New board buying players I dont want

Just playing with Newcastle at the moment and the board has just been taking over by a consortium. I havent delegated the buying of players to anyone, preferring to buy my own players that fit the scheme I want to play.

So the new board has taken over and made two massive offers for players that I do not want. Both of these players combined cost almost 70 million. I only have 16 million in my transfer budget and 77 million in total.

Is there anyway I can stop this? I dont want these players at all but there is no option to withdraw the bid

15 minutes ago, oblongata21 said:

Just playing with Newcastle at the moment and the board has just been taking over by a consortium. I havent delegated the buying of players to anyone, preferring to buy my own players that fit the scheme I want to play.

So the new board has taken over and made two massive offers for players that I do not want. Both of these players combined cost almost 70 million. I only have 16 million in my transfer budget and 77 million in total.

Is there anyway I can stop this? I dont want these players at all but there is no option to withdraw the bid

Happened to me, Ashley sold up and the new owners came in and bought Ntcham from Celtic. He's ahhful!

This seems very much to be a new feature this year. Happening all over the place. Although ingrained in reality it is a bit frustrating. 

The money spent on players by a new takeover shouldn’t come out of your transfer budget, however I’ve heard that bank loans are often needed!

The change this year for me is that previously I’ve often been actively willing for a take over. This year I’m praying it doesn’t happen!

6 minutes ago, sidslayer said:

This seems very much to be a new feature this year. Happening all over the place. Although ingrained in reality it is a bit frustrating. 

The money spent on players by a new takeover shouldn’t come out of your transfer budget, however I’ve heard that bank loans are often needed!

The change this year for me is that previously I’ve often been actively willing for a take over. This year I’m praying it doesn’t happen!

I did notice it hasnt been taken from my budget, in fact the new board increased my budget.

Its more of a problem that I had my own targets for that position and I already had a few that can play there. Would be nice to get a say in it.

15 hours ago, sidslayer said:

Happening more and more in modern day football unfortunately...

I know its realistic but still would be good to get the option when you have taken control of the transfers.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to work with it :)

36 minutes ago, amberhelix said:

Just out of interest what are the big name examples of this in the real world?

The obvious one being Abramovic. Who signed a lot of players over the top of the manager. PSG buy players over the managers head too. Watford are part of a larger network of clubs where the owners are pretty much deciding what player moves where (I do not know if the manager gets any input at all here). Similar things happen at the RB clubs. I could imagine something similar at Wolves (although I am not sure) given the influx of Portuguese players. That seems like something particular.

It is actually becoming more common. I can see why it is annoying though, and I sympathize.

I think there should be an option to have the board not interfering with player transfers: I understand the realism and everything, but the game is much more enjoyable and entertaining when we can actually build up the team as we wish.

So in real-life it seems to be at clubs where there is some extraordinary ownership model. Oil money sportswashers, fizzy drink franchises, and whatever that crazy family at Watford are up to?

It seems that some people like the feature from reading here, but if it happens in my Liverpool save I'm done! I guess it's how you play the game - I build a whole club, I'm in charge of everything and never delegate a single thing - this would annoy me beyond belief. As a poster above suggests, some game 'features' would benefit from an options menu on or off switch.

56 minutes ago, amberhelix said:

So in real-life it seems to be at clubs where there is some extraordinary ownership model. Oil money sportswashers, fizzy drink franchises, and whatever that crazy family at Watford are up to?

It seems that some people like the feature from reading here, but if it happens in my Liverpool save I'm done! I guess it's how you play the game - I build a whole club, I'm in charge of everything and never delegate a single thing - this would annoy me beyond belief. As a poster above suggests, some game 'features' would benefit from an options menu on or off switch.

To be fair it's not like Liverpool's board don't have history of going over the manager's head when it comes to transfers (although moreso blocking signings the manager wanted rather than buying unwanted players)

6 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

To be fair it's not like Liverpool's board don't have history of going over the manager's head when it comes to transfers (although moreso blocking signings the manager wanted rather than buying unwanted players)

The specific subject of this thread does not happen at Liverpool, don't know where you get that. As for a board sometimes limiting transfers the manager wants - isn't that all of football since time began?

