New board buying players I dont want

New president forcibly signed two players (could not cancel transfer offer / withdraw contract offer) that used up the rest of my budget that I'd been building up for years, and that don't fit into my tactic at all, to boot. But that's not why I'm posting.

Because then the board complained about the transfers for the salaries being too high (board transfer reaction grade E for both). Couldn't make this #@*! up.

Totally killed the save.

9 hours ago, avseg said:

New president forcibly signed two players (could not cancel transfer offer / withdraw contract offer) that used up the rest of my budget that I'd been building up for years, and that don't fit into my tactic at all, to boot. But that's not why I'm posting.

Because then the board complained about the transfers for the salaries being too high (board transfer reaction grade E for both). Couldn't make this #@*! up.

Totally killed the save.

Sounds like a bug. The transfers made by the new board are not supposed to count towards the budget. Every one I’ve seen worked this way.

You should post your save in the bugs section. If you have the save BEFORE the transfers happened, even better. That’s what the Devs always want.

14 hours ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Sounds like a bug. The transfers made by the new board are not supposed to count towards the budget. Every one I’ve seen worked this way.

You should post your save in the bugs section. If you have the save BEFORE the transfers happened, even better. That’s what the Devs always want.

Their contracts ate up the payroll. And yeah, I'd sure hope it's bugged since the board sure shouldn't ding me for contracts I didn't even want, much less approve, either!

Edited by avseg

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had this happen to me. New board takeover at Southend. They kindly gave me £15m in one hand but signed two players for a total £80m! For two players I don't want. 

Does this come out of the account or does the new board pay for it?

On 08/07/2020 at 05:42, avseg said:

Totally killed the save.

You should watch Sunderland Till I Die... This is perfectly realistic!

The owner of Sunderland sells the league top scorer in January for a pittance, and buys Will Grigg for millions of pounds - even though the manager says he isn't worth more than a million and he doesn't want him. A couple episodes later (later the same season) the owners are talking about how it's the manager's fault that Grigg doesn't perform and how the manager isn't getting enough out of such an expensive player. Manager ends up getting fired after a disappointing season without promotion.

Sucks to be a manager in that position, but it's ultimately not YOUR club and dumb stuff like this happens all over the world IRL.

Back in the days... I think it was in FM06 (??) it happened frequently. I wanted to play to our youth system and bring up young talents, but the board expectations were often like "add at least 1-2 big signings during transfer window" and if you ignored that expectation (that I frequently did) they just took over and signed a new striker or smth for appr. 50-60% of the transfer funds.

What could make it more realistic in the future FM releases is if it is tied to manager reputation. If you're virtually unknown or just starting your career, the fact that the board wants to bully you and get things their way should not be surprising, but if you have a couple of Champions League wins under your belt or you're club legend in your current position you should have the ultimate decision who to sign.

In real life questions like this (who will decide transfers) are often discussed when manager is hired and the manager in such clubs (as Chelsea in Abramovich era) kind of has to understand in advance that he's in the business with the owner who likes to meddle in things. So you can always decline the position or agree certain terms that will give you control over transfers. Obviously, new board has not agreed those terms and so doesn't have to keep those promises, but in the real football world you can't really imagine that the board will go against Klopp or Guardiola in those decisions.

22 minutes ago, Draakon said:

What could make it more realistic in the future FM releases is if it is tied to manager reputation. If you're virtually unknown or just starting your career, the fact that the board wants to bully you and get things their way should not be surprising, but if you have a couple of Champions League wins under your belt or you're club legend in your current position you should have the ultimate decision who to sign.

I doubt SI will ever go down that road. Too many players would complain about this. The only way I could see that happening is if it would be optional like you can choose to play with or without attribute masking when starting a save.

Personally I think it would be great addition to FM. Many clubs have Directors of Football or Technical Directors or some other position to deal with transfers. I follow Milan, it was Maldini and Boban in charge of transfer market, not Gianpaolo or Pioli. I recently watched Monchi masterclass on youtube. In Sevilla the manager asks for specific profile of player, for example attacking FB with good technique, then they go through their scouted players and come back to him with the list of suitable players that are also affordable by the club. Monchi says, if a manager knows someone from that list and wants him they go for that player even if they think there are better options on the list. But that is how they do in Sevilla. In some clubs, managers probably have even less power.

