e07ec29b86b1b52b7f2.jpg

My team lost to Middlesbrough away (who were 2nd) and then went on a 16 game unbeaten run!

20191125184208_1.thumb.jpg.52d1d8f48ecc6399eb34be9e7faac11a.jpg20191125184236_1.thumb.jpg.a27e846b7eac2dfe67b524d6ab0680e0.jpg

My results before the Middlesbrough game

20191125194704_1.thumb.jpg.b5c2a3315525e004407778dcdfe35214.jpg

The Key Players:

Isaac Mbenza: my inside forward. top goalscorer

20191125195138_1.thumb.jpg.872550cbb43f03cd27b09379e66bfa2e.jpg

Alex Pritchard: my inverted winger. top assists. also scored 10 goals

20191125195150_1.thumb.jpg.fb38468d269cfceed8266a71b9056baf.jpg

team performance: as you can see, goals were scored many different ways, very hard for opponent to defend!

20191125195704_1.thumb.jpg.f9d1c9f09aa2652a13ebf0030de07d72.jpg

20191125195222_1.thumb.jpg.60939334e7d69dd293555773b7fdddb7.jpg

Other screenshots:

20191125195621_1.thumb.jpg.11a68ebb0096bce1a94e310e335a6abe.jpg20191125195624_1.thumb.jpg.12c5143ab795026e631bfadf1d7c324d.jpg

Key:

- have a big squad with decent players who can play with this system. i made 0 signings so games i can see the struggle, not having good back up players. back up players performed poorly

- NO set piece routine set up. i added the routine from FM19, but it was too prone to the counter attack so put it back to default.

- if somebody would like to create a shut up shop tactic, that'll be great for users. i hate going defensively and play the same way for the whole game. it has cost me at times though.

Edited by RDF Tactics

Just tried this as team semi familiar with it due to playing Andy's 442 and it didn't very well beating Arsenal 1-0, so great work!  Quick question: is your IW (MR) a left footer or a right footer?  Also, would you advise that your best goal scorer be placed in the SCL or SCR slot? Thanks!

Edited by Law_Man

18 hours ago, Law_Man said:

Just tried this as team semi familiar with it due to playing Andy's 442 and it didn't very well beating Arsenal 1-0, so great work!  Quick question: is your IW (MR) a left footer or a right footer?  Also, would you advise that your best goal scorer be placed in the SCL or SCR slot? Thanks!

well, my poacher started scoring lots of goals at the beginning, then my pressing forward decided to score goals later on in the season so i don't actually know haha i selected them by where they're best suited 

Good post, mate. Gave this a go in my Newcastle save.

First thing I noticed is an extreme increase in number of yellow cards. 21 total in first three games, which is a lot. No reds though, thankfully. Have you noticed this also?

Second thing I wanted to ask is about your reasoning for setting cross aim to near post for all wide players. What's your thinking here? Crossing hasn't really proved effective so far, so might try changing things a bit there, unless you have a really good reason for the current setup.

Otherwise I'm seeing some really good things in the build-up play. Fast transitions with nice quick short passes to my pacey wide players. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Ok, so I've played the first half of the season with Newcastle United and things are going very well. Sitting in third place in the table and managed to pull off some good results against the top teams.

Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.6025bb37390057a9ca1467e748b4f7fd.jpg

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.56b5bdeac0b5b2c9d9db3b718cb609f2.jpg

I've also developed a more cautious version of the tactic for use against the best teams. I used in the away matches against City, Arsenal and Leicester, as well as the home matches against City and Liverpool. Didn't win them all, but those are still very decent results.

This is how the adjusted tactic looks:

Untitled-3.thumb.jpg.c9a185d2020fda83f6bc86b51e7e0d36.jpg

And here it is, for those who want to try it out:

FM20 TAF 4-4-2 Slanted Left Counter.fmf

Once again, thanks to the OP. The original tactic is an excellent jumping-off point, and I imagine it could fit most teams with some minor adjustments.

Unbelievable tactic m8.
I just ended my 3rd season with Hertha BSC, unbeaten...

I was copying your corner-setup from your previous tactic and it worked quite well.
Thx buddy and have a nice evening@all. :)

20191204152216_1.jpg

20191204152254_1.jpg

11 minutes ago, Nebuuu said:

Unbelievable tactic m8.
I just ended my 3rd season with Hertha BSC, unbeaten...

I was copying your corner-setup from your previous tactic and it worked quite well.
Thx buddy and have a nice evening@all. :)

20191204152216_1.jpg

20191204152254_1.jpg

Can you link that corner-setup ;)

Just started out with Leeds United and seems to be going pretty well. Dropped the 2nd striker back to a CAM similar to @killerkoala, which seems to be more effective. 

Will report back with my findings when I get to January.

sorry people. i have been away. i'm a new father and we took a short break away to Poland.

will be looking to update or create new tactics very soon! most certainly before the new year and hopefully within the coming days!

trying this out with my Norwich save and been getting battered by the big teams lol and struggling to beat similar teams ....cant anyone assist with getting better results? 

i'm having fun with this tactic 3rd in second season on my Stuttgart save, just need to find a good corner setup to get it even better. Nice work @RDF Tactics

Edited by Mawka

9 hours ago, MrSwiss876 said:

trying this out with my Norwich save and been getting battered by the big teams lol and struggling to beat similar teams ....cant anyone assist with getting better results? 

i had a similar issue with playing against big teams. i wasn't conceding a lot of chances, big teams tend to be very clinical against me :( i could easily lose 4-1, but have the better chances.

bare in mind, this was made on a older patch. i've yet to upload a tactic on here for the latest, just uploaded one on FM base, may upload it here later 

1 hour ago, Mawka said:

i'm having fun with this tactic 3rd in second season on my Stuttgart save, just need to find a good corner setup to get it even better. Nice work @RDF Tactics

yes! this tactic seems strong when you're in a few years for some odd reason. maybe because you're players ability are higher? i'm not actually sure lol. but i was in the 3rd season, i was using another tactic of mine, but then switched to this and was beating teams with ease

8 hours ago, RDF Tactics said:

i had a similar issue with playing against big teams. i wasn't conceding a lot of chances, big teams tend to be very clinical against me :( i could easily lose 4-1, but have the better chances.

bare in mind, this was made on a older patch. i've yet to upload a tactic on here for the latest, just uploaded one on FM base, may upload it here later 

ooo right....didnt even realize lol....because i been losing some easy games too..... and against City and United.... lose 7-4 and 4-0 LOL ..... hope you get a chance to update it tho....i like the layout 

Solid tactic, even if it's not updated. Im in my first season with Norwegian side Molde and have had a great season so far. It is one of the best squads in the league but still, getting some good results in EL too. Had to go through 4 rounds to qualify to the group stage lol, but im now on a 12 games unbeaten run in europe. Had a rough period in the league with a bunch of draws but that was mostly my fault for not having enough coverage in defence when injuries and suspensions were kicking my ass and we had 2 games every week.

s1.png

el.png

Posted (edited)

Incredible Tactic got me promoted from Spanish second tier with Zaragoza. After finishing 6th in year 2 and 2nd in year 3 and winning the cup and euro cup II, we started year 4 by battering Real Madrid 8-0 with the 6th best squad in the league.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Ashil04

I need to give this a go, the formation and roles looks like it'll create some beautiful movement and plays.