2 minutes ago, amberhelix said:

The specific subject of this thread does not happen at Liverpool, don't know where you get that. As for a board sometimes limiting transfers the manager wants - isn't that all of football since time began?

Do you not remember Firmimo? He was by definition a Board-driven signing, not one wanted by the manager at the time in Rodgers, who wanted Benteke instead.

Just now, autohoratio said:

Do you not remember Firmimo? He was by definition a Board-driven signing, not one wanted by the manager at the time in Rodgers, who wanted Benteke instead.

Absolutely, but the 'transfer committee' that liked Firmino still included Rodgers who ultimately agreed the signing. Manager has final veto in our system. They had to move quickly because of the Copa America so it became a story as Rodgers was known to be after Benteke .......  who was also signed three weeks later. Not quite as you make it appear. 

They need to add the role of head coach as apposed to manager.

In some modern setups  I think the DoF make the signings. Not sure whoever manages PSG has a lot of choice in players. Even at Arsenal Mustafi was apparently a gazidis buy against Wengers wishes. 

ive been waiting for a more realistic board structure for a long time. 

13 hours ago, gibbo11 said:

As 'harsh' as it is in your own game, it's something I've been crying out for for years. I love this seems to have become a thing as I like the immersion of it in-game, and it's likeness to realism

Its true, definitely more realistic. Just be better to have  a choice in the matter. I actually did get a decent player though, luckily i didnt end up with 3 flops.

What kind of owner does this anyway? Is my new chairman a sugardaddy? Like an Abramovich

In fact, except in England, the rest of the world "managers" are just coaches in charge of day to day training and managing matches. The director of football , the board or the owners make the transfers and manage the financial side of the club.

The head coach culture is very different outside England. 

• SI Staff

For clarification, this is just when a new board takes over/is elected.

Discussion of boards signing players without the manager's input under normal circumstances is valid, but not something currently modelled in FM.

43 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

For clarification, this is just when a new board takes over/is elected.

Discussion of boards signing players without the manager's input under normal circumstances is valid, but not something currently modelled in FM.

So this only happens at point of takeover and not mid way through an ownership then? Interesting

An interesting point i’m getting through from this is that, although the new board is signing players we as managers may not want, at least the players being bought are, on whole it would seem, acceptable purchases.  The right calibre for probably a little over realistic fee.

That’s pretty impressive. Anyone had a player bought for them that goes against this?

14 hours ago, sidslayer said:

acceptable purchases

This is the thing for me though. I make rules for my save as do lots of people - this year I'm going for a youth focus and won't sign anyone over 19 from the start of the game. Total focus on development. If I put in the usual hundreds of hours this year and build a great save where I'm proud of the planning and structure I've built, but then a consortium arrives and gives me Messi and Suarez, then I'd be done. I plan my squads meticulously (finances too), I love the admin of FM, and if I start to get bypassed as a manager by new head coach features then I for one will be frustrated. My opinion is all.

On 27/11/2019 at 16:06, sidslayer said:

If you had the choice it wouldn’t be realistic.

I know.

My point was some people dont like to play realistic. Some people impose rules on themselves, like only buying under 21 players or something. If a board starts buying players for them, it might kind of screw that up.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m playing as Arsenal, 4 seasons in, 3 league titles. Got Pepe, Saka, Almada, Martinelli and a new wonderkid just signed all for AMR AML. Long awaited board takeover and they sign Dembele for 130 mill and richalison for 40 mill. Didn’t come out of my budget but did hammer the finances over all, desperate for a full back though! Will have to load out one of my regular players as the board reckon we will make a killing out of shirt sales from dembele, richalison is already out of the door for a cut price.

Same happend to me in Man utd. They got me stupid dembele from Barcelona, and I have 3 players or that position already, I think I'll put him on TL instantly. The other one was Arthur, with is not to bad, but they are both on 400k wages, insanly high. Really hated it, and I can confirm, it doesn't take your transfer budget. 