The way it works now, it's really meaningless when I'm on the job interview and they ask me if I'm comfortable working with their Director of Football when I can say "Sure!" and then when I am there, strip him of all responsibilities. 

I wonder if anyone ever requested this in feuture section, might do a search later to find out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2020 at 09:09, yolixeya said:

I doubt SI will ever go down that road. Too many players would complain about this. The only way I could see that happening is if it would be optional like you can choose to play with or without attribute masking when starting a save.

Personally I think it would be great addition to FM. Many clubs have Directors of Football or Technical Directors or some other position to deal with transfers. I follow Milan, it was Maldini and Boban in charge of transfer market, not Gianpaolo or Pioli. I recently watched Monchi masterclass on youtube. In Sevilla the manager asks for specific profile of player, for example attacking FB with good technique, then they go through their scouted players and come back to him with the list of suitable players that are also affordable by the club. Monchi says, if a manager knows someone from that list and wants him they go for that player even if they think there are better options on the list. But that is how they do in Sevilla. In some clubs, managers probably have even less power.

The way it works now, it's really meaningless when I'm on the job interview and they ask me if I'm comfortable working with their Director of Football when I can say "Sure!" and then when I am there, strip him of all responsibilities. 

I wonder if anyone ever requested this in feuture section, might do a search later to find out.

I think how to balance this is going to be big challenge for SI in the future as you need a balance of realism and fun.

For me personally, FM with realistic DoF wouldn't be fun at all- scouting, negotiating transfers, squad building are all key parts of the game I love. Take those away and you take a large chunk of my enjoyment.

I wonder as you say if they will need an option at the start of the save to play in DoF mode or manager mode so the more hardcore realism fans can play in one way and folks like me can play in another.

4 hours ago, KingCanary said:

For me personally, FM with realistic DoF wouldn't be fun at all- scouting, negotiating transfers, squad building are all key parts of the game I love. Take those away and you take a large chunk of my enjoyment.

I wonder as you say if they will need an option at the start of the save to play in DoF mode or manager mode so the more hardcore realism fans can play in one way and folks like me can play in another.

I like scouting and bringing new players too, as the matter of fact, bringing new players is my favourite part of the game. I think the mode that I would enjoy the most would be that you are forced to work with DoF at first but that with time, the more seasons you spend in the club the board has more trust in you ad you can take over more responsibilities. So in a few seasons, you could have all the responsibilities like we have now. That would be my go to mode. Best of both worlds.

• 4 months later...

I realize that this topic is old (FM20), so sorry if I'm reviving it or anything.  I'm on FM21, first year save with Newcastle. Managed to book a CL spot and sniped a ton of regens, yet I had the exact same problem with the new chairman. Appearantly he promised to buy two (awful) players as part of his campaign. I was unable to cancel the transfers from the "Transfers" menu on the left side of the screen and found this thread as I was looking online for a solution. I couldn't find a way out and it seemed as though I had to accept the situation but while I was looking at the players, I realized that on the drop down "Transfer" menu on the player screen, there is actually an option to "Cancel Transfer". I just wanted to post it here in case anyone else had this problem.

1 hour ago, cavitozturkler said:

I realize that this topic is old (FM20), so sorry if I'm reviving it or anything.  I'm on FM21, first year save with Newcastle. Managed to book a CL spot and sniped a ton of regens, yet I had the exact same problem with the new chairman. Appearantly he promised to buy two (awful) players as part of his campaign. I was unable to cancel the transfers from the "Transfers" menu on the left side of the screen and found this thread as I was looking online for a solution. I couldn't find a way out and it seemed as though I had to accept the situation but while I was looking at the players, I realized that on the drop down "Transfer" menu on the player screen, there is actually an option to "Cancel Transfer". I just wanted to post it here in case anyone else had this problem.

If that is true it must be a new feature because i am certain it was never there in previous versions