Sports Interactive Community
Pendraz

No through balls? Bad decisions?

Game breaking in my opinion.

The game is just crossing simulator right now and even when my wingers are in positions to cross / cut back, they just go for goal and hit side netting or take too long and come back on their other foot.

Edited by ChelseaFan

Just bumping the thread up... I am not looking for an answer or anything... I would be happy enough if any SI employee actually downloaded the PKMs, since it still shows they have been downloaded 0 times. Thanks.

Almost zero forward passes from attacking players, I agree I would call this game breaking. This is a massive issue that was highlighted during the beta and during the beta of FM19. Two versions now with no forward passes.

A member of the SI ME team did respond to my thread during the FM20nbeta and said it was under investigation but, wouldn't commit to any solution to fix it because it could potentially have a major knock on effects to other parts of the ME

It feels the same as before. The only "through balls" are long passes over the top, usually from some defender with poor passing. You'd think that's good and creates chances right? But no, because in every game the goalkeeper will make an amazing save or the forward will just strike right at the goalkeeper and it's saved.
In this game I had 9 clear cut chances, many of which I interpret as 1v1 and none were put away. And all were boring ball over the top, which is not what I asked my team to do in instructions. To add insult to injury the last 1v1 hit the post. It's absolutely absurd. 

I started playing FM 17 again and the amount of movement in forwards and midfielders making runs into the box is completely different to FM20. The team would actually make through balls, and I mean by that short passes on the ground to slice the defense open. I don't understand why that's no longer in the game 2 years later?

I don't mean to sound negative I am just very frustrated at the cycles of patches moving the problem to another area. Thank you for taking the time to investigate.

EDIT: after starting a test save with Liverpool in premier league I suspect the issues may be limited to Lower League saves? Will do more testing to see further.So far in premier league I see good teamwork, crossing, squaring the ball, finishing good 1v1 chances, generally better more attractive football. It makes sense since player quality is miles better, however, LLM seems to be broken if that's the case because even there players should still be able to score and do basic passing.

Slough v Oxford City.pkm

Edited by PassIntoSpace

On 05/12/2019 at 15:25, Jemal Wiseman said:

Hi all,

How is this issue feeling for you now after the update?

Thanks

Jemal 

Hi Jemal,

Much better, if anything, I see too much precision in the long high balls over the defence.

In general I am happy with the number of attempts and when they are attempted, it's just that the players seem to be too good at timing the runs / passes and as mentioned to do so with an amazing precision to have the ball land right on their feet as they run in the space. Could see that happening once in a while when the pass is made by a high technique player, but not as easily as it's happening now.

On 05/12/2019 at 20:55, Jemal Wiseman said:

Hi all,

How is this issue feeling for you now after the update?

Thanks

Jemal 

Better but defence needs to be improved against them, they seem to react very poorly against through balls compared to strikers. Thankfully strikers barely ever finish those chances which is a problem of it's own but also a blessing in this case.

12 minutes ago, witchplease said:

Better but defence needs to be improved against them, they seem to react very poorly against through balls compared to strikers. Thankfully strikers barely ever finish those chances which is a problem of it's own but also a blessing in this case.

I agree. Through balls are better in the patch (the ones over smaller distances could still be improved), but the defenders are too easily caught on the wrong foot. Theres a lot of 1vs1 which is still a about a 1 to 3 conversion rate.

Edited by Hanga

1 minute ago, Hanga said:

Theres a lot of 1vs1 which is still a about a 1 to 3 conversion rate.

It's 1 in 3 conversion rate for you ? For me it's been like 1 in 10 at most though maybe some of them weren't exactly 1v1s, still quite terrible conversion rate.

Noticed that high defensive line is actually effective against through balls this patch. Due to playing high up the pitch most chances from your opponents would be 1v1s but they rarely ever score them while you would create less 1v1s and more other sort of chances. Atleast that's the case for me and it's bit game ruining as i am winning or drawing the games i shouldn't be able to while conceding tons of 1v1s.

2 minutes ago, witchplease said:

It's 1 in 3 conversion rate for you ? For me it's been like 1 in 10 at most though maybe some of them weren't exactly 1v1s, still quite terrible conversion rate.

Noticed that high defensive line is actually effective against through balls this patch. Due to playing high up the pitch most chances from your opponents would be 1v1s but they rarely ever score them while you would create less 1v1s and more other sort of chances. Atleast that's the case for me and it's bit game ruining as i am winning or drawing the games i shouldn't be able to while conceding tons of 1v1s.

Maybe I have just been lucky or on a good run, but I have scored quite a lot of goals on through balls. But 1v1 is certainly more often a miss than a goal, and that should not be the case. You can be sure that your player will miss if he got to the chance on a solo run.

@Jemal Wiseman Although there were small improvements in the last patch to through ball decision making in the final 1/3 are we likely to see any additional improvements in this area?

One concern of mine is that the next patch might reduce the number of through balls to help with the 1 v 1 situation?

On 07/12/2019 at 10:11, Hanga said:

But 1v1 is certainly more often a miss than a goal, and that should not be the case. 

That absolutely should be the case. In real life 1 on 1s are about 35% to score.