On 07/12/2019 at 09:59, greenjob said:

I’m playing as Arsenal, 4 seasons in, 3 league titles. Got Pepe, Saka, Almada, Martinelli and a new wonderkid just signed all for AMR AML. Long awaited board takeover and they sign Dembele for 130 mill and richalison for 40 mill. Didn’t come out of my budget but did hammer the finances over all, desperate for a full back though! Will have to load out one of my regular players as the board reckon we will make a killing out of shirt sales from dembele, richalison is already out of the door for a cut price.

My board got me dembele as well in man utd. Its really annoying. I had setup for some great talents in that position. I'm gonna put him on list instantly 

• 2 months later...

It's year 2026, Bournemouth just had a 6-month embargo then the new board bought the now 22yo Jude Bellingham for £108M and another 21yo Brazilian for £144M. My record signing before this was £46M. So now we're £110M in debt. They're good players but I don't even need them. Would've appreciated it if the board asked what position I need to splash cash in. I badly need a replacement GK

• 1 month later...
On 26/11/2019 at 15:55, Delvi said:

I think there should be an option to have the board not interfering with player transfers: I understand the realism and everything, but the game is much more enjoyable and entertaining when we can actually build up the team as we wish.

Agree 100%. So no chance to disability that feature?

This happend to me too. in 2030 my president for Real Madrid promised that he would sign two players for a total of 2.5 billions SEK if he got re-elected. I don't have place  for them in the squad and i have lots of talants that i rather want to give some minutes.

The players aren't bad at all, matter fact they are world class but I just don't need them.

A little motivation for this save has disapperead but i guess I have do deal with it.

Edited by Acelito

On 07/12/2019 at 11:08, evertonmarc said:

If they put a bid in for a player, as soon as you see the message, just go to the contract drop down (should be an option withdraw contract or change contract).

Allows you to cancel transfers arranged by someone else

I'll definitely try that as soon as possible. thanks 

15 hours ago, Mcfc1894 said:

This feature needs binning for FM 21 realistic or not building your own team is the most fun part of the game imo and this just is destroying that completely 

Seems to be a recurring thing every new game. Players complain the game is not realistic enough > SI adds in a bunch of ******** but realistic mechanics > Pleayers complain it's too realistic > Repeat.

In one of my last saves with FM20 my board brought in a DC with a silly high wage. I did not want him, and I did not need him as I already had two better DC:s at my disposal. To be fair, both of these was convertet DMC:s, so I guess the AI figured I did'nt have enough DC:s.

• 3 weeks later...

This just happened to me.....

So I'll be using the in game editor to undo all of these transfers.

Any other suggestions?

PS It'd also be "realistic" if a manager died midway through a game but probably would also undermine the experience somewhat....

PPS The whole premise of Football Manager is that it gives the player the ability to control a football club. The level of control is greater than a manager would have in real life in any event and managing transfers is one of the most important and most enjoyable parts of the game experience. 

• 2 months later...

So what actually happens if you downright refuse to use the new signings and throw them into the reserves?

Are you in danger of being sacked? 'Cause that's exactly what I'd do... 

I was taken over as Ajax, but luckily, no one was bought by the new board. 

Edited by Gungner

On 26/11/2019 at 14:32, sporadicsmiles said:

I could imagine something similar at Wolves (although I am not sure) given the influx of Portuguese players. That seems like something particular.

It is actually becoming more common. I can see why it is annoying though, and I sympathize.

I’m sure wolves manager’s agent is the guy scouting/suggesting these player for the club. So I doubt he isn’t giving his client a heads up or even asking what type of player he needs.

The only “funny” signing I can imagine was the curtrone guy (the st from ac Milan that’s now at florentine I think)

he was only there for 6 months seemed like he was never gonna fit in.

My board signed Dominguez for around £50mil for my Man Utd team and  sent him straight to the reserves and tried selling him straight away but he only went out on loan to Napoli and now hes out again the 2nd season, didn't get sacked or annoy the board funnily enough.