Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
kirby511372

[FM20] Mentoring - Signing players to be mentors only

Hi guys, 

Hoping for some guidance. I'm about halfway through my first season at Arsenal in FM20. This is my first FM since FM17 so a bit of an adjustment with the new mentoring system (which I do like as the old one in retrospect was pretty OP). 

With Arsenal however, in setting up mentoring groups and seeing the most influential players in the squad I've noticed that there is an abundance of players with undesirable personalities, undesirable traits, or undesirable hidden attributes. I like to focus on youth and therefore I'm hoping to get some more positive role models in the side. 

I've been toying with the idea of signing some players relatively cheaply to act solely as mentors, but focusing on those with good personalities and attributes. As an example, I've looked at Valere Germain from Marseille (who I could get for <10million pounds) with a Model Citizen personality, good determination, and positive big matches and consistency. 

Has anyone else had any luck with this or thoughts about it in general? One thing I'm concerned about is that these players I'd buy wouldn't play much so not sure how easily they'd increase their standing in the squad and thereby their influence in these mentoring groups. 

I've had luck with Darren Fletcher at Man Utd. He came in, and immediately had 'significant' influence on the group I put him in, despite not being a Team Leader (is in the Highly Influential group). 

7 hours ago, Spiegel said:

I've had luck with Darren Fletcher at Man Utd. He came in, and immediately had 'significant' influence on the group I put him in, despite not being a Team Leader (is in the Highly Influential group). 

It seems like former players with good rep can work. So OP could try Cesc depending on his personality etc.

This changed in FM19. Before you could just sign anyone.

9 hours ago, kirby511372 said:

and positive big matches and consistency

fyi some hidden attributes (such as these two) will not be affected by Mentoring (or Tutoring in FM17 that you've been playing).

Also be aware that there is more to Mentoring than simply plonking any old player with a decent personality into a Mentoring group with lots of young players.  Squad Dynamics and the standing of the "Mentor(s)" within the squad also play a part.  So by all means buy in a player with a good personality, but there are no guarantees he'll immediately be an "influential" squad member and unless you give him the game time he expects, he'll likely cause more issues in your squad than he solves.

Mentoring is not the same thing as Tutoring in a group.

17 minutes ago, herne79 said:

fyi some hidden attributes (such as these two) will not be affected by Mentoring (or Tutoring in FM17 that you've been playing).

Also be aware that there is more to Mentoring than simply plonking any old player with a decent personality into a Mentoring group with lots of young players.  Squad Dynamics and the standing of the "Mentor(s)" within the squad also play a part.  So by all means buy in a player with a good personality, but there are no guarantees he'll immediately be an "influential" squad member and unless you give him the game time he expects, he'll likely cause more issues in your squad than he solves.

Mentoring is not the same thing as Tutoring in a group.

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like I've got some thinking to do then! 

1 hour ago, kirby511372 said:

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like I've got some thinking to do then! 

If you don't mind a little reading, there's a couple of decent guides pinned to the top of the forum which go into more detail :thup:.

On 24/11/2019 at 12:02, herne79 said:

If you don't mind a little reading, there's a couple of decent guides pinned to the top of the forum which go into more detail :thup:.

Apologies for the basic question, but how can I access the pinned guides you describe? Can't see anything at the top of the forum.